Votes: 252 96.2%
  • Accidental

Votes: 10 3.8%

• Total voters

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Intentional and he should have been red carded for the second so called "accident".

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The way to determine whether it was intentional or not without reading Barton's mind is by asking a different question: Was it AVOIDABLE?
Well, yes, it was. After hurdling Kayal, it would have been easy for Barton to use his right leg to take the weight and avoid the leg, but instead he let himself land on him. Indefensible, why on earth the pundits let Dyche try and talk his way out of admitting Barton should have been off was ridiculous. They put him in front of that clip, and as soon as its clear he didn't have the class to concede the obvious they should have laughed at how deluded he is. And clearly its not Hughton's nature, but you do wonder how he can say he didn't think it was intentional and the battle between the two was nothing more than 'competitive'. If Pawson clearly wasn't going to, someone has got to protect the players...

I would be truly embarrassed to have Sean Dyche as manager of a club I supported.
I have heard him defending the indefensible for so long now that every interview he gives is comical and predictable. You are right. He has no class and that's why Watford shipped him out. He clearly lacks any maturity to present a balanced view on anything. At Turf Moor, he described our opening goal ( catching them cold from the kick off, with a well worked move ) as a succession of lucky breaks. He described their gift of a penalty as a stonewall and clear decision.
I thought Eddie Howe was bad. One-eyed in the extreme. This guy beats him hands down. No mention of how his team were outplayed for long periods on Saturday, no credit to Brighton at all. No, Burnley were the better team in the second half and deserved to win. Only denied that victory due to a poor decision.
Dyche is child-like in his immaturity and lets his profession down with ill-judged and one-sided comments.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would be truly embarrassed to have Sean Dyche as manager of a club I supported.
I have heard him defending the indefensible for so long now that every interview he gives is comical and predictable. You are right. He has no class and that's why Watford shipped him out. He clearly lacks any maturity to present a balanced view on anything. At Turf Moor, he described our opening goal ( catching them cold from the kick off, with a well worked move ) as a succession of lucky breaks. He described their gift of a penalty as a stonewall and clear decision.
I thought Eddie Howe was bad. One-eyed in the extreme. This guy beats him hands down. No mention of how his team were outplayed for long periods on Saturday, no credit to Brighton at all. No, Burnley were the better team in the second half and deserved to win. Only denied that victory due to a poor decision.
Dyche is child-like in his immaturity and lets his profession down with ill-judged and one-sided comments.

Yep he went down hugely in my estimation on saturday, I understand a Manager will back his own side to the hilt, but not an ounce of credit given to the opposition and believing his side were the better team is quite remarkable.
Everyone in the ground, even the away end knew Burnley had got away with a point at the end of the day, and that all the football was played by us.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
The really sad thing is that he'll get a standing ovation from Burnley fans tomorrow night.

Twisted :nono:

Best forget it, leave karma to send him or stretcher him off.

All about Birmingham now.

I'd say intentional as well, however....... :) It strikes me that football has changed a lot since I started going to watch the Albion at the Goldstone, this was when men were men, it was a hard game watched by working class lads and men and a time when the North Stand would openly applaud Jimmy Case for employing very similar tactics. Unfortunately now football has become very sanitised in the main, theatrics from our European cousins and the audience joining in, baying for a yellow or red at every incident. Yes it was dirty and yes it was intentional but Barton was our pantomime villain for the day.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Clear downward motion applied on one of his legs, not just coming down naturally under gravity. How there's even any debate is baffling to me. And I love the stock answer of any footballer called out on a moment of thuggery by either fans or reporters; 'You've never played the game.' Entirely irrelevant argument - we all know what we're seeing. Do only former pro's get to comment on the game now? That'd be a sad lookout for the quality of footy debate.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Another incident that shows how far behind both codes of rugby our beautiful game is.

It must be time to introduce a "citing officer". The standard of officials in the Championship (and presumably below) is now so incompetent that some performances (like Pawson's on Saturday) are even making it look like some of them are taking a back-hander.

For those that don't follow Rugby Union, each side has a "citing officer" who can refer incidents to a disciplinary panel when the officials err or miss serious foul play.

In Rugby League, the ref can put a player "on report" when he is unsure of the seriousness of foul play and the sanction to be applied.

Neither is ideal as the offending player is not instantly dismissed, but the panel reviews the evidence and really hammers the miscreants with long bans if there is evidence of serious foul play.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Yep he went down hugely in my estimation on saturday, I understand a Manager will back his own side to the hilt, but not an ounce of credit given to the opposition and believing his side were the better team is quite remarkable.
Everyone in the ground, even the away end knew Burnley had got away with a point at the end of the day, and that all the football was played by us.

exactly....he would have been high as a kite on his own importance after masterminding an escape act that was thoroughly undeserved.....northern kaaaant....!!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
What gets me is the argument that because it was Barton the assumption of guilt is greater than if it was any other player, because of his reputation, which is deemed as unfair.

But isn't that the point? Barton has made his career out of being a thug and he is far more likely to be guilty on that basis. On the law of averages excluding the goalie, there was a 1 in 10 chance for any of the Burnley players to commit that foul - but it was Barton.....

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
What gets me is the argument that because it was Barton the assumption of guilt is greater than if it was any other player, because of his reputation, which is deemed as unfair.

But isn't that the point? Barton has made his career out of being a thug and he is far more likely to be guilty on that basis. On the law of averages excluding the goalie, there was a 1 in 10 chance for any of the Burnley players to commit that foul - but it was Barton.....

Same as Robbie Savage who I believe only got sent off once in his career :) Look at Shearer in his prime, this is a man who probably used his elbow in every game he played but he is a legend and an inspiration, it's all about perception.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I'd say intentional as well, however....... :) It strikes me that football has changed a lot since I started going to watch the Albion at the Goldstone, this was when men were men, it was a hard game watched by working class lads and men and a time when the North Stand would openly applaud Jimmy Case for employing very similar tactics. Unfortunately now football has become very sanitised in the main, theatrics from our European cousins and the audience joining in, baying for a yellow or red at every incident. Yes it was dirty and yes it was intentional but Barton was our pantomime villain for the day.

Absolutely nothing hard or manly about what Barton did. It was cowardly & pathetic.
I played in harder times & if someone had done that theyd've had their jaw broken

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Time to move on.

He's a thug, his manager is a tool.

Let them know when they next come to the Amex. Best ignored until then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here