Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ‘In Paraguay the Premier League is the best’: Enciso, Almirón and the clash captivating a country

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nice preview piece of tonight's game covering both Enciso and Almirón...

Julio Enciso admits that he was too nervous to approach Miguel Almirón. It was June 2021, Enciso had received his first call-up to the Paraguay squad and he wanted to arrange a shirt swap with Almirón, the team’s craque.​
“I actually asked the manager at the time, Eduardo Berizzo, if he could ask Miguel for the shirt,” Enciso says. “I was 17 and, as you can understand, I was a bit nervous. It was a very special moment for me – to play for the national team and to meet Miguel like that.”​

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
"Yet for all the buildup in England, there is just as much pride and excitement in Paraguay, the South American country of 6.7 million people, the majority of whom are football fanatics. The Premier League has long been the most watched overseas competition there and now that Enciso has joined Almirón in it, there is even more interest, Brighton shirts coming to be visible on the streets, those of Newcastle already established."

Who'd have ever thought you'd see that written?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So 19 year old Enciso scores his best ever goal (so far) which happens to be in a Premier League v Chelsea on his late grandfather's birthday.

I do hope those grumbling on here about him needing to be a team player and see the game through, check themselves before they next write something twatty.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"Yet for all the buildup in England, there is just as much pride and excitement in Paraguay, the South American country of 6.7 million people, the majority of whom are football fanatics. The Premier League has long been the most watched overseas competition there and now that Enciso has joined Almirón in it, there is even more interest, Brighton shirts coming to be visible on the streets, those of Newcastle already established."

#NoLongerUnderTheRadar

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I went briefly to Paraguay in 2006, just to Ciudad del Este on the border with Brazil. Simon Reeve described it as the most lawless place he had visited. There were shops on the streets openly selling guns, very popular with the drug gangs in Brazil apparently who slip someone on the border a few pesos and take them back into Brazil no questions asked.

I went into an electronics store and I’m not kidding just about everyone serving in there was female, aged about 18 - 25 and all looking like supermodels. Not your average Currys PCWorld.

The queue to get back into Brazil was horrific, and sure enough it involved a small payment to hurry up the process. Getting back into Brazil almost seems like a relief. I can’t comment on whether that was representative of the country as a whole though, border towns do tend to have that edge to them that other places in the country do not. Interesting experience.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Next time l am in downtown Asuncion l will have to look out for them!

But yes l take your point, whol would have thought it indeed.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The queue to get back into Brazil was horrific, and sure enough it involved a small payment to hurry up the process. Getting back into Brazil almost seems like a relief. I can’t comment on whether that was representative of the country as a whole though, border towns do tend to have that edge to them that other places in the country do not. Interesting experience.
Much like Dover really . . . though l don't know how easy it would be to pick up an AK47 there.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Good friends then ? 😂

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Nice preview piece of tonight's game covering both Enciso and Almirón...

Julio Enciso admits that he was too nervous to approach Miguel Almirón. It was June 2021, Enciso had received his first call-up to the Paraguay squad and he wanted to arrange a shirt swap with Almirón, the team’s craque.​
“I actually asked the manager at the time, Eduardo Berizzo, if he could ask Miguel for the shirt,” Enciso says. “I was 17 and, as you can understand, I was a bit nervous. It was a very special moment for me – to play for the national team and to meet Miguel like that.”​
the shirt swap emotions aged well

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Enciso has just posted this on social media:-

Enciso.jpg

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I went briefly to Paraguay in 2006, just to Ciudad del Este on the border with Brazil. Simon Reeve described it as the most lawless place he had visited. There were shops on the streets openly selling guns, very popular with the drug gangs in Brazil apparently who slip someone on the border a few pesos and take them back into Brazil no questions asked.

I went into an electronics store and I’m not kidding just about everyone serving in there was female, aged about 18 - 25 and all looking like supermodels. Not your average Currys PCWorld.

I spent a week there in 2008. I certainly didn’t see the supermodels you describe although their women were a step up on anything Peru and Bolivia had to offer.

As a country though, it was one of the most dour, boring, uneventful places I’ve ever visited. And by far and away the least interesting place in South America that I’ve travelled through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here