Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Incident In Glasgow

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can't edit my post anymore, but if you want to edit that in to it to stop a slew of 'actually...' posts I'd be ok with it.

You were quoting information believed to be correct at the time so I don't see the need for an edit. This may have a bit to play out anyway.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Stated by the authorities. I wouldn't decide such a thing based on media reports.

Just seen it now on the BBC, thanks. It’s almost like the media love a good terror attack and can’t wait to report on anything which has the slightest of characteristics of an atrocity.

If someone had stabbed a handful of people in the stairwell of a tower block in some deprived, Glaswegian suburb we wouldn’t have even heard about this.

I’m not making light of the loss of life. It’s tragic when people die before their time. However the last three months has really opened my eyes as to how the media like to paint the world as some depressing dystopia in the race for eyeballs on their content. Don’t get me wrong - much about 2020 has been saddening and depressing, but you have to report the good with the bad. And there has been some good - they just don’t seem to want to let us know.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why not , most of them shouldn't be here anyway and need to be dealt with far quicker rather than spending months clogging up the system
regards
DF

The above poster has been banned from accessing this thread.

This will be a preferred approach taken when some seek to derail threads that should, at the very least, be given a chance to remain on the main board for sensible discussion. Those who repeatedly do this will find themselves removed from the entire site for increasingly longer periods of time, until a permanent ban is the only action left for us to take.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why not , most of them shouldn't be here anyway and need to be dealt with far quicker rather than spending months clogging up the system
regards
DF

Fairy is here mods.

Bear pit !

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

This will be a preferred approach taken when some seek to derail threads that should, at the very least, be given a chance to remain on the main board for sensible discussion. Those who repeatedly do this will find themselves removed from the entire site for increasingly longer periods of time, until a permanent ban is the only action left for us to take.

That is excellent, well done.

This thread has been incredibly refreshing in it's approach to a tragic event. I don't know if it is because the 'Bear Pit' exists, but it has been nice to see people commenting sensibly with little evidence of the usual racist binfestafry.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Although the poster in question should have been jettisoned from the board sometime ago - this is a good move

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Legit news story. Perfectly legit for it to be discussed on here - only needs to be moved if too man pillocks try to twist a horrible event to their own twisted agenda - whichever way that agenda lies.

Good news (relatively) - it appears that the police prevented any innocent deaths.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Don't know what to make of this. My wife, son and I had a random stay at the hotel in question last August when we had to pay an emergency visit to the passport office up there. The lobby area on the ground floor isn't particularly big; it really didn't strike me as an obvious target for a terror attack.

Whatever's gone on, it sounds pretty serious. RIP.

I was chatting to my mate in Glasgow earlier, and he mentioned the hotel in question has been used to house asylum seekers.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I am not trying to push this into the Bear Pit.... but media this morning are saying the attacker was an asylum seeker , unhappy with the conditions in which he was kept.
I would have thought it must have been better than where he came from.....surely.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Amazing isn’t it, three people die and it’s major news 150 odd died of covid today and we just raise an eyebrow.

As one of the people interviewed on Bournemouth beach the other day said: "Well I don't know anyone who's had Covid. It's not a problem any more, is it." (Deliberately no question mark there. It was a statement rather than a question.)

But he was an idiot. We are daily horrified in this household at the number of people dying every day, and our view of the Government's cavalier attitude towards it all, which doesn't encourage the idiots to take it seriously.

That is a daily horror. The Glasgow event is a different type of horror.

But basically, I know what you mean.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I am not trying to push this into the Bear Pit.... but media this morning are saying the attacker was an asylum seeker , unhappy with the conditions in which he was kept.
I would have thought it must have been better than where he came from.....surely.

I don't think that's a statement that'll send this into the pit. In normal times you would think it would be perfectly correct. But lockdown is having a strange effect on everyone. We've seen iillegal street and beach parties, some ending in violence and other domestic incidents. It's perfectly possible he wasn't comparing his old life in his thought process - he was just fed up with his new one. As a comparison, if I could live anywhere in the world right now, it would be New Zealand, I wouldn't have said that six months ago.

This has been repeated quite a few times on the covid threads. We have to start comparing the lives that are being saved by lockdown and social distancing with those that will be lost to poor mental health, increased drinking and incidents caused by cabin fever and frustration.

I guess, though, as this guy is currently the only person involved to die, we might never know.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

We can't try to rationalise what is clearly extremely irrational behaviour.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Mostly good reviews on Tripadvisor although rather noisy at night due to location and in room wifi speeds could be better .

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...gow_City_Centre-Glasgow_Scotland.html#REVIEWS

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

We're talking about a murderer, rational decision making isn't likely

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Amazing isn’t it, three people die and it’s major news 150 odd died of covid today and we just raise an eyebrow.

It feels somewhat glib to quote a movie, particularly one that isn't obviously profound or deep, but sometimes movies, even the most popcorn-ish of movies, can have lines or passages that speak to the human condition.

"You know what I've noticed? Nobody panics when things go "according to plan." Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan". But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds!" The Joker (The Dark Knight)​

In a pandemic, people dying is 'part of the plan' - it's what we expect to happen. A stabbing in a hotel in an area not known for such violence isn't

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It feels somewhat glib to quote a movie, particularly one that isn't obviously profound or deep, but sometimes movies, even the most popcorn-ish of movies, can have lines or passages that speak to the human condition.

"You know what I've noticed? Nobody panics when things go "according to plan." Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan". But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds!" The Joker (The Dark Knight)​

In a pandemic, people dying is 'part of the plan' - it's what we expect to happen. A stabbing in a hotel in an area not known for such violence isn't

Nicely put ...it’s a bit like a car bomb goes off in say Kabul....massive number of casualties...barely get a mention if at all....its “oh that type of thing happens there”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here