Indonesia to go ahead with execution of 6 "convicted " drug smugglers within 24 hrs.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

good or bad..?

• good

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • bad

Votes: 61 68.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/death-row-inmate-freed-after-4155896 ..... luckily for him he wasn't executed but he did the time but DIDN'T do the crime. I'd imagine there's a fair few people who have been executed who were innocent but I guess because it isn't you, you don't give a toss.

That's what I don't get about people who support the death penalty. There are so many examples of people who were wrongly executed and others, since the death penalty has been abolished, who would have been before. How can anyone support a law that wrongly kills people? If one person out of 1,000 executed is innocent (and the figures are far more than that) surely that makes it wrong.

I also don't understand the logic of it is wrong to kill people (or deal drugs which end up killing people) and to prove that we're going to kill you.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
but we can't let everybody off just in case they're innocent,jails would be empty

some people are actually nasty and deserve being locked up

Are you serious? You don't understand the difference between being locked up and being executed. We're not talking about giving long prison terms (which is the right thing). We're talking about state supported murder (which is morally wrong).

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Are you serious? You don't understand the difference between being locked up and being executed. We're not talking about giving long prison terms (which is the right thing) and state supported murder (which is morally wrong).

morally wrong?

so is drug smuggling in my book

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
but we can't let everybody off just in case they're innocent,jails would be empty

some people are actually nasty and deserve being locked up

Indeed .... but not murdered.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I don't think anyone is suggesting that these guys didn't make a pretty dumb decision (although in the case of some of them, no doubt poverty was a driving factor). However just warning someone of the consequences of an action doesn't make you immune to criticism if those consequences are unnecessarily harsh.

That may be true, but saying 'if you can't do the time, don't do the crime' does make me sound like a hard man.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
who's innocent?

A lot of people who are executed, in case you hadn't noticed. For the record, one of the men executed today was mentally ill. Are you okay with that? Another was executed under the wrong name as the Indonesian authorities wouldn't accept that he entered the country with a false passport.

The two Australians admitted their guilt after they were found guilty and said that they regretted their stupid actions. They have done a lot to encourage fellow inmates to come off drugs (and helped to teach many inmates in their previous prison). They've done far more to try to discourage drugs than Widodo's government can dream of doing yet they are murdered by the state to put people off drugs. Does that not seem a little odd to you?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
The bloke in the link I posted who was on death row. If he'd been executed they couldn't have released him when new DNA evidence techniques came along.

And in our very own good old UK - this man - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wrongly-hanged-hanratty-is-found-innocent-1285402.html

of course no one who's innocent should ever get executed,nothing is really fail safe

but what I will say is,plenty of parents have watched their children being hooked on drugs by suppliers and some haven't made it

drug deallers, suppliers are scum of the earth and I wouldn't shed one tear if they end up getting hung

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
of course no one who's innocent should ever get executed,nothing is really fail safe

but what I will say is,plenty of parents have watched their children being hooked on drugs by suppliers and some haven't made it

drug deallers, suppliers are scum of the earth and I wouldn't shed one tear if they end up getting hung

So your theory is that just as long as the bad people die then it doesn't matter if the odd innocent person dies as well ? You wouldn't be American by any chance would you ?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
So your theory is that just as long as the bad people die then it doesn't matter if the odd innocent person dies as well ? You wouldn't be American by any chance would you ?

read the top line of the post you just quoted

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
read the top line of the post you just quoted

I did and the two parts of it contradict each other.

So, you support the death penalty yet admit it's impossible to prevent innocent people being executed ? So basically your willing to take that risk ?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I did and the two parts of it contradict each other.

So, you support the death penalty yet admit it's impossible to prevent innocent people being executed ? So basically your willing to take that risk ?

but where do you stop with your theory,let all rapists go,just in case the DNA has a 0.0001 per cent chance of being wrong?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
but where do you stop with your theory,let all rapists go,just in case the DNA has a 0.0001 per cent chance of being wrong?

Where do you stop with your theory? Many things are addictive, many things kill people. Do you execute drinks company bosses? Drugs are just one of many.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports