Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Improving

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
After the complete cluster**** that was summer 2013 at the Albion, I had very little expectation coming into this season. I think I had half a mind that merely finishing tenth wouldn't be a bad outcome, what with losing the manager, having a complete unknown come in to look after a group of players who'd largely excelled under the previous incumbent, and with a play off hangover still lingering.

It certainly took me a while to get my mojo back to be honest, but I thought even after losing at Watford or Derby that the threads on here dismissing our play off hopes were way over the top. As Bozza says, we are improving still, I think the players are increasingly on-message (except perhaps Kemy, who obviously isn't happy, but then he hasn't done anything to justify his inclusion in the matchday XI). There are signs of progress, and that's cheering me immensely (what more can you ask for, after all?).

Not sure if it's just me, but there's something else this season that's heartening, and that's the performances of the younger or fringe players. I don't know why, but when you see younger players progressing into the team, it seems like you root for them just that little bit more, there's a sense of real pride when they do well, much more so than in the case of an experienced and expensive imported player. Watching Ince and March at the moment is just great. Chicksen's done well too when he's played, and he was never a headline buy, more a young prospect that the Albion evidently felt they could bring on. Hopefully Monakana will be the same. I like this onus on bringing in young lads with potential, and if they all come good, then the future is bright. The imminent upgrading of the training and academy facilities can only enhance that, albeit some way down the line. You might not get the consistency with young players that you do with experienced ones, but when they do well, it's so much more satisfying. I'm genuinely hopeful that, for the first time ever as an Albion fan, we might be on the verge of something really good on that side of things. I'd love it if we ended up like Southampton, with a load of home grown stars in the side (yes, I appreciate that will be a few years yet). Fingers crossed- we appear to be going about things the right way now in that respect.

Spot on. There's been lots of talk about the Swansea model, but Southampton's youth policy has been brilliant for a while. Think our board structure and board members are better than theirs though: BARBER and BURKE IN

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Spot on. There's been lots of talk about the Swansea model, but Southampton's youth policy has been brilliant for a while. Think our board structure and board members are better than theirs though: BARBER and BURKE IN

I just think the crowd responds particularly well to successful young players. There's nothing better than seeing one of your own- loosely speaking- doing well, it creates a different sort of pride to when established players excel, you somehow identify with them more. People would love to see our development squad start to produce a regular stream of talent.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Yes, the two wins are good. Yes, being 1 point outside the play-offs is good.

The best thing though, surely, is how we do seem to be coming into form at just the right time. We were considerably better than Leeds last night to the point I think 1-0 flattered them. Our defence is, by and large, rock solid and the attacking side of our game is now beginning to show what we know we are capable of. Kaz is probably the only one of our established offensive players who is really firing still, but Ulloa seems to be moving in the right direction at last, Buckley is back, March is like having a decent new signing and it can only be a game or two until CMS is on the bench. Finally Spanish Rodney doesn't look out of place and must only improve with some match sharpness and we might even see Hoskins again this season.

Yes, things are looking good for us right now.

A fair assessment of where we are right now. Would also like to mention (if someone hasn't already) our remaining home fixtures.

We are at home to FIVE play-off rivals and away to only TWO others.

Home: Wigan, QPR, Reading, Ipswich, Boro

Away: Blackburn, Forest

Who knows, Forest could be promoted before the final game. I fancy them for a top two.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
After the complete cluster**** that was summer 2013 at the Albion, I had very little expectation coming into this season. I think I had half a mind that merely finishing tenth wouldn't be a bad outcome, what with losing the manager, having a complete unknown come in to look after a group of players who'd largely excelled under the previous incumbent, and with a play off hangover still lingering.

So I'm probably guessing that if someone had told you that we would suffer a horrendous injury list in the first half of the season; Bridcutt would only start 8 games (and then be sold in January); we would sell Barnes to a rival; sell El-Abd; and lose our best player up to that point in January to injury for the rest of the season - that there would be absolutely no way we could hope to come close to what we achieved last season?

And yet, after 30 games, we are 1 point better off and have conceded 8 fewer goals.

If only we had appointed an English manager, who knew how to get out of this division. :nono::nono:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A fair assessment of where we are right now. Would also like to mention (if someone hasn't already) our remaining home fixtures.

We are at home to FIVE play-off rivals and away to only TWO others.

Home: Wigan, QPR, Reading, Ipswich, Boro

Away: Blackburn, Forest

Who knows, Forest could be promoted before the final game. I fancy them for a top two.

Being ultra positive , if we take 19 or 21 points from those games we could still sneak into 2nd.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
short memory
I remember Leeds in the 70's winning game after game 1-0 and more recently Arsenal doing the same
people forget that winning the game of football is getting more goals than the opposition ..................1-0 ..........is one goal more than the opposition game won job done
lets get there and worry about finding lots more goals then eh!

Leeds used to score a goal and then spend the remainder of the game knocking it back to the goalie if the opposition got anywhere past the half way line :lol: I'm glad they changed the back pass rule to stop this happening and basically ruin a match.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Leeds used to score a goal and then spend the remainder of the game knocking it back to the goalie if the opposition got anywhere past the half way line :lol: I'm glad they changed the back pass rule to stop this happening and basically ruin a match.

I remember on MOTD when Leeds were on and when they scored I turned over as I knew there would be no more goals .....although I do remember one match where they won 6 or 7 nil against Southampton and I'm sure Southampton never touched the ball

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
If our lot are able to improve the quality in the final third, I can see us having a very strong finish to the season. Fingers crossed eh?

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
I only have the Leeds radio to go by which would obviously have been biassed but

- They kept saying that Ulloa's first touch was appalling, I know he scored but not sure he is really on 'form'
- Although we were better we didn't really create any decent chances, they thought a draw wouldn't have been an unfair result.

Anyway sounds like pace changed the game again. I would have thought we could start with Buckley's pace and bring on Lualua in future games should all be fit

you are right about ulloa, his touch was bad and not convincing in front of goal - although he did take the goal well. but i completely disagree about leeds deserving a draw. they had a small handful of chances and hardly any good possesion. any result for leeds would have been a travesty. brighton played quite well and had lots of decent situations on the attack.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Ulloa first touch bad ir not has shown in the past 2 games what he can do with service in the box. Ill accept the odd heavy touch here and there for a goal a game especially if they are winners

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
......But are we Premier League ready......? !

No. Nor were Palace, Hull or Cardiff though last season when they got promotion. You strengthen once you're up but I don't think throwing millions at it willy nilly is the way forward. For the record I don't think we will go up. 4 summer signings might do it though next season with a bit more luck with injuries as well helping out.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
There is a guy behind me who said 'corghh, its like watching a bloody confrence side'.

I sware he is an Arsenal fan.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Our last sixteen matches (excluding the playoffs) of the 2012/13 season.

P16 W8 D6 L2 F27 A10 Pts30

It's a tall order to replicate that, but we have players returning from injury and the loan window to push on, so who knows..?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It does seem to be coming together now and Garcia shows signs of preferring to try for 2-0 than gambling on holding out for 1-0.

That does seem to be the case. We finished last night with a nominal front 3 of Buckley, Obika and KLL who all seemed to be pushing up on to the Leeds defenders even in the final few minutes. Not sure that Uruguayan chap we had last season would have been quite so bold with a 1-0 lead and only a few minutes left on the clock?

Spot on. I look at Leicester at home and how Garcias attacking subs won us the game comfortably - more balls than Gus!

toff79

Aug 8, 2011
I only have the Leeds radio to go by which would obviously have been biassed but

- They kept saying that Ulloa's first touch was appalling, I know he scored but not sure he is really on 'form'
- Although we were better we didn't really create any decent chances, they thought a draw wouldn't have been an unfair result.

Anyway sounds like pace changed the game again. I would have thought we could start with Buckley's pace and bring on Lualua in future games should all be fit

its worse then appalling, we played well on Tuesday but Ross mccormack showed how to hold a ball u,p 5 foot nothing and every time the ball stuck at his feet, we defended him well but if Leo could control the ball half as good as that then we would create a lot more

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I liked the short corner that got passed back to the half way line.
That was just dumb. Having two players standing over a corner is fair enough, as the defence don't know whether they're defending an outswinger or an inswinger. But to tap it to each other with no consequence is fcking stupid. And that of course is exactly what they did. And we all knew they would.

As I mentioned in another thread, this was all Ward's fault. They had a plan for the corner that required ward to make a run that he just didn't make. Orlandi spoke to him before heading over to take the corner, then yelled at him after they passed the ball back to Greer because he did not play his part.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Our last sixteen matches (excluding the playoffs) of the 2012/13 season.

P16 W8 D6 L2 F27 A10 Pts30

It's a tall order to replicate that, but we have players returning from injury and the loan window to push on, so who knows..?
Don't see why not, although F & A columns could probably be halved. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here