Inigo Calderon

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Bruno has the ability to find that killer pass or cross has to start ahead of Calderon in my view.

Just can't defend for shit, which is unfortunate for a right back.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Has your uncle Steve got a master's degree in sport psychology and is he also a qualified teacher?

Letting those qualifications alone leave our coaching set up would be criminal.
Those qualifications plus bleeding blue & white would be sheer madness.

Fair point ... unaware of that

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Bruno is a player with La Liga and European experience. He's also helped the Albion to two play-off finishes in two years. He hasn't been the problem this season, neither has Calderon. Both are sufficient enough at this level, but getting a younger replacment ready wouldn't be a terrible idea!

Calderon has a fantastic record for goals + assists, and is an okay defender with great commitment.

Bruno doesn't score or assist as much as Calderon, but is cpable of that something special. Many say he's a liability in defence, but stats suggest otherwise. A defence doesn't gain the most clean sheets over a two year period if a liability as 25% of the back 4.

Personally, I would keep both at the club whilst getting a younger player ready (like Chicksen for LB). Calderon hasn't got a new contract yet, so perhaps the club are thinking of keeping Bruno as first choice, with a new player coming in as cover? I don't think Brighton would have kept Bruno unless hey believe he's still good enough as a regular, otherwise it makes sense to keep Claderon instead as a solid baxk-up choice.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I agree, and in further defence of Calde, Greer fired the ball at Calderon when he had two players marking him and nowhere to go. It was one of the 20 or 30 times Greer made very, very poor decisions in terms of his distribution.

I said the same thing on Saturday. Greer normally doesn't pass to Calde but when he does it is often in panic mode, often playing Calde into trouble. Personally, I think we looked better when Greer was out and his always blaming others for his mistakes is not what a captain should be doing.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I said the same thing on Saturday. Greer normally doesn't pass to Calde but when he does it is often in panic mode, often playing Calde into trouble. Personally, I think we looked better when Greer was out and his always blaming others for his mistakes is not what a captain should be doing.

Greer has been doing this with Calderon since the League One days. In fact, we always used to joke about never passing to Calderon then screaming abuse at him when either of the following happened: a) Calde lost it under pressure or b) it never reached him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's not to say that Bruno is bad overall. I think Bruno is good in midfield, played on the right with Calderon as the full back. Letting the two of them overlap seems the best option.

I'd be quite happy to see this tried as well. I know it didn't work when Sami tried - but there again, nothing seemed to work when Sami tried it! However, in a proper 4-2-3-1 or even a 4-4-2 I think it would be worth a try to have the pair of them running the right hand side.

Jul 17, 2014
Despite what my original post might suggest I do think Calderon is better than Bruno, but top of my list of transfer targets would be a younger and more defensive right-back and we should get one in ASAP.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Bruno is a player with La Liga and European experience. He's also helped the Albion to two play-off finishes in two years. He hasn't been the problem this season, neither has Calderon. Both are sufficient enough at this level, but getting a younger replacment ready wouldn't be a terrible idea!

Calderon has a fantastic record for goals + assists, and is an okay defender with great commitment.

Bruno doesn't score or assist as much as Calderon, but is cpable of that something special. Many say he's a liability in defence, but stats suggest otherwise. A defence doesn't gain the most clean sheets over a two year period if a liability as 25% of the back 4.

Personally, I would keep both at the club whilst getting a younger player ready (like Chicksen for LB). Calderon hasn't got a new contract yet, so perhaps the club are thinking of keeping Bruno as first choice, with a new player coming in as cover? I don't think Brighton would have kept Bruno unless hey believe he's still good enough as a regular, otherwise it makes sense to keep Claderon instead as a solid baxk-up choice.

I agree with you. Probably both are adequate, and we have other priorities, more pressing. However I do think that a fitter, quicker right back would help defensively. I know experience counts but I think a lot of wide men would fancy having go at either of them, and an opposition left-back is not going to be too concerned at facing either given their pace. Both however I think are good on the ball, and with a good wide man in front of them would get more space to operate in..keep for now, but need something else soon!

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I would like us to sign Brentford no 10 Odabajo who is a right winger or right back if we cannotget Elliott Bennett back to do the same job.

I like him as well - was impressed with his defensive cover on Saturday. Not sure why he would want to come at the moment though!

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
Burn them..... burn them I say....burn all the Nay Sayers.... are current issues are not down to Calde, but we do need to consider the future.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We have a serious problem looming with the age of our defensive options. I fail to see how we can have a 35 and a 34 year old as options at RB next season. The same can be said of Greer and Hughes. For me I would only keep Greer of all of those next season and even then as a back up. (Bruno has a new contract so I know at least one will be staying)

Calde has been a great servant and I would be happy to see him offered a behind the scenes role, but his age is starting to catch up with him IMO. Whatever we spend this month, we have a total rebuilding job to do in the summer and I feel it would be more of a question of who do we keep rather than who do we let go. Burke's biggest failure for me was not starting that process last season when it was obvious that the squad as it stood had reached the end of the line.

The Championship is a 46 game league with teams of mostly very similar ability and you need stamina and legs in your squad as much as ability to get out of it. I think most of our struggles this season have been around coping with pace and power, plus a Manager who tactically couldn't compensate for the lack of it in our squad.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We have a serious problem looming with the age of our defensive options. I fail to see how we can have a 35 and a 34 year old as options at RB next season. The same can be said of Greer and Hughes. For me I would only keep Greer of all of those next season and even then as a back up. (Bruno has a new contract so I know at least one will be staying)

Calde has been a great servant and I would be happy to see him offered a behind the scenes role, but his age is starting to catch up with him IMO. Whatever we spend this month, we have a total rebuilding job to do in the summer and I feel it would be more of a question of who do we keep rather than who do we let go. Burke's biggest failure for me was not starting that process last season when it was obvious that the squad as it stood had reached the end of the line.

The Championship is a 46 game league with teams of mostly very similar ability and you need stamina and legs in your squad as much as ability to get out of it. I think most of our struggles this season have been around coping with pace and power, plus a Manager who tactically couldn't compensate for the lack of it in our squad.
Would that be the same Burke who has supplied the club with at least 3 players to replace Dunk.
One to replace Stockdale.
Had a quality player up his sleeve in Bennett on the left, who may be available in the summer, supported by Chicksen.
Bought Ince and Stephens into the midfield.

There's a half decent chance that history might prove David Burke to be right, when it comes to recruiting into the youth set up with a view to first team football.
Sadly, for everybody, you don't even need hindsight to see his failings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here