Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Injury at work

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
A friend of mine substained an injury while at work the other day and has been signed off for a 2 weeks.Is he enttitled to full pay or not from his company?I'm sure he said to me that his company will only pay statory sick pay.Any ideas?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well for a start it woulddepend on how the injury was incurred. Legally they only have to pay him SSP but if the injury was work related and the company are in any way negligent then he's entitled to compensation.

Details please !

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He will have to look into his contract. In the contract it will say how long for full pay, then after a certain amount of time statutory sick pay etc. Get him to look at his contrac. That should resolve the issue. Hope this helps

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
bhaexpress said:
Well for a start it woulddepend on how the injury was incurred. Legally they only have to pay him SSP but if the injury was work related and the company are in any way negligent then he's entitled to compensation.

Details please !

Are you a solicitor?

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
So it's not standard pratice to pay full wages to anyone who has suffered an injury at work or not?I thought you were entitled to full pay or claim for it one way or another

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
rogue said:
So it's not stand pratice to pay full wages to anyone who has suffered an injury at work or not?I thought you were entitled to full pay or claim for it one way or another

Only if it says so in the contract. That is the essential factor in injury at work.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
The Employers Liablity Act 1969 states that all employers must have insurance against liability for injury to employees caused at work.

He would be pretty unlucky to go straight onto SSP, especially as he sustained the injury while at work.

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
He injured his back while lifting a pallett(pulled muscle i think)

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
rogue said:
He injured his back while lifting a pallett(pulled muscle i think)

If his employers were not negligent then he will have to rely on his own personal medical insurance if he has any.

Pretty harsh to go onto SSP straight away, as it is something like £60 a week! Most companies let you have about two months off sick on full pay.

If he can show the company were negligent, eg they did not show him the correct way to lift the pallett, he might have a case.

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
thanks everyone.I think that covers it

Eggmundo

Jul 8, 2003
fatboy said:

If he can show the company were negligent, eg they did not show him the correct way to lift the pallett, he might have a case.

Is it me or has the whole world gone mad?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Eggmundo said:
:clap: :clap: its like them 'accident at work' adverts...."i was given the wrong sort of ladder"!!!! wtf?:nono:

Eggmundo said:

Unfortunately Health and Safety guidelines now dictate that companies are obliged to provide the correct training, especially in areas like manual handling, since there have been many incidents of employees being injured during their day to day jobs.

If a company fails to provide training and an employee is injured then they could face a hefty compensation claim. It's the litigation era that's to blame.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Where theres blame theres a claim..........Thats how one of them pathetic adverts go,isnt it????

Eggmundo

Jul 8, 2003
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
Unfortunately Health and Safety guidelines now dictate that companies are obliged to provide the correct training, especially in areas like manual handling, since there have been many incidents of employees being injured during their day to day jobs.

If a company fails to provide training and an employee is injured then they could face a hefty compensation claim. It's the litigation era that's to blame.

I had to stand up and demonstrate how to turn "correctly" as in stand up and 'turn'... TURN AROUND ???
All because someone had an injury while at work involving him...turning around.

My demonstration was to safeguard against future injuries.
I had to file a report and attend several interviews with varying health and safety personnell. Even the Chairman of the company requested a report. And it's a global, 600m a year profit company!

:down: :down: :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here