[Albion] Injury time

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Hopefully Webster is watching the replay of his own horror show this morning, not sure trying to stop a throw in by giving Fulham a corner was his finest moment. ???

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Re this new 'multi-ball' rule where there are balls placed all around the pitch, but in particular one either side of the goal, so that players and again the goalkeeper, don't have an excuse to stroll slowly after a ball.
At the Amex there are ball holders, little triangular things, but Fulham have the balls with a ballboy/girl who seemed to throw a second ball on to the pitch but at a random spot rather than at a player. Similar happens at the Amex but the other way round. Player picks up fresh ball 5 yards from where the ball went out but meanwhile ballboy/girl has retreived the original ball and rolled it on to the pitch.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
There seems to now be an unwritten rule that you can pretty much get away with as much timewasting as you want once into added time. Last night was almost on par with Real Madrid’s antics against Manchester City last season.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Liverpool v Newcastle.
Ref indicates a minimum of 5 mins added time.
Newcastle goalkeeper Nick Pope stays down 'injured' for 1 minute 20 seconds after gathering a cross. (I rewound the injury time and set my stopwatch)
The game restarted and Liverpool scored after 98 mins. This was ultimate Fergie time.

If I was a Newcastle fan I'd be furious, but I'm not because I'm pleased they lost.
It's a shame we couldn't manage something similar at Fulham.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There seems to now be an unwritten rule that you can pretty much get away with as much timewasting as you want once into added time. Last night was almost on par with Real Madrid’s antics against Manchester City last season.

Think you mean Atletico

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Liverpool v Newcastle.
Newcastle goalkeeper Nick Pope stays down 'injured' for 1 minute 20 seconds after gathering a cross. (I rewound the injury time and set my stopwatch)
The game restarted and Liverpool scored after 98 mins. This was ultimate Fergie time.

If I was a Newcastle fan I'd be furious, but I'm not because I'm pleased they lost.

No. The problem was the time wasting from the 60th minute.
I loved it when the assistant barcode was giving Klopp some verbals only to see him lose it a few minutes later.
Not saying, we deserved to win, but I hate time wasters as much as divers.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Liverpool v Newcastle.

Minimum of 5 so that could be 5 minutes 59 seconds, technically speaking. Then add 1 minute 20 seconds... 5 minutes 59 seconds + 1 minute 20 seconds = 7 minutes 19 seconds.. the goal was scored at 97:08. All good.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Liverpool v Newcastle.

You said it …. MINIMUM of 5 minutes!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Liverpool v Newcastle.

I was sad enough to rewatch the 5 mins - mainly cos I turned off at 96 on the clock and was only half watching and then someone messaged about ‘Klopp time’

Firstly, the time wasting prior to 90 mins is irrelevant once 5 mins is added on - it’s all about those 5 mins. 98th min is a bit deceiving as the goal was just after 97 ticked by - or 2 additional, additional mins of you will…

Pope didn’t restart play til 30secs into the 5 (so there’s 30 secs straight away) and was then down injured for 1.5 mins and took 30 secs over another goal kick. Corner was given a minute and half over the 5 so it was fair - corner was given about 96:30 - just wish they were consistent as some refs don’t add on time wasting in added time - our game last night a prime example. He played 6 mins from once the ball was back in play after the board went up (yes by the time they’d done a sub and time wasted it was probably showing about 91:30 on the clock but that’s irrelevant. He added nothing on for all the time wasting antics in stoppage time - frustrating. If that was one of the big 6 I reckon he would - was clearly out of his depth with controlling the game.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I really hate the taking the ball in the corner and preventing real football be played thing. I hate it from both opposing teams and from the Albion. Of course I want the Albion to manage the game when they are 1 up with a few minutes left and this means trying to keep possession. But there are other ways of doing it rather than essentially shutting the game down. That isn't what either set of fans paid to watch.

I'm not sure of a good way to stop it. Perhaps something like....mark an area in each corner about 6 feet radius from the actual corner. Have a rule that if the attacking team take the ball in that space and the defending team don't enter it then the attacking team have 6 seconds before they have to pass it out.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I would have thought we needed to do the opposite and stick far fewer bodies in there. We added to the congestion which made it easier for Fulham. Entirely our own doing so no point blaming the opposition or the ref either.
This is what I was thinking at the time. My seat's level with the penalty spot in the old stand so I had a grandstand view of some of the injury time shithousery. The Fulham players realised that yours were being attracted like moths to a flame in desperation to get the ball back. Fulham were deliberately bouncing the ball off them to win throw-ins. Some of the Fulham players were smiling about it (sorry:blush:). I've not seen that level of seeing out injury time before, (we certainly rarely needed it last season) so it must be one of Marco Silva's innovations. The stakes are so much higher in the Prem that it breeds this nonsense.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not sure of a good way to stop it. Perhaps something like....mark an area in each corner about 6 feet radius from the actual corner. Have a rule that if the attacking team take the ball in that space and the defending team don't enter it then the attacking team have 6 seconds before they have to pass it out.

Don't need any of that. Just make it an offence to deliberately take the ball into the corner, maybe even make it a card offence. If the ref deems that it's been done on purpose, it's a free kick to the other team (I hate it as well - even if the Albion are doing it).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Don't need any of that. Just make it an offence to deliberately take the ball into the corner, maybe even make it a card offence. If the ref deems that it's been done on purpose, it's a free kick to the other team (I hate it as well - even if the Albion are doing it).

My 'in my own head' argument has always been it should count as obstruction (or impeding). The offending player has no intention of playing the ball, to advance or get into a position to score (sometimes they actively try to not even touch the ball), all they are doing is trying to stop the opponent getting to the ball. If all you're doing is stopping someone from playing the ball, it is obstruction.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No. The problem was the time wasting from the 60th minute.
I loved it when the assistant barcode was giving Klopp some verbals only to see him lose it a few minutes later.
Not saying, we deserved to win, but I hate time wasters as much as divers.

From the 40th minute and taking every opportunity to completely stop play with a never ending catalogue of fake cramp injuries.

But not as bad as the worst I’ve seen …. Warnock’s Cardiff from the opening whistle in the Championship. Luckily, they lost too.

Not a good look for football, I don’t care what anyone says.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It's not time wasting and, ergo accumulative to injury time, if you the ball is in play in the corner. Time wasting is prolonging getting the ball back in play, ie delaying free kicks, goal kicks, feigning injury etc.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's not time wasting and, ergo accumulative to injury time, if you the ball is in play in the corner. Time wasting is prolonging getting the ball back in play, ie delaying free kicks, goal kicks, feigning injury etc.

Indeed. I’m not sure how the ref is supposed to define ‘the corner’ either. Fulham’s held the ball quite a way up the touch line.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The officials clearly favoured us tonight, for the first time in a long time. Can't blame them for doing what they did to get it over the line.

Didn’t feel like that in the ground.

Didn’t clamp down on the diving or dissent.

Re the injury time, credit to Fulham as well, within the rules…..

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Surely it’s not beyond GP and his team to have a strategy or plan to cope with the opposition trying to waste time by keeping the ball in the corner, with the first move being to get a player in the corner facing the pitch and secondly leaving it at 1v1 or 2v2 rather than a mass of players kicking lumps out of each other. We’ve moved on from Oatway and Hart at Withdean days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports