Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inconsistent refereeing...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
premiership refereeing is abysmal
and very inconsistent
Inconsistent with marginal calls maybe, but I don't think it's abysmal at all. It's just that one ref's interpretation of a law will differ from another. Also, we'll see the game being played without hearing what is being said. Sometimes you need to know the context of a player's behaviour in order to decide the level of punishment.

Actually, what annoys me far more than seeing scenarios handled differently in different games is when ex-professionals as well as existing players on the pitch don't actually understand the laws of the game. I'm tired of hearing truisms from thick twats like Andy Townsend saying stuff like "it was accidental" or "he went for the ball" out of context as if they have anything to do with the decision being made.

As for shocking refereeing, I thought the ref was dreadful for Forest v Newcastle. The first sending off was dubious, and the second was never a penalty in a million years, never mind a sending off. Good for us of course, but it ruined the game in truth. And that brings me onto something else that annoys me - when referees do get it blatantly wrong, they NEVER admit it, and nor does the disciplinary panel.

Oh and in response to the OP, I agree that Rojo should have walked.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
It was correct by the ref. The new law is that inside the penalty area the player gets a yellow card if he has made a genuine attempt to play the ball otherwise it is still red. The new law specifically says that it should still be a red if the offence is holding, pulling or pushing. Dummett was penalised for pushing, he denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity and so red was correct.

Fair enough, didn't appreciate the subtlety in the rule. I think if we were on the end of that decision we would be pretty annoyed. Newcastle suggesting they will appeal, but I can't see how if the ref saw it as a push.

Thanks for clearing up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here