Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In Praise Of Commuting

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
20 odd years Shoreham to either Kings Cross or Warren Street and for one year (a good 20 plus years ago a monster Erdington to Euston).

I do not mind the commuting however as you age it really is far more of an effort and takes it out of you so thankfully technology allows WFH now.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I do not mind the commuting however as you age it really is far more of an effort and takes it out of you so thankfully technology allows WFH now.

THIS. I started my Brighton to Tottenham commute rather late in life (40) and I've been doing it for 9 years now. It was starting to take it's toll, but now I've managed to negotiate WFH every Thursday and Friday. The three days a week I do it now, (when the trains are running ok) are just about enojoyable me-time.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I love my commute to work, I get up, catch my legs (which are normally on time, but increasingly in need of better stock) and it takes 16 minutes to reach the office. There is only one stop-to pick up a couple of bananas and a packet of fags at the corner shop.

That said, I used to enjoy my commute to London. Probably because I was at the Lloyds building, four minutes from London Bridge.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
A 10-min ferry trip across Sydney Harbour from Balmain to Circular Quay for nearly 25 years has now been replaced with a 10-sec walk up a flight of stairs to my top floor office/lounge.
Respect to all who face long daily commutes. Hearing those constant traffic gridlocks & train delays on the radio only makes me more appreciative of my own situation.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I suspect those in praise of commenting either:
Have no responsibilities (I.e. Small children, dogs etc
Or
Have a partner at home to do all that!

I commute and find it hard because it's hard to parent, do school parents evenings, homework, make pack lunches etc. and find it makes such a long day.

Still my choice to work an interesting and better paid job. Thank god for the one day wfh,

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I suspect those in praise of commenting either:
Have no responsibilities (I.e. Small children, dogs etc
Or
Have a partner at home to do all that!

I commute and find it hard because it's hard to parent, do school parents evenings, homework, make pack lunches etc. and find it makes such a long day.

Still my choice to work an interesting and better paid job. Thank god for the one day wfh,

Kids all grown up now but I walk the dogs at 6.00 every morning before hauling the beemer out of the garage.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
With technology the commute is so much better. When I work in London, half a film on the way up, the rest on the way back, or a nap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here