[Albion] Injuries

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Screenshot_20240426-225945~2.png

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The Ferguson injury is the least surprising news of the season. I did bang on for most of 2023 and the start of this year that he was playing too much high level football for a player of his age and size and that it was a matter of time before he picked up a serious injury. A sustained rest now is by far the best thing for him.

Jimmy Grimble

Has anyone at these press conferences actually dared ask RDZ why he thinks we’ve suffered so many injuries?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Has anyone at these press conferences actually dared ask RDZ why he thinks we’ve suffered so many injuries?
I think he has accepted that fatigue has played a big part as a result of players having to cover for other injured players - it has a knock on effect if your squad is not deep enough - Chelsea, Manure and Newcastle have more injuries but have the squad depth to absorb them - that and the additional matches in Europe that we were not really prepared for going into the season..

From Athletic

“De Zerbi blames himself for using some players too regularly this year. “All people who work in Brighton have to improve from this season,” he said. “First of all the coach, myself, because I made mistakes from January to March. I played every game with JP van Hecke, (Lewis) Dunk, Bill Gilmour, Pascal Gross, Igor and we reached the crucial moment of the season not in good condition... But it is difficult if you have for months five injured players, because we are not used to playing so many games.”

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I think he has accepted that fatigue has played a big part as a result of players having to cover for other injured players - it has a knock on effect if your squad is not deep enough - Chelsea, Manure and Newcastle have more injuries but have the squad depth to absorb them - that and the additional matches in Europe that we were not really prepared for going into the season..

From Athletic

“De Zerbi blames himself for using some players too regularly this year. “All people who work in Brighton have to improve from this season,” he said. “First of all the coach, myself, because I made mistakes from January to March. I played every game with JP van Hecke, (Lewis) Dunk, Bill Gilmour, Pascal Gross, Igor and we reached the crucial moment of the season not in good condition... But it is difficult if you have for months five injured players, because we are not used to playing so many games.”
It’s good that he recognises this but hard to blame him in picking those players really, he had little choice.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
It’s good that he recognises this but hard to blame him in picking those players really, he had little choice.

Exactly, you didn't have to be Mystic Meg in the Summer to predict that Lallana and Lamptey would be injured for a decent part of the season.

On paper it may have looked like a good squad size, but with seven of the squad aged 32 and over, (and four teenagers) limiting minutes and injuries was always going to be an issue.

To be fair, RDZ did try to warn the club, but they knew best! No wonder he's having a moan!

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
There is a set squad size though you know!
You can’t name another 10 in it , but having Lamptey and Lallana take up 2 slots isn’t great, seeing as their bodies are so fragile.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
There is a set squad size though you know!
You can’t name another 10 in it , but having Lamptey and Lallana take up 2 slots isn’t great, seeing as their bodies are so fragile.

And Webster. And was getting 38 year old Milner in really a good idea to use up one of these slots?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
My big question is this...(And apologies if others have asked/stated it)

What evidence is there that over the summer and then next season we will suddenly have some big reset that will mean next year is different?
Every player has picked up an injury this season, many for a serious length of time.
Why do people think this will change?
It's not just bad luck.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

What evidence is there that over the summer and then next season we will suddenly have some big reset that will mean next year is different?
Every player has picked up an injury this season, many for a serious length of time.
It's not just bad luck.
Then the training and/or the way we play.
Our players frequently get 'smashed' from behind when coming to receive a pass in a tight space.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Pervis looks like he has more than a calf muscle injury from that photo.
It looks like he’s had an ankle injury which he’s played through for a while. An operation and long recuperation ready for next season.
Maybe explains his dip in form this season.
He’ll be disappointed as he’ll miss playing for Ecuador, but good news for Brighton fans.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Pervis looks like he has more than a calf muscle injury from that photo.
It looks like he’s had an ankle injury which he’s played through for a while. An operation and long recuperation ready for next season.
Maybe explains his dip in form this season.
He’ll be disappointed as he’ll miss playing for Ecuador, but good news for Brighton fans.
I’ve said for some time he looked like he was carrying an injury. It was either that or he’d become rubbish overnight. On balance better that he has been injured and hopefully can come back better. Suspect also true of Fergie (and Dunk).

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

It's not just bad luck.

I think maybe Tony recognises that the squad wasn’t good enough this season, I think that’s what the “spending money to compete in Europe” thing was all about.

We have a lot of promising kids but there are fewer senior players now, we’ve been calling some like Van Hecke, Gilmour, Adingra, Ferguson etc senior players but they are all still young and this was the first proper season here where they have played.

We lack experienced pros who aren’t on the wrong side of 30 but I think maybe we’ll address that.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

It's not just bad luck.
Mostly not from specific incidents in a game either. Apart from March, I think, the injuries have all seemed to happen in training.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’ve said for some time he looked like he was carrying an injury. It was either that or he’d become rubbish overnight. On balance better that he has been injured and hopefully can come back better. Suspect also true of Fergie (and Dunk).
His injuries have been horrifically mismanaged - a bit like Mitoma.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

It's not just bad luck.
I think we’ve been very unlucky with injuries but getting rid of players that are frequently injured (Lallana, Milner, Lamptey, Webster etc) and replacing them with quality players who don’t have regular injury issues is going to be critical. These players need to be of a quality to match the likes of Groß, Dunk or March so RDZ has the confidence to use them and rotate.

I honestly think we’ll sink up to £100m in June to solve this issue. We need 6-7 new players. Luckily, I think we have up to £50m worth of players RDZ does not need that can help fund this splash. We spent £109m last summer and January, we just need to do the same this June raiding other clubs who need to balance their FFP.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Mostly not from specific incidents in a game either. Apart from March, I think, the injuries have all seemed to happen in training.
Nope. Loads of players have gone off injured in a game, and not featured for a while thereafter. Most recently, Pervis went off after 13 minutes against Burnley. Relatedly, I severely doubt JPvH got his 'muscular' injury (hamstring?) in training. They wouldn't have trained yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here