Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Independent Football Ombudsman rules on Albion fan ban and loyalty points deduction

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The club do not agree with the IFO findings and, it seems, will not be issuing an apology...

Appalling.
We all know they’ve got this policy / witch hunt wrong but they continue to be pig headed about it.
Sort out a system for returns or swaps or drop the stupid persecution of your own supporters. Unbelievably stupid behaviour from an otherwise well run business.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
How to take the gloss off a fantastic season to date...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Reading the IFO report properly instead of skimming, the facts of this case seem to be...

1. Fan A buys a ticket in Fan B's name. Fan B is completely unaware because the club's Friends and Family ticketing function permits this activity but, crucially, does not notify Fan B of the transaction at any time.

2. Fan A gives the ticket to Fan C.

3. The club finds out Fan C is using the ticket via an ID check

4. The club sanctions Fan B, even though the club's fan charter does not actually cover this scenario in any way at all? The club's charter covers someone buying a ticket (Fan B didn't) and sharing it with someone else (Fan B didn't).

Has anyone else read it from top to bottom? It feels like I'm missing a detail as I don't see how Fan B can be sanctioned if I understand it all correctly.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Reading the IFO report properly instead of skimming, the facts of this case seem to be...

1. Fan A buys a ticket in Fan B's name. Fan B is completely unaware because the club's Friends and Family ticketing function permits this activity but, crucially, does not notify Fan B of the transaction at any time.

4. The club sanctions Fan B, even though the club's fan charter does not actually cover this scenario in any way at all? The club's charter covers someone buying a ticket (Fan B didn't) and sharing it with someone else (Fan B didn't).

Has anyone else read it from top to bottom? It feels like I'm missing a detail as I don't see how Fan B can be sanctioned if I understand it all correctly.
The very worst part of it is that the steward who carried out the ID check let Fan C and Fan A attend the game, and then reported them afterwards. If they had just rejected them on the basis of the ID check, none of this would have happened.

Being cynical, it's almost as if the club wanted to catch them out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The very worst part of it is that the steward who carried out the ID check let Fan C and Fan A attend the game, and then reported them afterwards. If they had just rejected them on the basis of the ID check, none of this would have happened.

Being cynical, it's almost as if the club wanted to catch them out.
In fairness, given they'd travelled all the way to the game, letting them in does feel like the kind thing to do. I assume the ID check would have triggered the sanction anyway.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
In fairness, given they'd travelled all the way to the game, letting them in does feel like the kind thing to do. I assume the ID check would have triggered the sanction anyway.
Is it? I may have misread it, but surely if they realise that someone is trying to get in with a ticket under a different name, they should be rejected on the gate, but no sanction applied. As the son said, if they'd realised it would have given their parent a ban then they wouldn't have entered.

Of course, the steward may not have realised that a sanction would be applied following the ID check.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013

I have read the whole thing and you haven't missed anything as far as I can tell. Which is presumably why the IFO has told the club to revoke the ban, loyalty points and issue an apology. Which they have predictably not done because they are never wrong about anything.

And that is before you get to the bit about the second hearing, which sounds more like an interrogation carried out by four club employees, no witnesses or minutes taken. The club basically acted as judge, jury and executioner to mark their own homework.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

You've summed it up correctly. I think there is some complexity because Fan A is a minor.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Club response appears to indicate that we are
Criminals first
Inconveniences second
Customers third
Fans last
And stakeholders with a lifelong interest in the club probably below that.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Club response appears to indicate that we are
Criminals first
Inconveniences second
Customers third
Fans last
Given they have now named the individual on their website, i suspect criminals 1st may end up defining the club in the eyes of any data protection body.

Sometimes, just sometimes a tactical apology is so much better than wanting to be right on everything

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Appalling.
We all know they’ve got this policy / witch hunt wrong but they continue to be pig headed about it.
Sort out a system for returns or swaps or drop the stupid persecution of your own supporters. Unbelievably stupid behaviour from an otherwise well run business.
Pig headed does as pig headed is. Shame but its always been so.

No choice but to reluctantly accept and understand that is how the club are now.

Price of success? Have to say I'm loving the on pitch stuff

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Given they have now named the individual on their website, i suspect criminals 1st may end up defining the club in the eyes of any data protection body.

Sometimes, just sometimes a tactical apology is so much better than wanting to be right on everything
But certain folk are pathologically unable to accept when they are wrong.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Pig headed does as pig headed is. Shame but its always been so.

No choice but to reluctantly accept and understand that is how the club are now.

Price of success? Have to say I'm loving the on pitch stuff
Why accept it though?

It's a brilliant football club in so many ways on and off the pitch. But why can't it be brilliant in the way it deals with this sort of thing as well? As opposed to the opposite.

Reactions: abc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here