Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In the world of football, what makes you CRINGE?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I watched the nawrich / west borm highlights and when the baggies scored the home fans let off a ear piercing round of clackers being clacked. It was nausating and i felt embarrased for them , how could that encourage the players ? So for me its the clackers !!!!!!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I watched the nawrich / west borm highlights and when the baggies scored the home fans let off a ear piercing round of clackers being clacked. It was nausating and i felt embarrased for them , how could that encourage the players ? So for me its the clackers !!!!!!!

I can't understand any club plumbing the depths of giving their fans clackers.....

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
the crazy mindset and loss of any and all perspective that some people have that a result is to them almost more important than actual life. Absolutely cringe worthy to see grown men crying at a loss, or worshiping players in terms that ought to be better said to their partners as at least partners (mainly) do care and might appreciate. End of the day it is just a game, to be enjoyed hugely when it takes place but how it can ever become the one and only enjoyment in life, as it appears to be on occasions, is frankly embarrassing.

People who say it is just a game.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Stephen Gerard in an England shirt.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
"He's clipped his heels there" - after a player literally brushes an opponent's ankle who then spectacularly throws himself to the ground, grabbing the ball the ball on the way, even before the whistle has gone :annoyed:

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Not only does this make me cringe but it makes me vomit also

images (15).jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Grown men throwing themselves on the ground, head back, heels up as high as their waist, when someone has barely brushed past them.

Rolling around in agony, before being instantly revived when a card is shown to an opposing player.

TV pundits talking about "contact" as if that's an automatic foul. I fell in love with football as a "contact sport" and I don't remember the announcement that said it no longer is.

Players appealing for a throw-in when they know perfectly well it came off them.

Players trying to steal 1cm at corners by carefully placing it a fraction outside the arc. Why?

Managers acting like spoilt kids in the playground when they are actually the senior public face of a multi-million pound global enterprise. "Yeah, I kids the water bottles everywhere, but you must understand I was upset by the decision." Oh didums, did the nasty man give a free kick to the other team? You are the manager, act like it!

The fans making endless excuses for their players actions, merely because they are players for their clubs. Liverpool fans, accept what sort of a person Suarez is, and likewise Chelsea with JT.

I'm sure there are more, I'm old school, and modern poncy stuff does tend to make me cringe. When I stop to think about it, I always end up at the same place ... what has happened to the game I fell in love with?

Very well put. I've realised I have not bothered watching match of the day for 3 weeks now and I have never done that before. Or maybe it's because Palace have been doing well.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Grown men throwing themselves on the ground, head back, heels up as high as their waist, when someone has barely brushed past them.

Rolling around in agony, before being instantly revived when a card is shown to an opposing player.

TV pundits talking about "contact" as if that's an automatic foul. I fell in love with football as a "contact sport" and I don't remember the announcement that said it no longer is.

Players appealing for a throw-in when they know perfectly well it came off them.

Players trying to steal 1cm at corners by carefully placing it a fraction outside the arc. Why?

Managers acting like spoilt kids in the playground when they are actually the senior public face of a multi-million pound global enterprise. "Yeah, I kids the water bottles everywhere, but you must understand I was upset by the decision." Oh didums, did the nasty man give a free kick to the other team? You are the manager, act like it!

The fans making endless excuses for their players actions, merely because they are players for their clubs. Liverpool fans, accept what sort of a person Suarez is, and likewise Chelsea with JT.

I'm sure there are more, I'm old school, and modern poncy stuff does tend to make me cringe. When I stop to think about it, I always end up at the same place ... what has happened to the game I fell in love with?

All of THIS

And I'd also like to point out the cringeworthy Arsenal stadium announcer going through all of their squad by first name only (not sure if this still happens)

Drimble Wedge

Apr 20, 2013
Seven Dials
The prevalence of 'jobs for the boys' at both the bbc and sky in particular, and so having to suffer the tediously repetitive & stating the bleeding obvious contributions from 'Big Al', 'Savvo, Merse, et al... (praise be that at least Hansens' being shown the door).

Oh yes, and Sepp Blatter.

Leas

Dec 3, 2011
the term often used when a team is in the relegation zone " its going to be a tough game as there going to be fighting for there lives " nope if they were fighting for there lives all season every game they wouldnt be in that position !

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Plastic clackers.

Oh group huddles before kick off several teams have done this against us at the half way point this season and it's ridiculous if your not fired up after you leave the dressing room than **** OFF. The other team should kick off and get on with it.

Oh and fans chanting about going up when they have an half chance of making the playoffs at the mid way point of the season.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Keepers "fist bumping" with defenders when one or the other of them has done their job and kept the ball out of the goal.

Oh group huddles before kick off several teams have done this against us at the half way point this season and it's ridiculous if your not fired up after you leave the dressing room than **** OFF.

And, for the first time against Barnsley we did it.

Cringe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here