Indonesia to go ahead with execution of 6 "convicted " drug smugglers within 24 hrs.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

good or bad..?

• good

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • bad

Votes: 61 68.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I note you don't mention the young woman who was saved at the last minute - I'd imagine you haven't even thought about her two young children that had already said goodbye to their mum - aged about 6 and 8. Or indeed the man Indonesia murdered that was mentally ill - which is even against their own law.

Why would I think about them? They aren't relevant to me. Were they Australians?

People are getting executed world wide all the time. These stupid arse clowns who chose to put money before other people's welfare don't deserve any sympathy. Especially given they knew the risks and penalties.

This is all down to them, nobody else.

And I would imagine you would be crying like a baby if it were you that was about to be shot after being framed ( like the woman was ).

I wouldn't put myself in that position would I. So no, I wouldn't be crying at all.

I note you don't mention the young woman who was saved at the last minute - I'd imagine you haven't even thought about her two young children that had already said goodbye to their mum - aged about 6 and 8. Or indeed the man Indonesia murdered that was mentally ill - which is even against their own law.

And I would imagine you would be crying like a baby if it were you that was about to be shot after being framed ( like the woman was ).

Serious question.

How do you know she was framed?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why would I think about them? They aren't relevant to me. Were they Australians?

People are getting executed world wide all the time. These stupid arse clowns who chose to put money before other people's welfare don't deserve any sympathy. Especially given they knew the risks and penalties.

You need to read what is actually written. I didn't mention the two Aussies.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Just a couple of technicalities: lots of people enjoy drugs especially in western countries, including Australia where they were taking them. Alcohol is a drug so the hypocrisy is always close to hand in this instances. The woman increasingly looks framed, so how do you know others might not have been? Will this stop the drugs trade in your black or white opinion?

I don't drink. However alcohol is legal. Heroin is not.

No it won't stop the drugs trade. What is black and white is that if you go to a foreign nation and you break their laws, you do not deserve to ask to be judged by the laws and standards of the land you come from.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well that's what this thread is about and on what i'm commenting on.

I have no interest in other foreign nationals fates in Indonesia or anywhere, that's for their people to sort out.

Errrr .... "Indonesia to go ahead with execution of 6 "convicted " drug smugglers within 24 hrs."

Reading really isn't your strong point is it ?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Errrr .... "Indonesia to go ahead with execution of 6 "convicted " drug smugglers within 24 hrs."

Reading really isn't your strong point is it ?

It is.

I'm Australian, I am commenting on the Australian criminals.

I know nothing of the other 4, does not relate to my interest in what happened to those two.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
You trust it with your life, whether it's when you use the NHS (on the operating table), it's fire service, it's school (insofar as giving you life skills, like telling you not to drink poisonous chemicals or food, teaching you how to swim) or it's transportation network (Air Traffic Control, Road integrity or the standards it demands of drivers to be competent).

For example, we can thank the state that we have a police force, driving instructors, and a Highways Agency. Road deaths would be considerably worse than they are without any of these three.

We can thank the state that we have a safe electricity network, and our appliances are safe to use, tested, earthed, and not going to burn our house down when we plug them in. The state imposes standards, regulations and laws to make this so. The same applies with the cars we drive (MOT's), the chemicals we are allowed to store, the distribution of weapons and ammunition - the list goes on and on. Gas installation has to be 'Gas Safe', shops have to comply with the sale of goods act, employers must comply with the Health and Safety at Work Act, we expect or Judiciary to be fair and impartial, our food to not contain Horse meat (a crass example but just one of many), we expect to have certain rights of return and refund for faulty goods..........

The state makes no claim to being the arbiter of right or wrong, nor to infallability, but if we all 'subscribe' to it's legitimacy, then we are collectively responsible for it, good or bad.

All of the things that you list the State provides with varying degrees of efficiency 50%,60%, 70% 80% maybe even 90%, if your very lucky. Which percentage would you be happy with if it was your life on the line?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All of the things that you list the State provides with varying degrees of efficiency 50%,60%, 70% 80% maybe even 90%, if your very lucky. Which percentage would you be happy with if it was your life on the line?

Your life is very much on the line when you are on an NHS operating table, or in a flight in the hands of air traffic control over Heathrow or Gatwick. What percentage do you accept in those situations?

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
What makes a financial crime that deprive 1000's of people pensions or investments, creates conditions for suicide, wrecks lives any different in impact. Point is there is no death penalty anwhere for that, which shows double standards on behalf of governments IMO. These executions were done to serve a political point, not for victims of drug trafficking. Should we execute people smugglers or the drivers of lorries who carry them or boat captains who organise the trip. Plenty die due to this.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

I wouldn't put myself in that position would I. So no, I wouldn't be crying at all.

That's not very Christian of you Tyrone.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I recall being quite disturbed by all this when it came out, haven't seen it in ages so might give it a go.

Bangkok_Hilton_1989.jpg

Manny Pacquiao is going to visit Mary Jane Veloso in Indonesia after the big fight on Saturday

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Perhaps its been said before, but I don't think anyone can deny that they didn't know what the consequences of being caught drug trafficing would be.

But will their execution mean that some junkie in Jakarta or Sydney will stop taking heroin? Will it stop some kid trying it for the first time,. Will it stop someone overdosing , of course not, I mean demand creates supply anyway.

All that has been achieved is justice being "done" and now several grieving families. It feels such a waste really, could the Indonesians not got them to grass on their bosses in exchange for a prison sentence?

Countries like Indonesia use the death penalty for drug trafficing as a way showing they are being "tough" on drugs, when in reality it does nothing to actually solve their drug problems. So perhaps their government would be better to spend time finding out why their people take drugs anyway (grinding poverty, etc).

This is where a re think on the so called War on Drugs would perhaps avoid situations like this.

kjgood

As you fly into Indonesia and Singapore, airlines read out a prepared script which tells you that smuggling drugs is a capital offence. If you are prepared to take the risk you must be prepared to face the consequences. I'm not sure if I totally agree with capital punishment nowadays, but it is their law and a warning is given.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
The greater the risk, the higher the reward. Doesnt stop people doing it, just increases the price they will charge. No deterrent will stop.it, if it did, noone would be on death row in the US.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As you fly into Indonesia and Singapore, airlines read out a prepared script which tells you that smuggling drugs is a capital offence. If you are prepared to take the risk you must be prepared to face the consequences. I'm not sure if I totally agree with capital punishment nowadays, but it is their law and a warning is given.

This. I guess at some point a country has to be prepared to follow through with their widely publicised ultimate deterrent, else it will be deemed to be an empty threat. In the case of the Bali Nine, it is only the two identified as the ring-leaders who have suffered this fate. The remaining seven have received lesser sentences.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just out of interest, if you got on the plane without knowing this, and you had half a K of H stuffed down your underpants or wherever, does the airline offer any practical advice on how you can change your mind and not go through with it?

Agree with your post, though - a warning is given, and if someone decides to go ahead and take the risk, well, it's their choice, isn't it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports