Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Had a read of that last night. Admired their attitude then, still admire it now. Where are those pathetic NME hacks now? Maybe they're writing for The Mail on Sunday. "The people who said that I was wrong and they were right." Still haven't seen this film. Waiting for the inevitable appearance on BBC 4 on a Friday night. Did I ever tell you that I visited There And Back Again Lane on my honeymoon?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Last night I dreamed of a club night called "The Drums Should All Be Murdered"

Time to reassess my medication

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I didn't know that Simon Westwood (Esmerelda's Kite/ Gentle Despite) had died. I used to know him a bit.... Sad

It is sad, but he leaves a legacy in disparate households across the world, including mine.....RIP

Attachments

• gd2.jpg
    gd2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 80
  • gd1.jpg
    gd1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 81
  • ek1.jpg
    ek1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I've also got a Gentle Despite bootleg (yes, I know) with a mean version of Interstellar Overdrive on it.

That's dedication to the cause Staly - I'm pretty sure that I know no-one else with a Gentle Despite bootleg. They didn't sell them at Brighton market.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
A friend and I encountered Simon on the way home from the pub once. He was so pissed that he obviously had no chance of reaching his own house, so we took him back to ours to sleep on the sofa. He spent 3 hours trying to convince our rock loving housemate that his Led Zeppelin lps were full of satanic messages by drunkenly winding them backwards and forwards on the turntable. "No, no, lishen, can't you hear it? "Satan is lord, Satan is lord"". It was hilarious.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I've also got a Gentle Despite bootleg (yes, I know) with a mean version of Interstellar Overdrive on it.

If that's on a flexidisc it should have featured in 'The History of the World in 100 Items'

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Even better, it's on a C15 computer tape of the type that we used to use to swap ZX Spectrum games on. How's that for a cultural artefact?

My first band (when I was 14 - Meaty Sausage) recorded all three of our albums on C15. I had to doctor the tape so that it said "Commuter tape" rather than "Computer tape", so our first album was called "Obscure Epigrams (The Commuter Tape)". We were falling apart by the time of our third and final album which was a concept album about The Famous 5 called, elegiacally, "Farewell To The Five Forever".

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Even better, it's on a C15 computer tape of the type that we used to use to swap ZX Spectrum games on. How's that for a cultural artefact?

Is it, or was it ever, labelled with dymo tape?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Was it at the West Hill Hall? I've come down for a few gigs there - Hidden Cameras, Blue Minkies, Sock Puppets and a few others - and it's great. Close to the station but suitably tucked away, and 'bring your own booze' pretty much ensures a cheap night out.
Did you enjoy Catenary Wires? I saw them last December, and in a small, cosy upstairs room of a pub with Christmas tree and lights, as evening fell outside, they sounded pretty good. Not great, and Amelia's voice struggled at times, but decent enough. I can't really imagine listening to them at any other time though.

Incidentally, full Indietracks line-up, schedule and band biographies now up - http://www.indietracks.co.uk/line-up/
49 track compilation for £3 available here - http://indietracks.bandcamp.com/album/indietracks-compilation-2015

Anyone here going along? [MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION]?

Just back from an Internet free zone in Spain hence my late reply. Yes, Westhill and agree a suitable place for all things indie. Can't imagine anything too noisy working there but happy to be proved wrong. Saw The Lovely Eggs recently and they also worked well. I fancy Indietracks but its my dads 90 th so would be very wrong to miss that followed the next day by sons 25th.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I am, by the way, very much enjoying the new(ish) Twerps album. Very Flying Nun. Anyone else a fan? Crap name for a band though.

https://chaptermusic.bandcamp.com/album/range-anxiety

I gave it a few spins a few months back, I think. Quite nice, but not earth-shattering. The vocals are a step up from the album before (which is good). The Delgados also seemed to get better at singing as they went on.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
So Indietracks 2015 has come and gone with nary a mention on here! Shame about the rain on Friday and Sunday, but I enjoyed The Luxembourg Signal, the bits of Tuff Love I got to see, Evans The Death (finally better than a recent iffy London show), The Leaf Library were good too, wish I'd seen the whole set. It was difficult to fit it all in, but still a great atmosphere...

Quote from my little boy: "Would you like to see the owls?" "If you mean birds, yes, if you mean a band, no"....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So Indietracks 2015 has come and gone with nary a mention on here! Shame about the rain on Friday and Sunday, but I enjoyed The Luxembourg Signal, the bits of Tuff Love I got to see, Evans The Death (finally better than a recent iffy London show), The Leaf Library were good too, wish I'd seen the whole set. It was difficult to fit it all in, but still a great atmosphere...

Quote from my little boy: "Would you like to see the owls?" "If you mean birds, yes, if you mean a band, no"....

Saw some bits and pieces online. Weather looked really shit. Big shame. Glad it was a good one.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
The Chesterfields, one of the first Indie bands we ever put on at The Rumble Club in Tunbridge Wells, are on Six Music right now! Lovely stuff. Poor old Davey was killed in a hit and run a few years back.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Ok- so Bobby is back. Lets see if we can fill a couple of pages with some Bobby related pop!
Here's a starter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here