Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I've found 2014 a bit odd. I was looking forward to the Hobbes Fanclub, Gold Bears and Allo Darlin' albums but found them all a little underwhelming. Really like the Martha album though, probably my favourite this year. And I liked a lot of stuff that Tuff Enuff Records put out. As you say, lots of other stuff I haven't remembered yet.

That Martha album has its moments. Bubble in the Bloodstream would have made my top songs list if it had ended after the sublime instrumental middle bit rather than carried on with its slightly nasal trying-too-hard end bit tacked on. I liked Gold-Bears more than Allo Darlin'. The album by Literature was my favourite - just great tunes, backed up by chiming guitars.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

That McCarthy Album looks a pretty decent buy. Even though I have some of the tracks already.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
That Martha album has its moments. Bubble in the Bloodstream would have made my top songs list if it had ended after the sublime instrumental middle bit rather than carried on with its slightly nasal trying-too-hard end bit tacked on.

I liked the end bit best! "It's the congenital condition I'd hoped was in remission that inevitably came back".

Flex Your Head

Speaking of Hebden Bridge, did you get along to Clinic and King Champion Sounds last week?

I really don't get on with Martha, probably because I'm an irrational music snob. I've seen 'em loads of times now, but every time I just get annoyed that they're rehashing loads of bands from about 15 years ago and it's being lapped up as something revolutionary and awe-inspiring. Plus one of their voices really annoys me.

It's a bit like football snobbery I s'pose: "Where were you when this music was deemed shit?"

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Speaking of Hebden Bridge, did you get along to Clinic and King Champion Sounds last week?

I really don't get on with Martha, probably because I'm an irrational music snob. I've seen 'em loads of times now, but every time I just get annoyed that they're rehashing loads of bands from about 15 years ago and it's being lapped up as something revolutionary and awe-inspiring. Plus one of their voices really annoys me.

It's a bit like football snobbery I s'pose: "Where were you when this music was deemed shit?"

Get over yourself - this kind of indie elitism makes me SICK. What are your feelings on Los Campesinos?

Flex Your Head

Get over yourself - this kind of indie elitism makes me SICK. What are your feelings on Los Campesinos?

I did say it's irrational.

I only know a couple of Los Campesinos tracks, but they're pretty bloody good. Well, one of them was and then it got picked up by an American beer company for their ads and it became shit overnight.

Weird, eh?

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester

Well I never really got on with Clinic for equally irrational reasons, namely that a bloke I knew who was a massive fan of theirs was a complete tosser. These things reflect on bands for a long time for me.

Hebden Bridge Trades Club's a brilliant venue, though. Seen lots of good gigs there.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
By the way, as we approach post 1986 on this thread, I'm wondering whether we should start posting videos of classic songs released in years to co-ordinate with post numbers. However, this could get chaotic and out of step very quickly......

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
By the way, as we approach post 1986 on this thread, I'm wondering whether we should start posting videos of classic songs released in years to co-ordinate with post numbers. However, this could get chaotic and out of step very quickly......

A nice idea tiny, but DOOMED to abject failure / shambles, surely!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here