Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Insulate Britain protests

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
If you think people blocking the M25 is inconvenient you’re gonna have a pink fit when you see what happens when the ice caps melt. Best start drafting your letters to The Mail while there’s still time.

... again, a point which has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

If you really think these protests are about climate change as a whole, then you're totally wrong and shortsighted. These people are cause hunting and have settled on home insulation, as if they're going to have any impact on policy whatsoever.

Personally, I don't think there's ever going to come a time when I think, "thank God those time wasters on the M25 did what they did. It saved the world! It's just a shame they didn't really care and block all the motorways - because what we really needed at the time was the supply chain being even further disrupted."

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well that's deliberately broad and deflecting. This thread is specific to the problem of losers with nothing better to do blocking the M25 repeatedly. It's not about the whole range of problems this country has but I would argue that a handful of nutters thinking it's ok to disrupt thousands of people and have no regard or reasonable concern for their own lives whilst doing so, is quite a significant problem.

And again, let's keep the "protests" in context. Home insulation. Home insulation is the reason these rent-a-protesters are blocking the M25? Sounds like an excuse to be seen to be protesting, to me.

You realise what the issue of home insulation is?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
... again, a point which has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

If you really think these protests are about climate change as a whole, then you're totally wrong and shortsighted. These people are cause hunting and have settled on home insulation, as if they're going to have any impact on policy whatsoever.

Personally, I don't think there's ever going to come a time when I think, "thank God those time wasters on the M25 did what they did. It saved the world! It's just a shame they didn't really care and block all the motorways - because what we really needed at the time was the supply chain being even further disrupted."

You have misunderstood the issue.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Perhaps it would solve the problem if the government introduced a points based incentive scheme for drivers.

10 points if you hit a retired academic
15 points for a long em unemployed anarchist
25 points bonus if you hit a white person with dreadlocks

50 bonus points for a NSC poster faking support for the protest but in their real lives not really giving a shit?

All because it makes them sound superior to the rest of us rabble. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I normally quite agree with direct action but blocking roads where emergency services need to get through makes very little sense. It certainly won’t get public support.

So whatever it is I’m against it .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Apologies for one of the sources…

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....brits-are-losing-through-poor-insulation/amp/

https://www.glosfordsips.co.uk/wp-c...3/Insulation-for-Sustainability-2nd-Issue.pdf

I think the drain people don’t want to listen is because previously they could dismiss climate issues as something corporations need to address.
This highlights just how much you as an individual impact the climate. It’s also directly targeted at our homes. And nobody tells a Brit what to do in his castle, eh!
Efficient insulation needs to be regulated. It has a huge impact on the environment. Simply dismissing it is rather, sorry, it’s rather daft.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Judging by the reaction from , by and large, the usual element on NSC, the protesters have certainly chosen the correct place to be noticed.
Very hard for the right wing media and the Tory’s to cover it up or play it down if it’s taking place on one of Britain’s main arteries. A huge audience and a huge nuisance.
Couldn’t have picked much of a better spot I’d say.
None of the folk snarled up on the M25 can do anything about their cause which makes it all pretty pointless, one protester when asked what they hope to achieve was and I quote ‘ a lot more ‘ :facepalm:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Apologies for one of the sources…

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....brits-are-losing-through-poor-insulation/amp/

https://www.glosfordsips.co.uk/wp-c...3/Insulation-for-Sustainability-2nd-Issue.pdf

I think the drain people don’t want to listen is because previously they could dismiss climate issues as something corporations need to address.
This highlights just how much you as an individual impact the climate. It’s also directly targeted at our homes. And nobody tells a Brit what to do in his castle, eh!
Efficient insulation needs to be regulated. It has a huge impact on the environment. Simply dismissing it is rather, sorry, it’s rather daft.

Who has dismissed the idea of regulating and stepping up insulation ? I think it’s a great idea. I thought we were discussing people running on to the M25 ?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
In a short while, world leaders will be flying into Scotland for the global climate change talking shop. THAT'S how serious world leaders take the crisis; they use the highest polluting method of transport to have a pow-wow on pollution.

Whilst we do our bit recycling (so the government can export it to another country who just dump /landfill it) and insulate our homes as far as finances will permit (and the bits and bobs you need to make an eco house are extremely expensive) we stand no chance of reversing this crisis all the time major polluting nations (China, India & US) carry on the way they are.

In 2020, China brought 38.4 gigawatts of new coal-fired power into operation, more than three times what was brought on line everywhere else.

Unless these major polluting nations are brought to heel, domestic recycling and home insulation is p*ssing in the wind.

If the protesters really wanted to have an impact on climate change, they would be protesting outside the embassies of the major polluters rather than disrupting the economy and the lives of so many.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Who has dismissed the idea of regulating and stepping up insulation ? I think it’s a great idea. I thought we were discussing people running on to the M25 ?

We are. I thought some background would be helpful for some. Not everyone is as enlightened as you, NB.

Please note that I haven’t expressed support for the protest but I can see why they chose the M25.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We are. I thought some background would be helpful for some. Not everyone is as enlightened as you, NB.

Please note that I haven’t expressed support for the protest but I can see why they chose the M25.

Understood, and thanks for the links. Perhaps the only positive from this year’s massive gas and electricity price rise is that it will incentivize people to deal with home insulation as the only way to keep bills under control.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Obviously, it makes sense to properly insulate homes. There's clearly no issue there - and if those protestors want to get into home insulation and get on with making a difference, good for them. But running across the M25? Throwing paint around? Glueing themselves to the road? None of that has anything to do with home insulation or makes any difference at all when it comes to influencing policy around new builds or retrofitting existing properties.

The tactics these people are employing are dangerous and stupid. The cause is fine and sensible. I think it's that simple.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some are just against protest full stop. If they protested at a sporting event, some would cry that sport is to be enjoyed not politicised. If they protested embassies it would be a security risk. And if they don’t oppose the location it’s the people protesting; “dirty jobless hedge-monkeys”.

I mean, Jesus wept, lots of people go batshit when they protest McDonalds! Who is getting hurt there? Some chunkosaurus misses out on a Big Mac. It will do them good.

Some people simply won’t tolerate protest. I think it is too close to home. Highlights how close impending disaster is. Fingers in ears Lalalalalalala

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Target Boris and ministers directly. Target there constituencies or homes. One tactic used a few years ago by protesters was dumping a lorry load manure on a drive preventing access. Gluing yourself to constituencies offices. Getting pizzas delivered to homes of ministers etc. If you want Boris to take notice then it has to affect him directly, he needs to feel the pain as anything else is waste of time. He’s most likely pissing himself with laughter.
As protest goes this is ill conceived and will just alienate those that the protests should be engaging with. It’s all about hearts and minds and they are it winning any!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He spends £27,000 on takeaways anyway, suggest you would need @%1; involved for industrial scale pizza tactics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
50 bonus points for a NSC poster faking support for the protest but in their real lives not really giving a shit?

All because it makes them sound superior to the rest of us rabble. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Some are just against protest full stop. If they protested at a sporting event, some would cry that sport is to be enjoyed not politicised. If they protested embassies it would be a security risk. And if they don’t oppose the location it’s the people protesting; “dirty jobless hedge-monkeys”.

I mean, Jesus wept, lots of people go batshit when they protest McDonalds! Who is getting hurt there? Some chunkosaurus misses out on a Big Mac. It will do them good.

Some people simply won’t tolerate protest. I think it is too close to home. Highlights how close impending disaster is. Fingers in ears Lalalalalalala

Draw a line for me from home insulation to the M25.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here