Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] “Incident” in Swansea City club shop

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho

Heart and Soul

Jul 7, 2023
Thoughts:

Swansea can do as they please and 99.9% of all the customers will do as they're told and pay with card.
Once every six months, some rowdy bloke is going to turn up and pay with cash despite it not being allowed.
None of these things are going to have any impact on anything really... bit of a non-story tbh.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I wonder if he does the same in other card only places. Card only has huge benefits to the retailer - security, banking - and it helps to ensure they pay the right taxes.

Bloke needs a day out of Wales

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm on the side of paying with real money, not that I've got any spare!
I remember going into a fishing tackle shop in some cornish village, the owner wouldn't accept card payments. Since that day, probably 20 odd years ago, I've always carried card and cash. My point is, there should be a choice

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wonder what would 'of' happened if the guy had just slapped the correct money down on the counter and walked out with the goods?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
That's a very nasty vest.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Dickhead.... with a bad credit rating?!

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm on the side of paying with real money, not that I've got any spare!
I remember going into a fishing tackle shop in some cornish village, the owner wouldn't accept card payments. Since that day, probably 20 odd years ago, I've always carried card and cash. My point is, there should be a choice
This - My father in law lives about a mile from the Swansea stadium, it's not unlikely that we would by his grandchildren stuff from the club shop, he has never used his debit card, wouldn't know how, wouldn't have it with him. Makes me really sad to think of how humiliating it may be for someone to want to buy something and be denied.
Wonder what would 'of' happened if the guy had just slapped the correct money down on the counter and walked out with the goods?
The club wouldn't have a leg to stand on! You can't steal something if you've paid for it.
Thoughts:

Swansea can do as they please and 99.9% of all the customers will do as they're told and pay with card.
Once every six months, some rowdy bloke is going to turn up and pay with cash despite it not being allowed.
None of these things are going to have any impact on anything really... bit of a non-story tbh.
Yes but there will be 'customers' (really??) who can't and therefore won't spend their money at the club, sad.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I do wonder why he doesn't choose a retailer with a couple of burly security guards to demonstrate his 'right' to pay by cash.

Maybe he couldn't find one and really isn't the t**t and coward he consequently appears :wink:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Isn't that exactly what he did? That's certainly the impression the video on the link gave and hence the quote from a Swansea spokesperson of " leaving the premises without paying via the correct procedure."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Isn't that exactly what he did? That's certainly the impression the video on the link gave and hence the quote from a Swansea spokesperson of " leaving the premises without paying via the correct procedure."
Ah, I think you may well be right. My bad. If that's the whole vid, not much evidence of staff being abused tho. Guy just wanted to make his point. Which he did. In no uncertain terms :lol:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Entitled prick thinks the world should dance to his tune and takes it out on the innocent when it doesn’t

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I`m over 65 and it is my age group and older who don`t like cards.
I go to the cashpoint every week , am loathe to use debit or credit card as I know I would spend more than I can afford. To easy to use card imo.
However cashless Stadium does save me money as don`t now normally have a Beer at halftime.
I went to Cote year or two back , no one told us before we sat down and had meal, but when bill came and girl bought card machine and I said you wont need that I pay cash. She said we don`t take cash. Oh dear I had no card !! Could surely have left money and left ?? I was supposed to be treating friend..... However he ended up treating me with his debit card !!
However agree video of bloke is stupid. I would never knowingly buy something where I knew they wouldn`t take cash.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Ah, I think you may well be right. My bad. If that's the whole vid, not much evidence of staff being abused tho. Guy just wanted to make his point. Which he did. In no uncertain terms :lol:
Guy comes across as a bit of a cockwomble but certainly no abuse evident in that video, although he's probably got himself a bit of a ban from Swansea games.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I`m over 65 and it is my age group and older who don`t like cards.
I go to the cashpoint every week , am loathe to use debit or credit card as I know I would spend more than I can afford. To easy to use card imo.
However cashless Stadium does save me money as don`t now normally have a Beer at halftime.
I went to Cote year or two back , no one told us before we sat down and had meal, but when bill came and girl bought card machine and I said you wont need that I pay cash. She said we don`t take cash. Oh dear I had no card !! Could surely have left money and left ?? I was supposed to be treating friend..... However he ended up treating me with his debit card !!
However agree video of bloke is stupid. I would never knowingly buy something where I knew they wouldn`t take cash.
A pre-paid card might be of use to you, even if it's just for emergencies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here