Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Independent Football Ombudsman rules on Albion fan ban and loyalty points deduction

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I received one today from a sex toy company offering me a 15% discount on their products to celebrate the King’s Coronation.

Not sure that Charles will be thinking when he puts on the big hat “Not only is this my day but one of my citizens is saving £8 on a Cuntbuster XXL, it makes being a King even better”

Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu

:lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I bought two tickets for Wembley for last Sunday for myself and Mrs EP as we are both STH. In the end did not use them due to circumstances changing a day before match took place. T’s and C’s were no transfers or refunds allowed. Wasn’t bothered about a refund so ended up with two seats unoccupied. I don’t see how this is a good thing, but club seems to prefer it to having an Albion fan there...or even better, two!

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The club have misread the room IMO. They get 90% of things absolutely spot on. It’s a shame they can’t admit the 10% they get wrong.
I think it’s more like 99% spot on to be honest.

But that 1% is clearly a problem. I’m not going to let this take the gloss off our best season in history (like others have done) but the issue needs to be sorted. A better alert system (SMS?) for when someone buys your ticket on F&Fs, an apology and the reinstatement of points with compensation is needed.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I bought two tickets for Wembley for last Sunday for myself and Mrs EP as we are both STH. In the end did not use them due to circumstances changing a day before match took place. T’s and C’s were no transfers or refunds allowed. Wasn’t bothered about a refund so ended up with two seats unoccupied. I don’t see how this is a good thing, but club seems to prefer it to having an Albion fan there...or even better, two!
Isn't the point though that the club have no idea whether a ticket is being passed to an Albion fan, a random who's prepared to pay over the odds or even someone who's been banned? Personally, as a regular away fan, I think the policy is the right one however the club should look to introduce the option to return a ticket if you can't go (and if it does get resold, a refund) and also a change of terms for the 1901s so they can't get tickets for people that don't have the loyalty points.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The club are implying that Fan B knew that a ticket had been bought in his name but he clearly can't disprove it (and neither can they prove that he did).
This shows there is a flaw in the system.
Either the system is foolproof or this will re-occur.
To be fair, the club can't check that people have read their emails!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Many many fans have been around long before Mr B entered the building. I could fully understand if these tickets had been touted for profit yet they haven’t simply passed between friends and family.
Assume you mean Barber but it could equally mean Bloom. I would suggest the nature of this case would mean Tony Bloom is well aware of the clubs stance and endorses it. But people still think it is all down to PB.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But the tickets were sold to patrons the club has a relationship with.

You can't expect the seller of 36,000 tickets to then be responsible for refunds and transfers with less than 24 hours notice.

Sure the club are using a hammer to crack a nut, but fans were gaming the system, less so now.

Hopefully common sense will begin to appear as and when the club decides it no longer needs such a big hammer.

Oh another glorious example of 'bad news = Barber'.

Last edited:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I genuinely think if I went through this exact situation then I would be done with the Albion. I don’t see how I could come back after that. It would be non-league football all the way for me. It’s absolutely appalling from the club, especially when there are touts regularly making thousand of pounds out of Brighton tickets. If this was Germany we’d be boycotting games.
Exactly this.
It happened to a nephew of mine who bought a ticket in an uncles name and then couldn’t go, so passed the ticket onto someone else. The uncle got the ban despite the nephew wanting to take full responsibility.
Both were at the City semi final. Neither at the United one as neither of them go much now.
I almost stopped going in the midst of it, too, despite not being directly involved.
The club treat us appallingly and expect us to be grateful.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don’t expect the club to be responsible for refunds and transfers at such short notice agreed.

Sometimes life gets in the way. I always buy a ticket with the intention of going to the match, exactly the same as when buying a ticket for a concert or theatre.

If I can’t attend the Steps reunion concert due to a late issue arising having bought a ticket in the presale as have been a member of the fan club for years, I’d be livid if they ban me from the next ten gigs if I gave it to another fan.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I can’t attend the Steps reunion concert due to a late issue arising having bought a ticket in the presale as have been a member of the fan club for years, I’d be livid if they ban me from the next ten gigs if I gave it to another fan.
But isn't the problem it's not your ticket to give to another fan?
You've rented it from Rachel and she's explicitly told you - no sublets.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Exactly this.
It happened to a nephew of mine who bought a ticket in an uncles name and then couldn’t go, so passed the ticket onto someone else. The uncle got the ban despite the nephew wanting to take full responsibility.
Both were at the City semi final. Neither at the United one as neither of them go much now.
I almost stopped going in the midst of it, too, despite not being directly involved.
What causes them to go on the odd occasion rather than not at all?

So you still go despite being treated so appallingly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don’t expect the club to be responsible for refunds and transfers at such short notice agreed.
Part of the issue is the vast majority of games use physical tickets. If football got with the times and went fully digital/print at home then transfers and refunds could be undertaken at short notice.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I know others have said this elsewhere, but this whole action from the club and seemingly wanting to ignore the IFO does seem to indicate there would be value in an independent regulator.

When the club are so concerned about one coming in, you would think a tactical withdrawal on this would strengthen the case for a status quo. But sadly someone hasn't looked at the big picture here.
Never Wrong is incapable of such behaviour. Hasn't developed the maturity or emotional intelligence.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Of course people are all over this because there are a huge number of NSC users who want to act as unofficial ticket exchanges. They want to be the ones with the rights to buy the tickets then distribute as they see fit. This kind of closed shop is one that exists at Liverpool and it prevents many fans without the necessary ‘connections’ from buying tickets. In my opinion the club have got this right and that includes their opinion on this ruling.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Exactly this.
Absolutely! You really lose your love for the club when they take the opportunity to kick you. Certain folk love to show they are in charge and need to demonstrate that. Its pathetic but that's built into the make up of some. That's why this site is monitored as much as it is and why care needs to be taken.

It's is no longer our club. But the football I'm witnessing is extraordinarilly good. Best in the near 50 years of supporting by far. They have me by the knackers, the power of which no one ever has over customers - and they are very aware of that!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Of course people are all over this because there are a huge number of NSC users who want to act as unofficial ticket exchanges. They want to be the ones with the rights to buy the tickets then distribute as they see fit. This kind of closed shop is one that exists at Liverpool and it prevents many fans without the necessary ‘connections’ from buying tickets. In my opinion the club have got this right and that includes their opinion on this ruling.
You think an independent ombudsman want to act as a ticket exchange?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
What causes them to go on the odd occasion rather than not at all?

So you still go despite being treated so appallingly.
Are you new to following the Albion? I can see how the new fans the club is trying to attract would turn it in so easily but for those properly invested it is very different.

If we were treated as customers we'd not be having this thread. Unfortunately we're treated like addicts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree with the general principle of Brighton’s ticketing policy, and even the punishment as this seems to have reduced/removed the amount of transfers. But this particular case has a number of flaws.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The club definitely aren't as wrong as so many are making out.

It's quite bizarre to have posters write:-

'my relation broke the rules.
Here's how they did it.
This is the previously well documented penalty.
I can't believe this is the penalty we received'.

To then have their self pity validated by the Barberout crowd.

The punishment does seem harsh, esp for a first time offence (when the football is this good) so hopefully the club will be able to stand down, once it feels the harvesters have finally got the message and the system is fairer for all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here