Insurance Help

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bhafc_ross

Feb 21, 2009
Brighton
So the story is waiting at the roundabout nr Shoreham airport coming of shoreham beach and one car infront , she decides shes going then stalls , I goes into the back of her and leave the silliest scratch ive ever seen but when look up close cracked the bumper a bit , I dont know how much it going to cost but her excuse getting out was sorry I stalled "im not from round ere" from Romford. Anyway I went into the back of her so its my fault :rant: but If she claims what happens because ive only been driving for 2 and a bit years , She will contact my insurance and they will ask me if I wanna pay it ? which if under £200 I do. Or should I contact her ? Also if she claims of my insurance for her car do I have to pay an excess ? I was going to keep quite and see what happens ? any help will be much appreciated . Cheers punk:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You will have to pay an excess and lose your no claims discount ( unless it is protected ). I would offer to pay it cash and get the cheapest job done you can find.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
So the story is waiting at the roundabout nr Shoreham airport coming of shoreham beach and one car infront , she decides shes going then stalls , I goes into the back of her and leave the silliest scratch ive ever seen but when look up close cracked the bumper a bit , I dont know how much it going to cost but her excuse getting out was sorry I stalled "im not from round ere" from Romford. Anyway I went into the back of her so its my fault :rant: but If she claims what happens because ive only been driving for 2 and a bit years , She will contact my insurance and they will ask me if I wanna pay it ? which if under £200 I do. Or should I contact her ? Also if she claims of my insurance for her car do I have to pay an excess ? I was going to keep quite and see what happens ? any help will be much appreciated . Cheers punk:

if she wants to go through your insurance you will need to fill out a cliam form for starters, and your insurers will not ask you if you want to pay it - they will deal with her claim (bearing in mind you rear ended her she may well discover in the next 48 hours or so she has whiplash), and as it is a 3rd party claim for the damage to her/her car you do not pay an excess, the only excess you pay is for the damage to your car (if you have comp cover) - once the claim has been submitted you will have to declare the incident for 5 years and you will lose 2 years no claims and your premium will reflect this. my advice would be to try and sort it out yourself if at all possible - or offer her £100 quid cash for a 2nd hand bumper or something along those lines

or send your old man to see her and explain the situation to her in that "special" way he used to explain things to the undesireables at the market diner :lolol:

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
basically , you're screwed because a female driver is involved , the insurance company will believe her version of events as you should have anticipated her lack of driving skills.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
an offer of cash might more important to her than an insurance claim where the garage bill is paid direct. she might think the scratch/crack isnt worth fixing.

also, the "going in the back so its you fault" isnt a rule but guide. given she stalled on a round about it could be argued she was driving poorly and have to pay you. this might need pointing out as you make/ask for a cash offer...

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
an offer of cash might more important to her than an insurance claim where the garage bill is paid direct. she might think the scratch/crack isnt worth fixing.

Seems the best option. Offer her £ 50 and tell her to f*** off.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Find where she lives and go and steal the car and burn it out. Jone done.

Also, look where your fcuking going in future, dumb-arse

bhafc_ross

Feb 21, 2009
Brighton
Like all help back made me chuckle especially

send your old man to see her and explain the situation to her in that "special" way he used to explain things to the undesireables at the market diner :lol::laugh:

What do you reckon about letting my insurance company know whats happened ?

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007
As upthealbion1970 says, you won't pay a penny. Your excess charge is only paid for damage to your car, not anyone elses.

Only give her the cash if the repair is likely to be lower than the increase in your premium next year (our favourite Meerkat or Fat Opera Singer websites may come in handy here!) otherwise you may as well go through insurance -that's what its there for, and you pay it year on year you may as well get your money's worth!!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wrong answer.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wrong answer.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
and as it is a 3rd party claim for the damage to her/her car you do not pay an excess, the only excess you pay is for the damage to your car (if you have comp cover)

Never read so much crap in my life !

"the only excess you pay is for the damage to your car" so if your only 3rd PFT
how would ever be responsible for the excess ?:laugh:

You pay the excess on any claim on the policy, be it, to car, wall, fence, hedge or person.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

You pay the excess on any claim on the policy, be it, to car, wall, fence, hedge or person.

that is the correct answer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What do you reckon about letting my insurance company know whats happened ?

absolutly not, unless she takes it to insurance, keep it out of the system. then, when asked "have you been involved in an accident in last 5 years", you can lie and they have no way to say otherwise. if you tell them its on file even if you or her dont make a claim and may affect your insurance. for a minor repair you thats less than your excess it will still be treated as a claim.

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007

So from what you are saying, you have an accident, cause £1000 damage to the other persons car.
Your excess is £300.
Insurance only pays £700.
You have to stump up the other £300??

My girlfriend had this exact situation - her insurance paid all £1000, and her premium went up a bit the next year as a result of having to claim.
She felt lucky as she was going to offer the other driver the cash for repairs if it was lower than £300, so as not to go through the insurance. Her insurance company (Elephant) told her this is a common mistake, and that your insurance did in fact cover the whole lot.

Had she claimed for damage on HER car, she would not be covered for the first £300 worth (as that's her excess).

Also, excess doesn't apply to third party policies...for this reason.

Last edited:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

No it is NOT the correct answer. The excess on your motor insurance is only applicable if you claim for the damage to your own vehicle (if you have comp cover). If you have TPFT cover you cannot claim for the damage to your vehicle, so no excess can apply.

BTW I have been siiting here in my office dealing with motor claims since 9am this morning and have dealt with insurance claims for the last ten years, so I am right and you are not! *sticks out tongue and put hands to head with waving fingers* :wink:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

sorry, but you do not pay an excess for a 3rd party claim end of

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports