Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In Gus we trust

fairy cakes

Jun 23, 2008
Why did so many people start moaning when we pass the ball along the defence? I dont understand, top of the league so Gus must be doing something right. We also use to complain when we use to hoof it upfield but now we pass the ball we seem to moan that we are not hooffing the ball away.

Lifted from the brighton website.
"Poyet has also called for the Withdean fans to have patience with his side as they build their play up from the defence. He added, "We have played a passing game from our back four and that is the way that we have played to get us to the top of the league, so I want the players to continue playing that way. I just ask for the supporters to have patience with us.

Im pleased the players did not lose their confidence in themselves when the fans were getting frustrated. They didn't go crazy, which is good because we are alawys going to get an opportunity to score.

If the players do start reacting to the crowd, panicking and kicking the ball long they will out of the team becuase that is not the way I want us to play. That is not the style that has got us to the top."

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Must confess i moaned a few times:lolol:
Its good to pass back although i would say it was overpassing at times and not getting anywhere.:thumbsup:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Does my bloody head in, we keep the ball so don't see the problem. Poyet telling the south stand to calm down was just plain embarrassing, he should not need to do this. Lost my rag with some and began to shout at noone in particular, probably came across as a right mental

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I would much rather that we passed the ball around at the back and retain possession for far longer instead of hoofing it up the pitch and losing possession immediately.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I am afraid anyone who starts grumbling at the way we do that (even if it goes back to the keeper) has no idea about football and has not listened to what Gus wants to do with the team. Also as he says look at the fing league table. People are idiots and listen to or read stuff said by so called experts and want quick football. This is one of the reasons English National football is shit.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Does my bloody head in, we keep the ball so don't see the problem. Poyet telling the south stand to calm down was just plain embarrassing, he should not need to do this. Lost my rag with some and began to shout at noone in particular, probably came across as a right mental

Same here. At one point in the second half people around were moaning for the back 2 to clear it. I shouted "keep 'um happy and hoof it" which on cue it happened, guess what? We gave possession away and so they moaned again. I again shouted " you got what you asked for you f**king idiots."

Some simpletons just do not get it.

Added to which I told a few times to f**k off and watch Crawley if they want kick and rush.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I really f***ing hate that gay phrase "in gus we trust"-its bent

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
The calls to "Hoof it" was doing my head in as well. IMHO the way we're playing is exactly how we should be doing it. You can see from our current League position and the oppositions' tactics that it is working and the other teams' are concerned by it.

We have the ball, the less opportunity for the other team to score, the more frustrated the other team gets, they tire towards the end through all the chasing around ala Brentford, the more fouls they commit through frustration / tiredness (if only the refs would give our fair quota of free-kicks like today with their Bartley bloke).

We hoof it and invariably we give away possession.

It's all well and good wanting the ball to be near the opposition goal, but it's the way to get it there that counts. Hoofing it isn't the way to do it.

Bournemouth had done their homework and were patrolling the wings to stop Lua Lua & Bennett, hence Elphick finding himself in plenty of space through the middle. What we could work on is how to be as effective in that situation as we are when teams defend "narrow" and we can more readily get the ball to our wide players.

That, and the obvious converting of chances, are the only areas I think Poyet needs to focus on. The rest is spot on IMHO.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Exactly. It was embarrasing to hear it on the tele and the commentators picked up on it. Funny thing was we scored soon after. What do these moaners want? El-Abd to play a pass that isn't on and lose the ball - it's BRILLIANT that we don't do this and keep the ball. Those who were moaning don't have a clue about football IMO.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
i love the way albion are trying to play. i mean they are league one players but they are transforming into better footballers in front of my eyes! el abd used to drive me crazy but i could kiss his baldy head nowadays. i am going to many more games now because of the way we are trying to play, i've had too many years of hoofball.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Why were they shouting at a plymouth player?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here