Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Imran Khan

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
At the last election his party only won about 32% of the vote.
A quick skim of the Wikipedia page seems to suggest that every party involved claimed there was some bias against them.
I think he's always been more controversial in Pakistan than might be imagined.
About 7/10 people I spoke to out there supported him. Granted, that’s anecdotal, but it was overwhelming.

The army wouldn’t be doing this if they didn’t think he would walk an election. That being said, there’s a lot of people with vested interests who would lose out if he becomes PM again.

Latest opinion polls say he’s on over 50%. The army despise him, which is why the got rid of him before.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
About 7/10 people I spoke to out there supported him. Granted, that’s anecdotal, but it was overwhelming.

The army wouldn’t be doing this if they didn’t think he would walk an election. That being said, there’s a lot of people with vested interests who would lose out if he becomes PM again.

Latest opinion polls say he’s on over 50%. The army despise him, which is why the got rid of him before.
I'm not sure that's particularly personal on the army's part though, I get the impression they're happy to stand behind pretty much any government for a while, and then once that party start getting ideas they turn on them and get rid.
Looking at the opinion polls listed on Wikipedia, the Pakistan Muslim League seem to have been more or less neck and neck or ahead until they took over the government, so I'm not sure how much the current polls reflect actual support for any policy position so much as just being pissed off with the whole situation.
I don't want any of that to read like I'm disagreeing with your actual experience, to be clear. Whereabouts in Pakistan were you, out of interest?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I'm not sure that's particularly personal on the army's part though, I get the impression they're happy to stand behind pretty much any government for a while, and then once that party start getting ideas they turn on them and get rid.
Looking at the opinion polls listed on Wikipedia, the Pakistan Muslim League seem to have been more or less neck and neck or ahead until they took over the government, so I'm not sure how much the current polls reflect actual support for any policy position so much as just being pissed off with the whole situation.
I don't want any of that to read like I'm disagreeing with your actual experience, to be clear. Whereabouts in Pakistan were you, out of interest?
I went for the cricket last year. Stayed in Lahore, which for the value of the thread, is a PTI (Khan) stronghold.

I then travelled around Punjab (again, very pro Khan) but also into Balochistan and closer to Afghanistan which was very different to the big cities.

The Pakistani people are some of the nicest that I’ve ever met, so hospitable, genuine and welcoming. They are the ones that suffer in all of this.

I’ve posted this picture on here before, but I love it.

65BF1F5F-5527-4EEE-9162-8F43886EEAED.jpeg

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I went for the cricket last year. Stayed in Lahore, which for the value of the thread, is a PTI (Khan) stronghold.

I then travelled around Punjab (again, very pro Khan) but also into Balochistan and closer to Afghanistan which was very different to the big cities.

The Pakistani people are some of the nicest that I’ve ever met, so hospitable, genuine and welcoming. They are the ones that suffer in all of this.

I’ve posted this picture on here before, but I love it.

View attachment 160759
I've heard the same about Pakistani people from friends who travelled there extensively.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Mrs Jakarta had just started teaching in Brighton when he was playing for Sussex and recalled he was very fond of blondes, although the turnover of them was remarkable.
And no she wasn't one of them... :lolol:
He was often pictured with a blonde at cricket matches, hardly ever the same one though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here