Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Insurance question

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
The wife is trying to renew her car insurance. Last year she hit a pot hole that cost £300 to replace 2 blown tyres. We tried to claim compensation from the local authority but they lied and said there was no pot hole but subsequently filled it a few weeks later.

My insurance company upped my policy because when I renewed they said my wife, as a named driver, had made a claim although she had only enquired to her company and not actually made a claim. They said there was a register of claims and it should be declared when applying for insurance or the insurance would be invalid.

Now as she is trying to renew her insurance she is being quoted an extra £60 as she has declared the pot hole incident even though no claim was made. We are already £300 out of pocket from the pot hole and are now being penalised for a claim that was never made.

The question is does she need to declare the claim that was not really a claim or should we ignore it and risk having invalid insurance and save £60 on the policy renewal

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Declare it otherwise if she needs to claim in the future they could claim that non disclosure invalidates her cover. I think (not 100% sure) that you have to declare all claims or “accidents” irrespective if you followed it up with a claim. I witnessed a car roll accident in 2020. Because I took evasive action but waited until the police arrived, I was subsequently sent a letter as having been involved in an accident, which, like you, cost me +£40 at renewal time.

Remember, insurance companies aren’t interested in fairness, only how they can avoid paying out if at all possible.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Declare it otherwise if she needs to claim in the future they could claim that non disclosure invalidates her cover. I think (not 100% sure) that you have to declare all claims or “accidents” irrespective if you followed it up with a claim. I witnessed a car roll accident in 2020. Because I took evasive action but waited until the police arrived, I was subsequently sent a letter as having been involved in an accident, which, like you, cost me +£40 at renewal time.

Remember, insurance companies aren’t interested in fairness, only how they can avoid paying out if at all possible.
I guess this is the world we are living in….scandalous!

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Quite bizarrely, are you also named on her policy as a named driver? Not sure why, but that has actually reduced my insurance before when I name my wife on my policy and visa Verda.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here