Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In hindsight - do we not owe Chelsea and Todd Boehly a debt of gratitude?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Personally, and no offence meant, I think we need to start enjoying things for ourselves. And not couch everything in what has been done to us or what might he done in the future.

Every good performance ends up with a Potter reference and every good player ends up with a 'he'll go for this amount'.

It would be nice to get to a point where we are just happy to be good for ourselves for a bit.
It's the inferiority complex that some of us elder folk have acquired from more than 50 years of supporting a (largely) tier three club.

4faa14d477a55bb176c1e32eacf34048.gif

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No. De Zerbi is good. We were also going like a train under Potter. Stop trying to re-write history - you're not one of that woke lot, are you?
A Connex South East train, though (with regular 'delays' and frequently 'no working toilets').

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In truth, no-one knows. Potter left just as the team was getting going with the 5-2 against Leicester.

Having said that, I'm not sure we would have the same amount of goals. Several players have talked about RDZ's methods and it's clear to see how passionate and driven the guy is.
Yes. He has bigged up March and, guess what? Goals galore.

And he has dug out missfiring Tossard and, guess what? He's flounced, leaving a gap the size of a prune in our performances and mojo.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've always been a lurker and occasional poster on here, but after supporting the stripes for 50+ years, I now feel the need to post!

Had Chelsea and Todd not come in for GP, would we have been happy grinding out a home draw with the mighty Liverpool, playing lovely tippy tappy football (predominantly sideways at the back) with a lack of confidence in the final third and rueing the endless opportunities missed (sound familiar for a team currently struggling?) - I possibly think we would at the beginning of Aug 22.

Now we appear to have an upgrade in the RDZ, scoring goals and ripping decent teams apart and Todd paid us £20m for the privilege. Admittedly we'd already trousered £60m from him for Mr Cucurella (who is hardly tearing up trees at the Bridge, plus (yes plus!) allowing us to take the immense Levi Colwill on loan. If they let us keep him, I'd be astounded, but this is Chelsea we are talking about.

If the football business was regulated from a financial perspective, in hindsight, the authorities might have a compelling case in the above case for fraud!

The icing on the cake will obviously for Todd to pay us multi millions to take Leo off our hands to keep their bench ward (sorry Leo, but this is a cutthroat business and you may have scored your first own goal)

We should all be rightfully proud of what TB and his whole team are currently achieving - everything evolves and maybe Brighton (and some others) are changing the blueprint of running a very successful football club. Just lately it's striking to me that the sum of the parts can be better than a bunch of individuals.

Just stealing something from the LFC forum - a poster eloquently pointed out that LFC have stood still wallowing in their success, with no succession planning or effective recruitment - something that Brighton excel at and that's a major reason why they are struggling. We know that we never stand still, it's part of the overall strategy. At the back end of last season the big 6 were all over Biss, but most of us knew after a couple of games that Moises was way better than Biss at that stage of his career. The job the club did replacing Mr Cucurella with Pervis was inspired, not only from a financial perspective. And the succession planning still looks very exciting.......

Had things not happened the way they did in September, I'm not sure we would be rejoicing like we are now. I bloody love this club!
You wouldn’t have posted this if Swanny hadn’t been on his short holiday 😂😂

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Too early to contemplate this - and easy to say yes on a good run. Ask in a year.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I was very happy to see Potter leave. With respect to the job he did, I felt he was holding the players and squad back. I think he was overtaken by the quality at his disposal and his limited football has been exposed. Chelsea are no more able to score goals playing it than we were. RDZ is a higher calibre manager.

It does make me question why there are no English managers apart from Eddie Howe able to implement an attacking style.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A Connex South East train, though (with regular 'delays' and frequently 'no working toilets').
No, a proper train - speed, power and momentum. 4-0 v. ManU, owning ManU at OT, 5-2 v. Leicester, 4th. in the PL ......................... We're have a good time with RDZ, but we were also having a bloody good time before any of us (with the possible exception of Swansman) had ever even heard of him!

Old age getting to your memory, HWT?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"You can't coach goalscoring"

"It's a long term plan"

"Trust the process"

"We need a striker"

"Often in football you'll only play well for 45 minutes"

:lolol:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've always been a lurker and occasional poster on here, but after supporting the stripes for 50+ years, I now feel the need to post!

Had Chelsea and Todd not come in for GP, would we have been happy grinding out a home draw with the mighty Liverpool, playing lovely tippy tappy football (predominantly sideways at the back) with a lack of confidence in the final third and rueing the endless opportunities missed (sound familiar for a team currently struggling?) - I possibly think we would at the beginning of Aug 22.

Now we appear to have an upgrade in the RDZ, scoring goals and ripping decent teams apart and Todd paid us £20m for the privilege. Admittedly we'd already trousered £60m from him for Mr Cucurella (who is hardly tearing up trees at the Bridge, plus (yes plus!) allowing us to take the immense Levi Colwill on loan. If they let us keep him, I'd be astounded, but this is Chelsea we are talking about.

If the football business was regulated from a financial perspective, in hindsight, the authorities might have a compelling case in the above case for fraud!

The icing on the cake will obviously for Todd to pay us multi millions to take Leo off our hands to keep their bench ward (sorry Leo, but this is a cutthroat business and you may have scored your first own goal)

We should all be rightfully proud of what TB and his whole team are currently achieving - everything evolves and maybe Brighton (and some others) are changing the blueprint of running a very successful football club. Just lately it's striking to me that the sum of the parts can be better than a bunch of individuals.

Just stealing something from the LFC forum - a poster eloquently pointed out that LFC have stood still wallowing in their success, with no succession planning or effective recruitment - something that Brighton excel at and that's a major reason why they are struggling. We know that we never stand still, it's part of the overall strategy. At the back end of last season the big 6 were all over Biss, but most of us knew after a couple of games that Moises was way better than Biss at that stage of his career. The job the club did replacing Mr Cucurella with Pervis was inspired, not only from a financial perspective. And the succession planning still looks very exciting.......

Had things not happened the way they did in September, I'm not sure we would be rejoicing like we are now. I bloody love this club!
Couldn’t agree more. I hope post two, three and four are just as good.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
"You can't coach goalscoring"

"It's a long term plan"

"Trust the process"

"We need a striker"

"Often in football you'll only play well for 45 minutes"

:lolol:
As one of the twats who consistently thought Potter was doing a good job, I resent being lumped in with the bellends who kept going on about how we need to buy a striker.

Agreed. Done us a huge favour. Them taking Potter was a get out of jail free card, with a £20m bonus.

Potter is limited, and was holding this team back. RDZ is clearly levels above Potter.

Credit to Bloom and Barber. They know their shit. They played an absolute blinder, again. Hope the next one is lined up because I can't see us keeping hold of RDZ anywhere near as long as we kept hold of Potter. We'll do well to keep hold of him for the entirity of next sesson.

He's excellent and handled the Trossard saga fantastically. Trossard acting like a spoiled, stroppy teenager.
Think he’ll be here for a little while personally.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was very happy to see Potter leave. With respect to the job he did, I felt he was holding the players and squad back. I think he was overtaken by the quality at his disposal and his limited football has been exposed. Chelsea are no more able to score goals playing it than we were. RDZ is a higher calibre manager.

It does make me question why there are no English managers apart from Eddie Howe able to implement an attacking style.
It's funny how many people thought that but for some reason didn't say it at the time. Well, they say that's what they were thinking, and I'm sure they're all decent types who always tell the truth, the whole and nothing but, etc.

Still strange though .....................................

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That gets to Orpington, doesn't pull off on time and you then hear: 'Could the guard please contact the driver.'

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, a proper train - speed, power and momentum. 4-0 v. ManU, owning ManU at OT, 5-2 v. Leicester, 4th. in the PL ......................... We're have a good time with RDZ, but we were also having a bloody good time before any of us (with the possible exception of Swansman) had ever even heard of him!

Old age getting to your memory, HWT?
I've moved on, old timer.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
In truth, no-one knows. Potter left just as the team was getting going with the 5-2 against Leicester.

Having said that, I'm not sure we would have the same amount of goals. Several players have talked about RDZ's methods and it's clear to see how passionate and driven the guy is.
Some good results early doors although we had a habit of going flat under Potter don’t think we won for 20 games last season

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
GP let the cat out of the bag when he said in one of his now 'becoming too frequent fits of pique' when questioned, that he could have stayed at Brighton for an easy life. So, yes, it was a good thing not to be in the thrall of a manager who was coasting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here