Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Insuring a car for a teenager

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Daughter paid £1400 for a black box aged 18 1st year,went with a 2nd company in here now (2nd) year of driving (mum) named driver but daughter as main driver of course,£750- all in all i think is reasonable,that without black box..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you used to be able to get decent insurance with some of the classic car insurers, not as a classic car policy (which require it to be a second car and no NCB), just they recognised classic cars drivers as low risk even if they are 17. of course, this did mean having to drive something 30-40 years old with bottle tops for brakes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You are too old for one of those surely?

The young lad who works in my local has one of these kept getting a bollocking from his insurance company for driving late at night. He ended up getting a letter from the landlord saying he was required to work in the evening which meant he would have to drive post midnight. Can only assume they think you've been out up to no good if you are driving late at night??

Admiral told me it was simply risk factors - more at-fault accidents from teenagers driving late at night than at other times, hence avoid where possible, particularly if it's around town (guess this would be the 'showing off to mates' types of accident)

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
My daughter passed at 18 and we got her a Peugeot 208, 1100 engine and got it insured with Tescos, with a black box. She wasnt allowed to do more than 5000 miles per year, and the box checks her driving speeds, accelerations etc.Think it cost about £800 for first year, fully comp was cheaper than 3rd party fire and theft, even though the car only cost £1200.
Having me and the wife as named drivers brought the cost down.
After the first year, it went down to about £600. No claims, and good report from the box monitoring helped.
She is only 20in May, so another year and it should drop considerably, hopefully

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Initially I used Admiral multi car with 18yo as named driver. 6 months in she almost wrote off the car. Admiral did have her earning NCB despite the accident. Two years on she moved away and her insurance was £800 just for her in a 1000cc jalopy with a black box. Fourth year and down to £400 and a NCB to boot.
So whoever you use ensure they are building a NCB

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I guess the main job of an insurance company is to manage their exposure to risk in away that generates acceptable returns for their shareholders.

When you consider that 17 to 19-year-old drivers make up only 1.5% of licence holders but are involved in 12% of deaths or serious injury accidents and one in five newly qualified young drivers have an accident within six months of passing their test, the premiums charged are understandable.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Went through a ridiculous process trying to insure my oldest. Eventually settled on a young drivers policy with a phone app via a broker backed off to Aviva, with my wife named as main driver. This came out at £900 compared to cmaprison sites that were quoting £1500 best price.

When she phoned them to query why she needed the app not my son, they promptly cancelled the cover, as my wife could not be covered by the policy. I checked the wording and filled out her details correctly, none of which made any difference.

Next stop I went directly to Aviva, got the same cover for £750 and no need for any app - makes no sense.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
Just got insurance for my daughter who passed her test at 17 years 8 months on our 1.3 Ford Ka.

We used price comparison websites and went to a number of others directly. It was cheapest to insure her fully comp in the end with a black box using More Than. The cost was £1,500 and she's limited to 6k miles pa so we are having to manage the mileage a bit. She's off to Uni later this year hopefully so that limit should be fine.

It's certainly not cheap but there's no really easy way for the young to build up their NCB unless they forget about driving until they are 25!

The telematics are useful - we regularly check her scores with her and pull her up if we see a minus score for speed on a particular journey. Her smoothness scores are usually perfect but she sometimes clocks a lower usage score as very short journeys or later evening ones automatically score lower due to the the increased risk. Not much she can do about that if she's using the car to get home from her part time job at a local pub though. In the main she's being very careful and it got her to college during all the train strikes so it's been worth doing.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
We went with Ingenie. Black box, no curfew or mileage restrictions, we get a monthly assessment on how she's going on braking, speed, acceleration and cornering. Cost around £900 but if your driving is good, you get money back. This is on a mk2 Nissan micra 1 litre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here