Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

India launches spacecraft to Mars ... UK gives India £200m foreign aid

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The bailouts were "short term" (and arguably political) fixes and the wrong thing to do.

Let a bank fall and then other banks will "behave" as they know they won't be bailed out.
As it is, the "evil bankers" can get away with anything as they're "too big" to fail. We reap what we sow.

If you gamble and get bailed out when you lose, you carry on gambling.

The questions I ask post the ' banking crisis ' are...
1) Have the banks learnt from their mistakes of the past?
2) Are they still putting their interests and agendas before that of their customers?
3) Are they still ' mis-selling and misrepresenting ' products and services.
4) Are they still making up charges and fees as they go along ( think of a number and double it and lets see if we get away with it )?
5) Are they trying to help SME's or are they continuing to tighten the belt over lending and overdrafts?
6) Are large bonuses still part of the banking culture?
7) Has any trust been restored between the public and the banking sector?
8) At retail level, they are spending millions refurbishing branches, making them look like open-plan offices. Has their service improved, though? Are the public still visiting branches and finding long queues for the few available windows, whilst blinds are pulled down on others, as cashiers do ' other work '
9) Are cashiers still trying to do selling jobs on customers, whilst queues grow in branch?...." Your account qualifies for an upgrade....have you considered this....have you considered that....would you like me to make an appointment for you with our advisor " ( cue...cashier disappearing for 2-3 minutes to try and find said advisor....meanwhile, queues growing to do their banking )
10 ) Repeat no.1

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The questions I ask post the ' banking crisis ' are...
1) Have the banks learnt from their mistakes of the past?
2) Are they still putting their interests and agendas before that of their customers?
3) Are they still ' mis-selling and misrepresenting ' products and services.
4) Are they still making up charges and fees as they go along ( think of a number and double it and lets see if we get away with it )?
5) Are they trying to help SME's or are they continuing to tighten the belt over lending and overdrafts?
6) Are large bonuses still part of the banking culture?
7) Has any trust been restored between the public and the banking sector?
8) At retail level, they are spending millions refurbishing branches, making them look like open-plan offices. Has their service improved, though? Are the public still visiting branches and finding long queues for the few available windows, whilst blinds are pulled down on others, as cashiers do ' other work '
9) Are cashiers still trying to do selling jobs on customers, whilst queues grow in branch?...." Your account qualifies for an upgrade....have you considered this....have you considered that....would you like me to make an appointment for you with our advisor " ( cue...cashier disappearing for 2-3 minutes to try and find said advisor....meanwhile, queues growing to do their banking )
10 ) Repeat no.1

Do you really think that either the banks internal risk mitigation teams, and the external regulatory bodies would ignore all those lessons fron 2007/8??......Let me tell you, they aren't, and I speak from the middle if one of the biggest UK banks.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
This isn't £200m our government commits out of the pure goodness of their hearts, this is part of ensuring an involvement in an emerging economy, and opening of doors and strategic invitations. Call me a cynic, but it's all a bit Smashie and Nicie; 'hey want to do some business mate, we do a lot of work for charity...'.

I wouldn't be surprised if much of their space programme is built from British supply contracts.

Yes , our £ 200 million has ensured our involvement so well that the Indians have awarded their biggest ever trade contract , a multi billion dollar deal for fighter planes to the.......French.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
This isn't £200m our government commits out of the pure goodness of their hearts, this is part of ensuring an involvement in an emerging economy, and opening of doors and strategic invitations. Call me a cynic, but it's all a bit Smashie and Nicie; 'hey want to do some business mate, we do a lot of work for charity...'.

I wouldn't be surprised if much of their space programme is built from British supply contracts.

So why did they place a huge order for military places with France? Hmmmm this whole topic needs open scrutiny to see who really benefits.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
It would be interesting to know how many of the 1st World nations have "broken their promise" on maintaining their own respective International Aid budget since the 2008 financial crisis and reduced their contributions accordingly.

I did read somewhere that many have had to cut back their aid in accordance to their other cuts. Like it when Cameron says 'we as a country made a pledge'. I didn't and expect millions more didn't either.

What's wrong with our politicians when they don't listen to the general public and think they know best. I'd love it for all poliations to swap places with the public just for winter and see if they are so high and mighty after.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I suppose, in an attempt to have a more educated argument here, it would be useful to know what the value of the UK's overall trade is with India, which is, after all, the second largest country in the world in terms of population and an increasingly powerful presence in terms of international business.

It does seem strange to be giving aid to a country that has nuclear weapons and a space programme, but I wouldn't mind betting that the value of our trade with them is far in excess of £200 million. Perhaps it's one of those little things that Governments do to help smooth that relationship. A small (relatively speaking) sweetener in terms of what we get in return.

I have no idea, by the way, it was just a thought.

In 2010 the UK Government introduced a Bribery and Corruption Act to prevent "sweeteners" in part because international Govts concerns about the way global business works, remember how BAE had used its shareholders money to sweeten deals with the Saudis.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...s-400m-to-settle-bribery-charges-1891027.html

Following the case BAE's order book shortened up and job losses followed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15063827

The UK now has amongst the most stringent anti corruption regulations in the world (see link below), which increases the costs for UK firms seeking to trade in international markets and now puts UK business at a disadvantage.

http://www.financierworldwide.com/article.php?id=8188

If the UK wants to use UK taxpayers markets to sweeten trade with other Governments then they should be honest to the electorate about it and then they could allow UK business to act with the same flexibility..............otherwise its just more of the same "do as I say bullshit".

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes , our £ 200 million has ensured our involvement so well that the Indians have awarded their biggest ever trade contract , a multi billion dollar deal for fighter planes to the.......French.

So why did they place a huge order for military places with France? Hmmmm this whole topic needs open scrutiny to see who really benefits.

I didn't say it worked, or that I agreed with it, or that it's right or wrong!

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Personally I find this historical context where you wish to invalidate any debate on current affairs as tiresome.

I have no doubt that if you wish to quantify our history in terms of some moral profit and loss account we will be indebted to some whilst owed much by many.

You said "I suspect that politicians just keep spunking our money to India because ...... ermmm that's what we have always done." You've implied all we've done is give. You've actually given your point the historical context, all I've done is question it. Where have I invalidated the debate?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The French can do it, we can't - a bit like how they're building our new nuclear power station too.

Perhaps this money would be better spent on creating these industries ourselves... Britain's biggest mistake (and will ultimately be our downfall unless this changes soon) is that we rely on other countries for so much.

Time for a bit of Top Gear...

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Do you really think that either the banks internal risk mitigation teams, and the external regulatory bodies would ignore all those lessons fron 2007/8??......Let me tell you, they aren't, and I speak from the middle if one of the biggest UK banks.

I suggest you go out into the high streets and start asking some questions. Or watch some of the ' consumer protection ' programmes being broadcast. Or visit a random selection of SME's and find out whether they are getting the support they expect.
Or turn on the television or read certain newspapers.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just to put things into perspective:
Cost to go to mars: £45m
Gareth Bale: £80-90m ish
The Amex: £100m ish

Just saying.

Really ? Are you sure about that ?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You said "I suspect that politicians just keep spunking our money to India because ...... ermmm that's what we have always done." You've implied all we've done is give. You've actually given your point the historical context, all I've done is question it. Where have I invalidated the debate?

Its nearly impossible to quantify our impact in many countries, especially as the interpretation might differ so much from person to person and country to country, thats why for me I think it offers little.

Best to cringe at the wholly unjustifiable waste of our money :)

Jan 30, 2008
don't know whjy i'm bothering but...

Pre existing agreement - india won't be receiving a penny post 2016 (from memory).
Loads of people in india need aid.
The whole world benefits from the associated discoveries of space travel, especially us.
£200m is really not alot of money.
you're right, i couldn't think what i'd do with it :tosser:
regards
DR

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
This is one of those brilliant threads where (next to) no one knows anything but everyone has an opinion regardless.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Aid isn't charity but it's not a bribe either.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I suggest you go out into the high streets and start asking some questions. Or watch some of the ' consumer protection ' programmes being broadcast. Or visit a random selection of SME's and find out whether they are getting the support they expect.
Or turn on the television or read certain newspapers.

I'll let the bank strategists know your ideas, I am sure they wouldn't have thought about market research before....cheers.

D

Deleted member 22389

Once again, as it has been said a million times, someone is clearly taking the p*ss out of UK tax payers once again. If India can spend 55 million launching a spacecraft to Mars, then why are we sending them £200 million pounds in foreign aid. How about they send some aid our way for a change, because last time I checked we had thousands of people having to use food banks in this country because they cannot afford to live.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Once again, as it has been said a million times, someone is clearly taking the p*ss out of UK tax payers once again. If India can spend 55 million launching a spacecraft to Mars, then why are we sending them £200 million pounds in foreign aid. How about they send some aid our way for a change, because last time I checked we had thousands of people having to use food banks in this country because they cannot afford to live.

helloooooooooooo....well pointed out mate.....:thumbsup: check that ****er fawazi out , robbing git...!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here