Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Boooo. I asked Gary Strickland about Brighton...

What a LET DOWN.

Brighton Beach started in Leeds I think. Height of Britpop. It was awful - I used to go at least once a month for years as there was nothing else on. Saw some horrible bands there- Echobelly, Menswear, Shed Seven, Supergrass (who were ok to be fair).

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
"Brighton is such an iconic place, so I used it in the song." There's some solace there. What other mentions are there of Brighton in indie music? Whenever we are speeding down the A23, we always put on Wating For The 7:18 by Bloc Party just before Pyecombe. If I time it just right, we get to the anthemic "Let's drive to Brighton on the weekend" bit just as we get within sight of the old grey pillars at the side of the road, making us feel simultaneously happy that we're coming home and sad that it's (currently) no longer our "home".

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Possibly not the celebratory mood you're looking for, but the Three Johns did a song "lamenting" Norman Tebbit's injuries in the Grand Hotel bombing. Not on Youtube surprisingly.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
The Television Personalities had an early song called 'Awaydays to Brighton' which was released on the Paisley Shirts and Mini Skirts CD - a recording of their first gig.
I'm sure it's on YouTube but I can't access it from work. Dead good though.

Yes. A rare example of a band who get progressively less competent live as time went on.

Flex Your Head

Ha! Very true.

I remember seeing them once at a pub in Camden and Dan introduced a song (Not Even a Maybe I think). I did a tiny little 'yay' to which he responded sourly, "Why are you cheering? We've never played it before, it's brand new." He was genuinely surprised when I mentioned that they'd played it just 8 days earlier at a gig in New Cross.

Rather strangely though, about 9 months later at a Brigton Richmond gig, he recognised me and beckoned me over to a table him and Jowe were having a pint at to ask about the support band.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I saw them once at the Duchess in Leeds, probably 1990ish. They managed three and a half songs. They just could not stay in tune, to the extent that even they noticed. Jowe looked at his bass, said "and they call this a precision instrument" and walked off. End of gig.

Flex Your Head

Saw some horrible bands there- Echobelly, Menswear, Shed Seven, Supergrass (who were ok to be fair).

A couple of the blokes I worked with in HMV had a band called Colourburst who played with Echobelly in Brighton once. One of them gave the Echobelly guitarist a demo-tape as he was saying how much he’d enjoyed Colourburst’s set.

6 months later and Echobelly released their album which features an almost identical track to the demo-tape’s main song. I think it might have actually been released as a single too The thieving Britpop buggers.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
A couple of the blokes I worked with in HMV had a band called Colourburst who played with Echobelly in Brighton once. One of them gave the Echobelly guitarist a demo-tape as he was saying how much he’d enjoyed Colourburst’s set.

6 months later and Echobelly released their album which features an almost identical track to the demo-tape’s main song. I think it might have actually been released as a single too The thieving Britpop buggers.

I saw Echobelly once. Once.

Flex Your Head

I saw them once at the Duchess in Leeds, probably 1990ish. They managed three and a half songs. They just could not stay in tune, to the extent that even they noticed. Jowe looked at his bass, said "and they call this a precision instrument" and walked off. End of gig.
I love Jowe.
They only played 5 songs at the New Cross Venue gig I mentioned above. I remember being a tad miffed as it had been an expensive and awkward night out thanks to 'engineering works' on the railway. I eventually got home in the early hours, having paid £20 for a cab to Peacehaven.

*clearly still smarting*

Flex Your Head

This looks interesting, but I've not had a chance to check any of it out yet. It's all FREE though, so no excuse not to have a dabble.

"We asked a lot of our favourite bands to make a song together with another band of their choice, and this is the result."

http://www.eardrumspop.com/2014/05/27/epop037-between-two-waves-the-second-wave-vol-abc/

1. KEEN ON GIRLS (The Bilinda Butchers + PASTEL GHOST) – Sea Wave
2. Heart Noir (Tiny Fireflies + Boyish) – Left Behind
3. Greenland Sea (The Swapsies + Jam On Bread) – Bureau de Change
4. Red Deer People (Sleeping Policemen + Firestations)- Early Warning System
5. The Saint Valentine State (Lost Tapes + Wallflower ) – Moments are Moments
6. The Restoration (Darren Hayman + Ralegh Long) – Cut Out the Noise
7. What We Did On Our Holiday (Let’s Say We Did + Top Sound) – A World Away
8. Soft Lads (Finnmark! + This Many Boyfriends)- Never Again
9. EVIL (Evripidis from Evripidis & His Tragedies + Odil Bright) – Play it Sam
10. The Paris Work-In (The Mare + There Is Thunder In Our Hearts)- I Will Think of What You Said

Here is what you can expect on Volume B:

1. The Sarah Palin Theme Song (Onward Chariots + Sundae) – In My Scene
2. The Quiet Hearts (The Very Most + Arts & Leisure) – Bluebird
3. Kitten Club (Northern Spies + Kids On Bikes) – Så Säkert Nu
4. Coquelicot (Pale Spectres + Postal Blue) – Can’t Say Goodbye
5. The Carlisles (Rachel Queen + Joe Brooker) – Japanese Embassy
6. Mikroflirt (Mikrofisch + Flïrt) – Girl in a Tree
7. The Strumpets (Adam John Miller of T.O.Y.S. etc + Lisa Bouvier of The Flatmates etc) – Oranges are Orange
8. The Grave Lobby (Bears + Starlet) – The Singing Pines
9. The Orchestrals of Normandy (The Understudies + A Little Orchestra) – If I come to you (remixed by Sunny Intervals)
10. Featherfin ft. The Seven Twenty - Autumn Leaves, Summer Breeze
11. Shekon & Anna (Shekon + Anna Frankl-Duval) – She Chromatic

Here is what you can expect on Volume C:

1. Ivor MacGyver (The Just Joans + The Spook School) – Saliva
2. Photon (Watoo Watoo + MAUP) – La fuite en arrière (En-joy)
3. Guards! Guards! (Monster Bobby + Lisa Bouvier) – Go Nowhere
4. Field Glass (Enderby’s room + Jacob Mayfield from Victoria & Jacob) – Postcards
5. Franklin’s Kite (Postal Blue + Marc Elston) – Mumble
6. Edine (Fireflies +The Marshmallow Kisses) - Where The Sidewalk Ends
7. The Color Waves (Alison Eales + Garry Hoggan (both All My Friends/Butcher Boy)) – Adjustments
8. Warped Kiss (Jon Kohen + Warped Forest) – You Always Find a Way
9. Crimson & The Sunbird (ANT + Loud Off + Adam Kirk) – Where Did the Day Go?
10. After The Noise (Robert Post + Ingrid Støy)- Those Were The Days

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Did we ever get round to properly doing 'half decent indie bands who chased the £ and turned into something shit instead'?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
This still hits the spot after all these years. They are playing on 11th October at The Green Door Store.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
I stumbled over this site www.earbits.com for obscure US Indie bands. All free and they have Streaming Apps for your respective Smartphones. Highly recommend you give it a try......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here