Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Inguinal Hernia

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I had open surgery with a mesh, the surgeon said he felt it gave a stronger repair. Kept myself topped up on pain killers for couple of days and felt pretty out of it, but then went cold turkey and felt fine, just minor pain. I felt I could return to work within a week (desk job) but had been signed off for 2 and it was more hassle that it was worth to return before then. Like others said, about 6 weeks before returning to normal, but I tried to avoid the really heavy lifting for 9 months, that was how long my surgeon said he thought it would take to heal as much as it was going to.

I treated myself to some tracksuit bottoms as I only ever normally wear jeans with a belt, and I did live in those for the first week.

Sharing a little too much info here, but almost a year after the surgery I had a rather unpleasant experience and after lots of Googling I'm almost certain I had Penile Mondor's disease. There's not much info out there as it says it's extremey rare, but hernia repair does get mentioned in some of the articles. It cleared up within a week, but was rather worrying.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Had the op today and the experience was just as people on here described. One interesting thing was when you sign the consent form this includes the right for them to lop one of your bollocks off should the need arise (about a 1 in 200 chance) which is quite a sobering thought . I know they have to explain all the risks but that really is too much information and obviously if you don't sign then the op is cancelled. I would definitely like to get hold of what ever they inject you with to knock you out, as some posters have said you go out like a light and come to feeling like you've had a great kip. Thanks again for peoples comments about their ops, definitely prepares you for what happens during and after the procedure .

Last edited:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I had mesh inserted by keyhole surgery on both sides for two inguinal hernias. The consultant had warned me, but I thought that I had escaped. But two days after the op, it was there - the 'purple willy'! Not just there, but the whole of the groin area was that colour.
It was quite spectacular really, but not exactly something that you can show to many people.
I suffered from chronic constipation for a week, to which the consultant later confessed to probably overdoing the morphine during the op.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here