Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Independent Pub Challenge.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Ok inspired by some people's affection and frustration with chain pubs, i challange NSC to see if we can get round the coast (ish) of Britain clockwise. Recommending independent pubs, then moving on clockwise to the next drinking hole.
Starting in Brighton and heading west finishing finally in Lewes.

So to start our journey where else but The Evening Star.

evening-star-brighton-05-500x375.jpg

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I know a great one in North Wales - remind me to post it up on this thread in ten years time...

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Ok inspired by some people's affection and frustration with chain pubs, i challange NSC to see if we can get round the coast (ish) of Britain clockwise. Recommending independent pubs, then moving on clockwise to the next drinking hole.
Starting in Brighton and heading west finishing finally in Lewes.

So to start our journey where else but The Evening Star.

evening-star-brighton-05-500x375.jpg

A pedant speaks: the Evening Star isn't independent, it's tied to a brewery, although it's in a chain of only three so I definitely know where you are coming from.

Here's my choice for Worthing:

6083369559_ea70c4009b_z.jpg

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
We need a definition of independent. Most pubs are owned by a brewery, but are run on an independent tenancy from that brewery. So they are basically someone local's business. But they might not do a massive range of weird and wonderful real ales that hardly anyone would drink anyway.

Anyways, remind me when this hits Aberystwyth.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Five Bells, Smock Alley, 100% independent.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
We need a definition of independent. Most pubs are owned by a brewery, but are run on an independent tenancy from that brewery. So they are basically someone local's business. But they might not do a massive range of weird and wonderful real ales that hardly anyone would drink anyway.

Anyways, remind me when this hits Aberystwyth.

Ok i think something like Dave Day's Lion group is the max, in terms of scale. So about 10 and under, the more singular the better.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
With the Beer Engine in Devon good shout but we should be able to get a few more in before we reach there.

Lets move on from the Selden Arms, Worthing.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Lion & Lobster fits the bill. News of a new Lion & Lobster coming soon by the way. Town centre and huge.

The Camelford Arms if you're gay.

The Brunswick in Hove have just purchased the freehold so aren't tied now either.

The Lamb in Angmering is also a stand-alone freehold looking good.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Top Pub, no jukebox, no TV, just 5 Real Ales and a 100% stroppy clientele.....:drink:

We're not ALWAYS stroppy! Just when the landlord runs out of beer/ice/peanuts/electricity/vodka/coca cola/chips/Sunday lunch at 12:45 etc!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here