Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In praise of Fulham, Brentford and, cough, them lot…

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We are the media darlings by comparison, lots of nice comments for past 2 seasons etc.

When you look at the table however, very little separating us from other ‘less fashionable’ clubs. Fulham indeed are doing better this season so far.

Surprised these 3 aren’t getting as many plaudits when there’s hardly anything in it really. Brentford especially have impressed since promotion.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We are the media darlings by comparison, lots of nice comments for past 2 seasons etc.

When you look at the table however, very little separating us from other ‘less fashionable’ clubs. Fulham indeed are doing better this season so far.

Surprised these 3 aren’t getting as many plaudits when there’s hardly anything in it really. Brentford especially have impressed since promotion.
I think it is probably that we are held up as the medium sized club to follow, not just on the field of play but set up. We are often mentioned now as the club to emulate when achieving EPL status. Palace you can discount from that and even Fulham to a lessor extent, Brentfofd though are almost a mini-me. Not surprising considering the chairman's background.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
We get extra kudos for not faltering post-pillage. I’ve noticed how the ‘media’ have started to respect that… MacAllister becoming a WC winner has also increased our profile.

Ivan Toney story is a bit tasteless, can understand why they’re not shining the spotlight on them right now.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
A lot of traditionally "bigger" clubs having a nightmare this season.

Wolves/West Ham/Leicester/Everton massively under-performing.

Will be interesting to see if this season marks a change in the hierarchy or is just an anomaly

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Brentford arguably done better than us in PL since joining. The mindset from majority our fans I recall upon promotion was we couldn’t expect more than 4th from bottom/slowly slowly season by season slight improvements. Brentford and Fulham both showing that actually you can just go for it and don’t have to settle for 17th,16th,15th…ie it’s possible to come up and finish higher immediately.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Would be more than happy to finish 10th. Still pretty tight from 6th to 15th place.
Me too. For all our knocking them lot, and the great season we’re having, they’re actually just behind us and breathing down our necks!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A lot of traditionally "bigger" clubs having a nightmare this season.

Wolves/West Ham/Leicester/Everton massively under-performing.

Will be interesting to see if this season marks a change in the hierarchy or is just an anomaly
I agree but a lot of those clubs live with their tradition and haven't moved on. Take Leicester since their unexpected League win, which was down to the big ones failing more than anything, have hardly developed from then, club wise that is. You hear very little about the club's mentioned in regards to developing new talent.

A lot of clubs, like us, even Palace, have adopted a new ethos which allows us to compete, the other continue to carry on expecting to compete by paying shed loads for second rate players.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I agree but a lot of those clubs live with their tradition and haven't moved on. Take Leicester since their unexpected League win, which was down to the big ones failing more than anything, have hardly developed from then, club wise that is. You hear very little about the club's mentioned in regards to developing new talent.

A lot of clubs, like us, even Palace, have adopted a new ethos which allows us to compete, the other continue to carry on expecting to compete by paying she'd loads for second rate players.
Agree with this

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Brentford arguably done better than us in PL since joining. The mindset from majority our fans I recall upon promotion was we couldn’t expect more than 4th from bottom/slowly slowly season by season slight improvements. Brentford and Fulham both showing that actually you can just go for it and don’t have to settle for 17th,16th,15th…ie it’s possible to come up and finish higher immediately.
Sure... if you have the right kind of players and the right amount of quality to do that. Not always the case.

Personally I also think it is more impressive to stay up year after year rather than doing a Sheffield United.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I know it’s effective but I hate watching Brentford play. Lots of long ball, very physical and reliant on set pieces. They are basically Stoke from a few years ago.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I know it’s effective but I hate watching Brentford play. Lots of long ball, very physical and reliant on set pieces. They are basically Stoke from a few years ago.
Is that really fair? Perhaps a bit snobby?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Think they are a bit more... flair.
Brentford got great wingers/strikers and a bunch of solid+ defenders but they don't really have the midfield to play anything but the "run more and battle harder" football they currently go with. Don't mind it though, they do it with a fair amount of style and flair unlike that old Stoke team.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Perhaps Brentford could loan us one of their quality strikers? They seem to find it very easy to recruit them, even if we struggle to do so.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Fulham have yo-yoed for years so I don’t think their “1st” season up is really comparable to us or Brentford.

Are Brentford a one man team? (A genuine question as I don’t watch enough non Albion football at the moment to know).

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I said on another thread great to see a club doing well without spending a fortune. Brentford have had great recruitment unlike us seem to be in the £5/ £10m range. Both strikers playing tonight were about £6m and Toney was the same.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Fulham have yo-yoed for years so I don’t think their “1st” season up is really comparable to us or Brentford.

Are Brentford a one man team? (A genuine question as I don’t watch enough non Albion football at the moment to know).
You’re right. Fulham in previous seasons finished much higher and even played in Europe. So depends on when you want to draw the line. They’re doing well this season and no mistake despite everyone’s predictions. Good on em I say, be good to see 3 bigger teams go down wouldn’t it?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here