Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Incoming ECB chairman Colin Graves goes to bat for four-day Tests

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
For crowds (not corporate), Friday to Monday would be best.

The current Sunday to Wednesday was not popular with the commercial department, as day one was always one of the better days for selling corporate hospitality and that will not happen on a Sunday.

Totally agree. I'd much prefer Friday-Monday, particularly once the football season has ended. I am surprised anyone thought starting on a sunday was a good idea, it seems illogical to me, but then that is the ECB all over. They seem to be happy to get the four day game out of the way to make way for the friday night and midweek T20 bunfights.

Jul 7, 2003
Can't remember the last time I watched a match at the County Ground as I gave up my Sussex membership many years ago now. When working a traditional 5 day week, there just wasn't enough weekend cricket to justify the cost and once many of the one day games switched to midweek evenings it got worse.

If you don't live locally or near a station getting to games is either difficult or expensive with the parking restrictions in Hove so I just gave up and tend to get my fix from the odd trip to Arundel and Horsham each year.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Rubbish! They'd been around about as long as cricket itself!
I don't think that's right. I don't think declarations became part of cricket until 1890. Not as late as 1957 I'll grant you, but it is another example of people tinkering with the format of the game to try and make it better.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think the main problem with four day tests is the start and finish time each day. Getting to Lords/The Oval/Rose Bowl by 11:00 is hard enough, but at 10:30 you will definitely need to catch commuter trains. Raising the cost (doubling?) of your ticket for what is already a very expensive day out. Then factor in a 7:00 or 7:30 finish once the days play is over. That is an extremely long day* out for most people.

*Regular away day attendees will probably laugh in the face of a day this short admittedly.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the main problem with four day tests is the start and finish time each day. Getting to Lords/The Oval/Rose Bowl by 11:00 is hard enough, but at 10:30 you will definitely need to catch commuter trains. Raising the cost (doubling?) of your ticket for what is already a very expensive day out. Then factor in a 7:00 or 7:30 finish once the days play is over. That is an extremely long day* out for most people.

*Regular away day attendees will probably laugh in the face of a day this short admittedly.

He's just talking gaining 1 hr (given over rate should be min 15 per hour). If it were to happen presumably the ICC would have to get a bit more draconian about enforcing that rate, therefore a 105 over day should be 10.30 to 18.30.

420 over test match v 450 over test match - given few go into the final session of the 5th day, the actual length of the game shouldn't be an issue.

Good point about commuting costs, although are off peak fares arriving into London after 9am, therefore still applicable for a 10.30start for most?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
He's just talking gaining 1 hr (given over rate should be min 15 per hour). If it were to happen presumably the ICC would have to get a bit more draconian about enforcing that rate, therefore a 105 over day should be 10.30 to 18.30.

420 over test match v 450 over test match - given few go into the final session of the 5th day, the actual length of the game shouldn't be an issue.

Good point about commuting costs, although are off peak fares arriving into London after 9am, therefore still applicable for a 10.30start for most?

Nope, peak fares leaving after 9:30 Brighton to London. Earliest arrival 10:55 according to Southern website. They will not finish at 18:30 either, most days play finish nearer 19:00 than 18:00 already. Unless we believe the ICC will finally do something about over rates :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nope, peak fares leaving after 9:30 Brighton to London. Earliest arrival 10:55 according to Southern website. They will not finish at 18:30 either, most days play finish nearer 19:00 than 18:00 already. Unless we believe the ICC will finally do something about over rates :lolol:

Well, nerd that I am you can actually get the 09.19 off peak, arriving at 10.13 Victoria. Get off at Baker St. jog on the hill, nicely in the turnstile queue at 10.30 ready to wait 45mins while everyone's bags are checked! :lolol:

Regardless of this plan, they do need to start in match penalties for slow over rates. Captains just want to win the match they're in, they're not thinking of a fine or suspension that might come later. Start taking chunks of 10 runs off the current match scorecard and they might start getting their fields set quicker and their bowlers getting their act together.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Regardless of this plan, they do need to start in match penalties for slow over rates. Captains just want to win the match they're in, they're not thinking of a fine or suspension that might come later. Start taking chunks of 10 runs off the current match scorecard and they might start getting their fields set quicker and their bowlers getting their act together.

Agreed, think this would be a better thing to sort out than four day tests. In this country where test cricket is still thriving, we should leave test cricket as is. In the rest of the world (bar Australia), go ahead try some stuff, day-night tests, four day tests, whatever, it is worth a try.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I've often thought that. In much the same way as a tardy incoming batsman can be given out 'timed out' perhaps they could bring in the equivalent of the 'shot clock' in basketball. Fielding teams are only allowed x seconds between balls and y seconds between overs for field changes or else the batting side are awarded extras. The batsmen can do their chatting and gardening during this time - but if they're not ready when the timer expires the bowler can bowl anyway.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I've often thought that. In much the same way as a tardy incoming batsman can be given out 'timed out' perhaps they could bring in the equivalent of the 'shot clock' in basketball. Fielding teams are only allowed x seconds between balls and y seconds between overs for field changes or else the batting side are awarded extras. The batsmen can do their chatting and gardening during this time - but if they're not ready when the timer expires the bowler can bowl anyway.

Good idea. Four minutes per over is hardly rushing things.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

What happens if the batsman is struck off the last ball of the over and needs treatment? Or the ball goes out of shape and needs to be changed?

The first example is particularly problematical because an injury means a ball is dead: but if the ball is dead, the over is officially, well, over.

I think it's a neat idea though: it just needs a few tweaks

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What happens if the batsman is struck off the last ball of the over and needs treatment? Or the ball goes out of shape and needs to be changed?

The first example is particularly problematical because an injury means a ball is dead: but if the ball is dead, the over is officially, well, over.

I think it's a neat idea though: it just needs a few tweaks
Oh yeah, there would have to be some sort of override, probably a new official as well, the 'timekeeper' (like they have in rugby) to sit in with the video ref. Umpires could call or signal 'time off' when the clock needs to be stopped.

I'm not pretending I've got all the answers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here