Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Independence for Scotland?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I dont mind the Welsh so much, they know which side their butter is on.

but I'm afraid they mind us though,mind you it seems they might have woken from the dream of going it alone and this will make some of them even more abhorrent than they already are.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
What would we CALL what remains of the UK?

The monarchy would still be united - as it was from 1603 to 1707 - but I doubt if calling the nation the 'United Kingdom' would work any longer. And the Welsh and Ulstermen wouldn't tolerate the nation being called 'England'. 'Great Britain' is obviously ruled out as well since the island of GB includes Scotland.

Any ideas, anyone?

A little bitty bit of Britain.

Say it. You'll like it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Independence for Scotland ? Well at least it would put an end to Celtic and Rangers hopes of joining the Premier League. Seriously though I wonder how they will fund all these great ideas they have ? Don't think too many English people would be too upset although it would only be a matter of time before Wales wanted it's independence too, no tragedy there.

Would this be the same Mr Salmond who had aspirations that Scotland would become one of the "Celtic Tiger" economies - like the ROI and Iceland? I fear that he can't see beyond his desire to be the first President of Scotland.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
The political commentators last night were saying the latest polls suggested that the Scots were against independence currently.

Well against it. The main thing going for the SNP is that they would be able to provide a strong, united yes campaign, where as a no campaign would seemingly lack strong leadership in the Scottish Parliament. Nonetheless, the Greens are the only other party that might support it, and the unionist mainstream parties would do their hardest to keep the majority on their side.

Some commentators even argued that SNP were helped by their quietening down on the independence issue. As I've already said somewhere, the growth in support for the SNP in the Scottish Parliament does not translate to a surge in demand for independence.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Well against it. The main thing going for the SNP is that they would be able to provide a strong, united yes campaign, where as a no campaign would seemingly lack strong leadership in the Scottish Parliament. Nonetheless, the Greens are the only other party that might support it, and the unionist mainstream parties would do their hardest to keep the majority on their side.

Some commentators even argued that SNP were helped by their quietening down on the independence issue. As I've already said somewhere, the growth in support for the SNP in the Scottish Parliament does not translate to a surge in demand for independence.

When pushed on why he won't have the referendum sooner rather than later now he has a majority, he basically dodged the question and did that politician thing where you give an answer to a question you werent actually asked! If he lost the referendum that'd be the end of him & he knows it, so he'll milk his hour of glory for as long as possible. His problem now is that he can't hold this Govt to ransom with the threat of a referendum as they don't care that much, whereas Labour do, so if he can he'll delay it until after the next general election and pray that Labour get back in.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Give them their independence. Once they have it don't give them a penny of the English tax payers money.

Its Scottish oil revenue that funded Thatcher throwing millions on the dole queue in the Eighties. You should get down on your knees and pray to the North five times a day for that.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Seems like a lot of people want our country split in two. Dear oh dear.

There is also no basis for Scotland to go independent. It is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Would this be the same Mr Salmond who had aspirations that Scotland would become one of the "Celtic Tiger" economies - like the ROI and Iceland? I fear that he can't see beyond his desire to be the first President of Scotland.

I agree on your view of this being Salmonds personal crusade, every Scotsman I have ever spoken (except 1) was against independence, and that did include work in Edinburgh for 9months.

Can't see it happening but if it does can we detach Scotland from England and sail them off into the northern Atlantic never to be seen again or is that politically incorrect?

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
I think that a lot of people who voted for the SNP on Thursday would not necessarily vote for independence. The referendum will not be for several years and Salmond will have to do a lot of work to persuade the majority of Scots to vote for independence. The SNP won on Thuesday because they are committed to Scotland and the Scottish Parliament, whereas the other parties, particularly Scottish Labour clearly have not been. The Scottish Labour campaign was nothing short of disgraceful.

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
Please go it alone you Scottish inbreds. You'd save us English billions and those billions would allow us English tax payers to pay no preceiption fees or university fees. Please f*** off.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Independence for Scotland would let us put the clocks onto Central European Time as the jocks would have their own time zone.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Its Scottish oil revenue that funded Thatcher throwing millions on the dole queue in the Eighties. You should get down on your knees and pray to the North five times a day for that.

This is a commonly propogated myth, I guarantee you , that under international law the oil is in english waters, the sea borders follow the same angle as the land border, its OURS .

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
Why would they need an army? Like the Irish they would benefit from having a well armed rump UK standing between them and all the nasties out there.

If they want to go it alone, let them try. Would like to see them pay for their own army, especially when the North Sea oil runs out. If they go, can we make a channel at the border, and float them a little bit further north ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here