Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] In Search Of Hartington Road Halt

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Very interesting since I live on Hartington Road, and we go to the patch a fair amount, So basically there is a tunnel at the top end of the patch somewhere that runs under Elm Grove School and then in which direction did that tunnel go ? muesli mountain and kemp town or Queens park kemp town ?

Were the tunnels filled in ? could houses collapse ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Very interesting since I live on Hartington Road, and we go to the patch a fair amount, So basically there is a tunnel at the top end of the patch somewhere that runs under Elm Grove School and then in which direction did that tunnel go ? muesli mountain and kemp town or Queens park kemp town ?

image.jpeg

From the link on post #13.
I'm sure the tunnel isn't filled in, the Kemp Town end of the tunnel is still there in the corner of Freshfield Industrial Estate.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Just wow ! I know of the 1971 final service, but that trumps it.

Do you know of any links to photos of the 1971 final service?
If this was the day when the public could travel from Brighton to Kemp Town station. I went on this day with my father who was a train driver, as I was a child I don't remember much about the day.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If this was the day when the public could travel from Brighton to Kemp Town station. I went on this day with my father who was a train driver, as I was a child I don't remember much about the day.

There is film of it but I dunno how you view it online, see http://screenarchive.brighton.ac.uk/detail/4368/

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

It basically goes up the hill under what is currently Carlyle Street, and I think the site where The Hanover currently is was a stop.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

They're not filled in, just blocked at each end.

The chalk bedrock isn't prone to movement at all, you're all fine!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Oh, I am not worried, just wonder how long it will be before we need them tunnels again.....

Powers-that-be were (seriously) talking about using them as designated bomb shelters during the Cold War era. Which I never knew before dipping me toe into a bit of research on behalf of this thread last night. Fascinating stuff. Endlessly fascinating place.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

The tunnel was used as a rifle range at one time, as well as being used to grow mushrooms!

http://kemp-town-railway.yolasite.com/photos-from-a-private-collection.php

Just clicked on this link - thanks [MENTION=2603]Chickenrunner[/MENTION]

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

There are quite a few online. There is also a book about the line in the library. Pictures in there also. Everything.... except the mythical halt (just an artist impression).

I honestly would think I was dreaming it had it not clearly been marked on an OS map of the time.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I have never heard of a Hartington road halt, but there was a lewes road halt, a small station that a train would only stop at if requested by a passenger, the location of the lewes road halt was on the now industrial estate of holingdean Road, with foot access from the bottom of princess road,, this location is a just over the other side of the now demolished lewes road viaduct which led into the Hartington road tunnel and on to the Kemptown station closed in early 70s,,, you may be interested in joining " brighton past" face book page, there are some very knowledgable local historians and researchers on there!!

I've been in that page for a few years. A nice example of enjoyable social media. We put stuff out a few years ago about Hartington Road. Nothing new. I think I infected a few with my obsession.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There are quite a few online. There is also a book about the line in the library. Pictures in there also. Everything.... except the mythical halt (just an artist impression).

I honestly would think I was dreaming it had it not clearly been marked on an OS map of the time.

Thank you.
Interesting thread about the Kemp Town line, I know there have been similar threads on here but I can't remember seeing some of the websites that have been posted today.

The book you mention, is this the one by Peter Harding that Tom Hark PP has posted about on this thread? ( post #13 )

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thank you.
Interesting thread about the Kemp Town line, I know there have been similar threads on here but I can't remember seeing some of the websites that have been posted today.

The book you mention, is this the one by Peter Harding that Tom Hark PP has posted about on this thread? ( post #13 )

Yes. I'm pretty sure of that. There are last day snaps in iit too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here