Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Insiders answer to Kev England on ATC

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Club has got planning permission to build a stadium with a capacity of 22,500 seats. The building contract is for a stadium of that capacity.

It is possible to increase the size of a stadium but to do so would require planning permission and the agreement of the landlords.

Who are the Landlords? Is that Brighton and Hove? I thought B&H had given us the land for nix? I didnt realise we were just renting the land

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
The company building the stadium is a seprate entity to BHAFC, right? If thats the case then one would assume they would be 'our' landlords ...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Club has got planning permission to build a stadium with a capacity of 22,500 seats. The building contract is for a stadium of that capacity.

It is possible to increase the size of a stadium but to do so would require planning permission and the agreement of the landlords.

Who are the Landlords? Is that Brighton and Hove? I thought B&H had given us the land for nix? I didnt realise we were just renting the land

I believe they have given a zero cost 999 year lease - thus the council remain landlords.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This is first time I've seen it from someone official that the stadium can be extended. This is brilliant ! Whether we'll ever need to is seriously doubtful though.

As for the landlords, Is that the council ?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

I thought the planning permission was still under consideration due to the changes.

Kev_England

Exiled in North Carolina
Dec 1, 2008
Research Triangle Park

Where did you get this info from?

The reason I asked my original question is that south of London and west of Portsmouth there are no really European class staduims. Its such a large and important geographical area -- and very close to France -- that Im thinking it could be used in important footy competitions.

Eufa's main criteria for an "Elite" class stadium is 30,000 seats. Im thinking if we could tack on a 8,000 seats easily it could completely widen the club's horizons for big events and sponsorship. Thus bring in more cash for players etc.

I was just curious if the architects had allowed for easy an upgrade to the stadium in terms of seating capacity.

Thanks for the info.

The reason I asked my original question is that south of London and west of Portsmouth there are no really European class staduims. Its such a large and important geographical area -- and very close to France -- that Im thinking it could be used in important footy competitions.
Eufa's main criteria for an "Elite" class stadium is 30,000 seats.

St Mary's is
1. west of Portsmouth
2. a modern stadium with capacity exceeding 32000.

Kev_England

Exiled in North Carolina
Dec 1, 2008
Research Triangle Park
St Mary's is
1. west of Portsmouth
2. a modern stadium with capacity exceeding 32000.

I stand corrected. And I certainly won't make excuses such as, I was in a typing frenzy and typed "West" instead of "East".

Lucky bastards too. They got to replace The Dell with a 32,000 seat staduim in the city centre. And its a UEFA 4-Star job.

PLUS, theyve hosted these games (from Wiki):

The St Mary's Stadium has hosted one full England international match, a 2-2 draw between England and FYR Macedonia in October 2002. David Beckham and Steven Gerrard scored for England. There has also been an international between Japan and Nigeria.

The stadium hosted European football in September 2003, when the Saints faced Steaua Bucharest in the first round of the UEFA Cup. The game ended in a 1-1 draw.

The stadium has hosted an England under-21 match. This was held on 5 February 2008. When England played Republic of Ireland. England won 3-0.

Can dream this for Falmer? Brighton would make a great destination for Uefa games for visiting Europeans.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here