Inigo Calderon

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It would be really great if he could transition into a coaching role at the club

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You're still not getting it. Need extra help?

Apparently so. Why should Calderon, a right back, have a hard time that Painter, a left back, is being picked ahead of him to play left back?

Why is it childish to suggest he'd be upset at, say, Buckley starting ahead of him on the right wing when Inigo has deputised there in the past, but not childish, or even wrong (apparently), to suggest he'd be upset at Mattock starting ahead of him in the left back position, where Inigo has deputised in the past?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Apparently so. Why should Calderon, a right back, have a hard time that Painter, a left back, is being picked ahead of him to play left.

Because these players TOGETHER (both left back options) were keeping Calderon out the side (including bench and first choice cover options). This resulted in less apparenances and inconsistent performances. However, due to his personal attitude towards football and Brighton he stuck at it, and he's still here and those players aren't (which is why I used them as an example, not because of their natural positions). And now he hes current form is excellent, and many say he's better than Bruno now.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Because these players TOGETHER (both left back options) were keeping Calderon out the side (including bench and first choice cover options). This resulted in less apparenances and inconsistent performances. However, due to his personal attitude towards football and Brighton he stuck at it, and he's still here and those players aren't (which is why I used them as an example, not because of their natural positions). And now he hes current form is excellent, and many say he's better than Bruno now.

And if we were out of options on the wing, Calderon could have played there, so, more players can be added to the list of those keeping him out, but when I do that it is childish.

It's not a case of Painter or Calderon. If Painter is fit, he plays left back ahead of Calderon. The same as Buckley playing on the wing, or even Greer, Du and El Abd at centreback. That's not frustrating, that's what happens when you pick a different position to someone else - they will always be favoured ahead of you.

It is no more frustrating for Calderon to see Mattock or Painter to be picked ahead of him than it is for Lualua to be picked ahead of him. Calderon is a right back, that's where he wants to play. He'll play elsewhere if it gets him on the pitch or if it helps the team, but he wouldn't begrudge any other player their place in their own position ahead of him playing out of his favoured position.

Last edited:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Calde has become my favourite current player at the club - seems a nice bloke too, hopefully he's planning on taking up coaching when he stops playing :thumbsup:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
There were times when he was only on the bench, and those three were ahead of him (at different times obviously). He was never consistently in our side.

I believe there was also two ahead of him when they went to buy the ice creams, Len and Dave. ;)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Loved the way that Calde - in a very exaggerated way - was screaming at KLL EXACTLY where he wanted the free-kick that led to our first goal. Lo and behold KLL obliged and placed it in the exact same spot, and it went in.

If he could do the same every time KLL had the ball we would score 125 goals this season

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Oh dear, another one!

No, you're just being daft. Calderon isn't a left back. He plays there when nobody else is available. Simple isn't it? Painter is a left back so was preferred to play there than a right back.

Bruno is a better player than Calderon, when fit.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
No, you're just being daft. Calderon isn't a left back. He plays there when nobody else is available. Simple isn't it? Painter is a left back so was preferred to play there than a right back.

Bruno is a better player than Calderon, when fit.

You're not comprehending my reasons correctly. We all know Calderon isn't a left back and I've never said otherwise.

Calderon has (unlike other players) remained at our club dispute having periods of inconsistent appearances. Which makes his current form very welcoming. Players like Painter and Mattock (who saw play) have faded away and are now significantly worse than Calderon (IMO). Why posters are assuming that's because I think they play the same position is beyond me.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You're not comprehending my reasons correctly. We all know Calderon isn't a left back and I've never said otherwise.

Calderon has (unlike other players) remained at our club dispute having periods of inconsistent appearances. Which makes his current form very welcoming. Players like Painter and Mattock (who saw play) have faded away and are now significantly worse than Calderon (IMO). Why posters are assuming that's because I think they play the same position is beyond me.

Ok, I see your point. It's stating the obvious - Calderon is better than Painter (never questioned) and Mattock (terrible career decision), but it's a fair point nonetheless.

Calderon is one of those blokes you can trust. Owns a dog, very clever, lives in Hove, cares about the clubs he plays for. Won't ever causr an argument because there won't need to be one. Put him on the pitch and trust he will do what you tell him to, a managers dream. Not the best player on the pitch, but more than makes up for it with his performance and he will always be a fans favourite.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
150 games for the Albion, celebrated with a goal, loved by all fans, Community Player of the year. I love him too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Why mention left backs then? Why not mention Navarro, or Sparrow? Very bizarre.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
calderon vs bristol city in that video makes up for everything

plus

he scored the 2nd goal and made the 3rd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports