Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

insults -voluntary code to stop them?

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I started reading this thread to see what on earth it was on about, and after wading through pages of (mainly) reasoned argument it's pretty clear that without resorting to personal insults and the ensuing infractions, flounces and bans every thread on this board would be ~10x its current size. Insults help to speed the whole "death of a thread" process along, which is a good thing given the amount of time I (and I'm sure many others) spend reading non-football stuff on NSC.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I can assure you that I do not mean to be pompous at all, and it is unfortunate that you have that impression, but then it is a forum and these things will happen. Often in face to face discussions, it is easier to couch terms in the tone that would emphasise your meaning, which of course is not possible here. I do hope at least that you read the comments to which I referred and the unnecessary comment about the tenants lager, which serves no purpose. This puts my response in context. As this debate goes on, I notice that a few are now coming on to say that the abuse puts people off, which is a shame, as the more views there are, the merrier. Also, the big boss man has appeared to say that insults are unacceptable - not, you would think, that this should be necessary! You might like to reflect on how you have put your post . .

I bet you're an absolute HOOT at parties.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well, at best we are going to have to disagree as to what constitutes an insult and what is an opinion. In fact someone on here did talk about something like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you can say that same about insults and political correctness, I suppose. Of course there is a grey area, and one person's view of where to draw the line is not necessarily that of another. I am referring to extreme examples like the one yesterday when a post referred to David Burke as a dipsxxt, when the post could not possibly know the intricate ins and out of the club, and if the person concerned is necessarily to blame for the Albion's current woes. By your logic, the post considered that DB is guilty of unacceptable conduct and therefore needs to be told. That is the logic, let me stress, and it may well be that we are in agreement that this is unacceptable, I fully appreciate.
Of course people have those who agree and disagree and you are right , in that this is how it works. My point was that we can all blindly say that others agree to gain a bit of upmanship, which, be honest, was your aim!
It wasn't, it really wasn't. Initially I simply stated I disagreed with you, after that I was only interested in correcting your erroneous assumptions. But yes, if we can try and end this exchange on a note of agreement there is a grey area as to what consults an 'insult', what constitutes a 'valid opinion' and what constitutes an 'accurate observation'. No one is going to agree into which category a post fits (we've already disagreed on whether calling my posts 'arrogant' is an insult or not) and expecting the Mods to arbitrate just adds more to their workload.

Finally to an extent we're both wrong! The site owner, Bozza, has stated (post #81) that insults are NOT allowed; therefore I can never have made any and you can't have seen any! As he says if you see anything that you think is 'insulting' you should report it (use the little triangle on the left hand side on the bottom line of the post). Don't worry, I haven't reported any of your insults!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I would agree with that totally.

One moderator, in particular, has a habit of insulting anyone who doesn't "tow his line" and generally seems to abuse his power as a "mod" by throwing insults at certain posters who does not conform with his opinions.

You RUFFIAN you.

(and if you don't like that I will of course ban you x):hilton:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It wasn't, it really wasn't. Initially I simply stated I disagreed with you, after that I was only interested in correcting your erroneous assumptions. But yes, if we can try and end this exchange on a note of agreement there is a grey area as to what consults an 'insult', what constitutes a 'valid opinion' and what constitutes an 'accurate observation'. No one is going to agree into which category a post fits (we've already disagreed on whether calling my posts 'arrogant' is an insult or not) and expecting the Mods to arbitrate just adds more to their workload.

Finally to an extent we're both wrong! The site owner, Bozza, has stated (post #81) that insults are NOT allowed; therefore I can never have made any and you can't have seen any! As he says if you see anything that you think is 'insulting' you should report it (use the little triangle on the left hand side on the bottom line of the post). Don't worry, I haven't reported any of your insults!

Yes, we are getting there, and yes, I did see the post by Bozza. As a matter of interest, did you feel that the label aimed at David Burke, as in my previous post, was an insult or not. I think that this went beyond acceptable banter. The logic of saying that some people need to be told was no doubt what the post thought -he (or she) presumably thought that DB 's conduct was unacceptable and therefore an insult was part of needing to be told. As I stressed, this is the logic -it may well be that we can agree that something as unpleasant, unnecessary and unsubstaniated is not acceptable. This is really why I started the thread.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, we are getting there, and yes, I did see the post by Bozza. As a matter of interest, did you feel that the label aimed at David Burke, as in my previous post, was an insult or not. I think that this went beyond acceptable banter. The logic of saying that some people need to be told was no doubt what the post thought -he (or she) presumably thought that DB 's conduct was unacceptable and therefore an insult was part of needing to be told. As I stressed, this is the logic -it may well be that we can agree that something as unpleasant, unnecessary and unsubstaniated is not acceptable. This is really why I started the thread.
Ok, this is where we disagree. I didn't see the original thread or post to which you refer, but yes, in my opinion, simply calling DB a dipshit or whatever it was is within acceptable parameters. I'm sure he's been called worse and I'm sure playground insults of that type posted on here are just water of a duck's back to him. I agree that juvenile name-calling adds nothing to whatever debate is going on, but, hey, that's NSC!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can assure you that I do not mean to be pompous at all, and it is unfortunate that you have that impression, but then it is a forum and these things will happen. Often in face to face discussions, it is easier to couch terms in the tone that would emphasise your meaning, which of course is not possible here. I do hope at least that you read the comments to which I referred and the unnecessary comment about the tenants lager, which serves no purpose. This puts my response in context. As this debate goes on, I notice that a few are now coming on to say that the abuse puts people off, which is a shame, as the more views there are, the merrier. Also, the big boss man has appeared to say that insults are unacceptable - not, you would think, that this should be necessary! You might like to reflect on how you have put your post . .

I have reflected on my post, and how I put it. And on reflection....yup, I'm quite happy with it.

Insults are part and parcel in the rough-and-tumble of a messageboard which houses thousands of posters, on a miriad of subjects, most of which polarise peoples views. If during the heat of debate someone takes exception to one of my posts, and calls me a great big fat weeping elephants FANNY, I'm not going to go crying to Bozza and start wiping my snot on his apron over it. I will probably respond in kind, and call them the morbidly obese deformed putrid offspring of a taliban gutterslut, or something. And then continue with the debate. And we all move on.

Nobody dies. Its nothing personal. As a great hairy man once said "its just banter". In my opinion, the only ones who have problems with it are those who take NSC, and themselves, and life in general WAYYY too seriously.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I have reflected on my post, and how I put it. And on reflection....yup, I'm quite happy with it.

Insults are part and parcel in the rough-and-tumble of a messageboard which houses thousands of posters, on a miriad of subjects, most of which polarise peoples views. If during the heat of debate someone takes exception to one of my posts, and calls me a great big fat weeping elephants FANNY, I'm not going to go crying to Bozza and start wiping my snot on his apron over it. I will probably respond in kind, and call them the morbidly obese deformed putrid offspring of a taliban gutterslut, or something. And then continue with the debate. And we all move on.

Nobody dies. Its nothing personal. As a great hairy man once said "its just banter". In my opinion, the only ones who have problems with it are those who take NSC, and themselves, and life in general WAYYY too seriously.

Fair enough - at least you are consistent, and by the way I don't cry to anyone either if anyone insults me. I just don't think it is necessary, and though it might be part and parcel of a messageboard as you suggest, this does not make it right. By the way, that is a huge leap for you to suggest that just because one does not like insults, they take life too seriously - it is a convenient comparison, of course but they are not mutually exclusive, you know. To be fair, you did say in your opinion, which this is all about.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree
I travel the world and the seven seas
Everybody's looking for something

Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused.......oooohhhhh bodyform

I hope that helps.

RedRob

come the revolution......
Mar 2, 2013
Pyongyang
Fair enough - at least you are consistent, and by the way I don't cry to anyone either if anyone insults me. I just don't think it is necessary, and though it might be part and parcel of a messageboard as you suggest, this does not make it right. By the way, that is a huge leap for you to suggest that just because one does not like insults, they take life too seriously - it is a convenient comparison, of course but they are not mutually exclusive, you know. To be fair, you did say in your opinion, which this is all about.

...I don't know 'easy10', but know enough about life to know that having 43,000+ posts on here, he thinks gives him ceratin rights....."i'm right, you're wrong" springs to mind! Why else would you possibly want to post over 43,000 f*cking times?

The same alas, goes for any 'high score' poster. When I first posted on here I got called a JCL....oh, really. Had the poster that called me that been to the Goldstone/Priestfield/Withdean/& 'the other one'?....probably not. He made an immediate patronising assumption, based on a 'post count'.

Will I be the same in 950 posts time? - life's too short. 'High posters'.....go & get one :wink:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree
I travel the world and the seven seas
Everybody's looking for something

Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused.......oooohhhhh bodyform

I hope that helps.

I can't begin to describe how useful this is to the general debate. thanks ever so much . . .

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I agree with your point too Hasting Gull

The trouble with insults and abuse is that, contrary to Easy 10 assertions, they usually end any kind of intelligent debate about a subject and result in a slanging binfest which really just stifles any debate and renders discussion pointless.

There are too many on this board who choose to play the man not the ball and pick on a posters style or personally attack them (this thread holds some excellent examples of this).

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
153182d1204909878-poll-tire-lights-gay-not-gay-20thread-20congrats.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here