Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inigo's appreciation thread

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
@Not Andy Naylor wrote the following earlier this week...

About an hour after the final whistle at the Sheffield Wednesday match, while waiting to do some player interviews, I witnessed something extraordinary and moving.

The legend that is Inigo Calderon, still in his kit, came out of the dressing room, walked down the tunnel and out into the empty stadium.

He stood on the touchline for about ten minutes, facing the pitch. When he turned and came back up the tunnel, it was obvious he'd been crying his eyes out.

Whether it was the failure to get to Wembley or that he thought he might not wear the stripes at the Amex again, who knows? I might be a journalist, but there are some questions you don't ask.

Anyone who thinks players don't care should have seen that. But then Calde is far above being your average player, as we all know.

Ah, that's really sad. But it speaks volumes. Calde really is a top man.

I do hope that he finds somewhere to continue playing if that is what he wants but, as his letter says, he knows that he is coming back, so I hope that this wish is fulfilled sooner rather than later. He has been and hopefully soon will be again, a magnificent ambassador for the club.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I have just read Calde's open letter on the Albion home page, what comes through is the honesty and genuine warmth of appreciation he has for everyone associated with the club.
If it is possible he has just gone to a higher level in legend status.
Lets hope its not too long before he returns in whatever capacity he wants.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
A true Brighton and Hove Albion legend. Thanks for the good times. You played football with a smile and brought a smile to all us fans. Your work with AITC was second to none. A pleasure to meet such a humble footballer. Good luck with the future, a gentleman and a star. Hope to see you soon Calde. He scored with his face, he scored with his face Inigo Calderon be scored with his face.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
[MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] wrote the following earlier this week...

About an hour after the final whistle at the Sheffield Wednesday match, while waiting to do some player interviews, I witnessed something extraordinary and moving.

The legend that is Inigo Calderon, still in his kit, came out of the dressing room, walked down the tunnel and out into the empty stadium.

He stood on the touchline for about ten minutes, facing the pitch. When he turned and came back up the tunnel, it was obvious he'd been crying his eyes out.

Whether it was the failure to get to Wembley or that he thought he might not wear the stripes at the Amex again, who knows? I might be a journalist, but there are some questions you don't ask.

Anyone who thinks players don't care should have seen that. But then Calde is far above being your average player, as we all know.

ok thats finished me off :cry:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
That man, that man there ........ classy

Five years time we win the FA cup and qualify for Europe with him in a coaching role.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Calde was my player of the season in 2014/15.

Without his passion, commitment and, let's not forget, goals (including the one with his face) towards the end of the season, we would probably have been relegated, and this season in the Championship could not have happened.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
The word legend is banded about too often, however in this case it is more than justified. I have been following Seagulls since 1953 and cannot remember any player doing more work off the pitch for the community, although I do remember Lord Zamora of Brighton doing a fair bit his first time here

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
[MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] wrote the following earlier this week...

FFS Calde stop doing this to me, I'm a 41 year old man with 4 kids, I shouldn't feel like this over a player leaving. I don't think I've ever felt so sad about a player leaving ever.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Despite what people may think I believe that he is a genuine fellow Seagull supporter and as such I would like to thank him for what he has achieved at the club in the past and wish him good luck in the remainder of his playing career, wherever and for how long that may be. I am sure that he will be back in some capacity within the club and look forward to that day. His past achievements with us as a player should not be obscured by his appearances this season which may have been a season too far but thanks for what you have done.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I will miss Calde enormously. He always gives so much to the community, and always has time for anyone and everyone. A genuine, humble and principled man.

He is probably my favourite ever footballer. If a bus in town does not yet bear his name, it's time it did.

Good luck to Inigo. I hope he goes to Crawley - if he does I may take in a couple of their games. Please God, don't let Pompey get their sullied hands on him.

He will be back.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
This is so sad. My eyes were moist and my voice was breaking up as I tried to read Calde's letter out to my children, then I read Bozza's post about Calde on the pitch and it was ten times worse. Calling somebody a "legend" is usually an overstatement in football; here, it doesn't do justice. Valiant and committed on the field - fine, we expect that of our players. Off the pitch was where Calde struck a chord, throwing himself into the community, bringing happiness to those less fortunate, those who were ill, those seeking advice, those who just wanted to say hello. Time to accept that he won't play in the stripes again, but fans of this club will always recognise the name "Calderon", in 10, 20, 50 years' time, forever. He will never have to buy his own drink in this city. Good luck Calde, we'll see you around.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Thanks for some great memories and good luck with your next adventure what ever path you may take.

One Robbie Reinelt

Forever Brighton
Feb 28, 2009
This is so sad. My eyes were moist and my voice was breaking up as I tried to read Calde's letter out to my children, then I read Bozza's post about Calde on the pitch and it was ten times worse. Calling somebody a "legend" is usually an overstatement in football; here, it doesn't do justice. Valiant and committed on the field - fine, we expect that of our players. Off the pitch was where Calde struck a chord, throwing himself into the community, bringing happiness to those less fortunate, those who were ill, those seeking advice, those who just wanted to say hello. Time to accept that he won't play in the stripes again, but fans of this club will always recognise the name "Calderon", in 10, 20, 50 years' time, forever. He will never have to buy his own drink in this city. Good luck Calde, we'll see you around.

Superb post. My voice was cracking up too as I tried reading Calde's letter to my wife. By the end she was sobbing ... and she doesn't even like football!
Thank you Inigo for everything - you will always be welcome back with open arms to this great footballing family at BHAFC. Best of luck with all you do in the future (especially when you come to manage this great club we all love so much!). Gracias.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
For the second year running he came to our junior football club awards evening. This time he turned up with two plastic tesco bags from which he produced 5 pairs of newly cleaned football boots for our raffle. I told him I wished I had brought a marker pen with me so he could sign them - at which point he smiled and produced one fron his pocket! He was again brilliant with the kids, giving out awards, signing autographs and having photos taken. He had time to talk to parents etc. One great moment came when Dick Knight, another guest for the evening, asked our youngsters who would like to play for Albion's first team - at which Caldy put his hand up! Pure class and club legend. I sincerely hope that when his playing days are done he comes back to be an integral part of the club and its community scheme.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
calde.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here