Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In praise of the exquisite Dunk long pass to Bruno

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm sure I remember a heart-stopping pinpointer from Greer to an overlapping Wayne Bridge near the south east corner flag. Rare but wonderful.

Think that was the ball that set Bridge free to set up Orlandi in the cup v Newcastle.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Dunk-Bruno pass is a staple feature at the Amex.

Yup, this. It's a much under-appreciated skill, Bruno's ability to deal with passes fired out to the touchline at him from all angles and with varying degrees of power, while all the while not being affected by coming under serious pressure from an onrushing opposite number defender who is often not much fussed whether he gets the ball or the man. Takes some balls and is indeed a joy to watch.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yup, this. It's a much under-appreciated skill, Bruno's ability to deal with passes fired out to the touchline at him from all angles and with varying degrees of power, while all the while not being affected by coming under serious pressure from an onrushing opposite number defender who is often not much fussed whether he gets the ball or the man. Takes some balls and is indeed a joy to watch.

Bruno is wonderful at trapping the ball. He is so skillful.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If that was the case it was certainly a very lucky strike as it landed directly on AK foot in his stride without stopping or changing pace.

I'm going with you in that I think it was a good pass..Bongs out of favour it would seem ..anyone else and they would be getting credit

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bing did excellently to clear the ball the way he did on his weaker foot - whether he meant it or not as a pass (I don't think he did personally). I don't think it's comparible to Dunk's 50 yard belters. Think there was 3 vs Hudds that were stunning.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bing did excellently to clear the ball the way he did on his weaker foot - whether he meant it or not as a pass (I don't think he did personally). I don't think it's comparible to Dunk's 50 yard belters. Think there was 3 vs Hudds that were stunning.

I'm very sure there was considerably more than 3.
I can guarantee they were all in the first half, as I was eagerly anticipating these passes appearing almost to drop into my lap, to no avail.

The same applies to Barnsley, in the ESL I get to watch the ball fired to Bruno but never see it from Bruno's perspective.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Anyone else a big fan of these? Dunk gets them right almost every time and with Bruno's skill in being able to kill the ball dead it's a joy to watch. Trouble is, Dunk only ever seems to do them in the first half.

Was thinking about this just this very Saturday. His distribution for a central defender is superb. Something the 'Dunk is a liability' idiots fail to take into account.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm going with you in that I think it was a good pass..Bongs out of favour it would seem ..anyone else and they would be getting credit

I could go along with that if i had seen any evidence in the past 18 months that Bong's right foot is used for anyhing other than standing on.....

Not denying he didnt have much improved game Saturday however, all the more annoying that he got himself a ban for petulance again...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Only when Buckley was on the bench.

If by bench you don't mean purely the subs bench, but also the stands while tending his pinged hamstrings, with you on this one. I liked GG and, even more, Upson, but boy the quality of our current four CBs is a thing to behold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here