Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Important story on the Shoreham disaster today - *update, petition to stop Andy Hill flying*

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is it true that he deviated from the course he had submitted? And that he had a history of doing so?

If so, he should be rotting in prison.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I don't know if this has been mentioned in the thread so far, if so, then apologies for repeating...
A few years ago, (guessing, about 2007?) me and my girl were watching the Shoreham air show from the hills near Lancing College.
Is it true that he deviated from the course he had submitted? And that he had a history of doing so?

It’s a shame he’s not rotting in the undergrowth he flattened where he ended up! I don’t know this guy obviously but the more I hear of his character the more I wished he’d have copped it too!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

As I understand it he was not at the appropriate speed for the manoeuvre, was too low for the manouevre, and should not have been executing that manoeuvre over the road. All this was apparent at that moment. Oh and it was apparently no surprise it was that pilot.

Poskettspurpose

Jun 18, 2021
I have significant links to the Shoreham air disaster for many reasons (as I'm sure many on the forum do) all of which I wont go into on the forum. I travel on the A27 past that junction everyday and have done for years and as I did that fateful day on the way to the Albion game against Blackburn in 2015 (about 15 mins before Hill crashed). In my maturing years I have learned to have a live and let live attitude and understanding about most events and peoples actions, however not with regards to Andrew Hill. I wont say any more as I'm not sure what is allowed on the NSC and I don't want to upset the mods.....

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I have significant links to the Shoreham air disaster for many reasons (as I'm sure many on the forum do) all of which I wont go into on the forum. I travel on the A27 past that junction everyday and have done for years and as I did that fateful day on the way to the Albion game against Blackburn in 2015 (about 15 mins before Hill crashed). In my maturing years I have learned to have a live and let live attitude and understanding about most events and peoples actions, however not with regards to Andrew Hill. I wont say any more as I'm not sure what is allowed on the NSC and I don't want to upset the mods.....
Many have got links to that day, the poor wedding chauffeur in the big white Bentley Maurice only a year before was my wedding chauffeur, truly lovely gentleman and like many on here Jacob’s father was my physics teacher at Fawcett 😥 I was actually in the Harvey’s lounge that day , on reflection I’m amazed the game went ahead even taking into account the delayed KO

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
As I understand it he was not at the appropriate speed for the manoeuvre, was too low for the manouevre, and should not have been executing that manoeuvre over the road. All this was apparent at that moment. Oh and it was apparently no surprise it was that pilot.
All of this.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I don't know if this has been mentioned in the thread so far, if so, then apologies for repeating...
A few years ago, (guessing, about 2007?) me and my girl were watching the Shoreham air show from the hills near Lancing College.
There were a few dozen of us there, when this bloody great jet came at us. If the pilot was trying to scare us, he did a bloody good job. I honestly thought we were going to die.
Same pilot?
The only jet that could be considered 'large' at the 2007 show was the Typhoon which will definitely not have been piloted by Andy Hill. The only jet that Andy Hill would have flown other than the tiny Strikemasters or Gnats is the Hunter and I'm not sure if that appeared previously. You may have seen the Vulcan another year? Again, not flown by Hill.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Just seen this. It's very difficult this one, as a mod, because as far as I'm concerned Hill killed my friend's friend. However, NSC does have to protect itself legally, so thanks for your consideration.
Good opportunity to :bounce: here. Please sign the petition everyone. Don't let this man fly again.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Incorrect, read the AAIB report. He did not bail out, pilot was still in the aircraft when it hit the ground.

If you hit the ground at the bottom of a loop there is no choice where to "put down". It's a very different scenario to the WW2 bomber that had time to select where to ditch.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm in no way defending the lack of flying skills of Andy Hill. His first mistake was insufficient speed going into his loop assent, this then ment his second mistake was the top of his loop was too low. If he'd glanced at one of his two altimeters he would have realised and aborted the manoeuvre at the top of the loop, his 3rd and fateful mistake. Once committed to the loop descent, he was doomed. He ran out of altitude and it was a tragic fluke that point of impact was the A27.

50 foot higher at the top of the loop would likely have missed the road and hit the field, 100 foot higher and he may not have hit the ground at all.

Sad and tragic misjudgement.
Well described. I think many don't understand that manouvres at airshows are often above people or roads, just not the actual crowd at the event! If you've ever stayed at Townsend Farm or Totterdown for RIAT, you will have had the experience of seeing aircraft completing exactly the manouvre Hill did while right above you. Andy Hill made errors but I'm not sure the horizontal positioning of his manouvre was one of them.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
The only jet that could be considered 'large' at the 2007 show was the Typhoon which will definitely not have been piloted by Andy Hill. The only jet that Andy Hill would have flown other than the tiny Strikemasters or Gnats is the Hunter and I'm not sure if that appeared previously. You may have seen the Vulcan another year? Again, not flown by Hill.
I'm only guessing at 2007, could have been a couple of years either way. If it wasn't Hill, then there is another arsehole out there that needs stopping.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Well described. I think many don't understand that manouvres at airshows are often above people or roads, just not the actual crowd at the event! If you've ever stayed at Townsend Farm or Totterdown for RIAT, you will have had the experience of seeing aircraft completing exactly the manouvre Hill did while right above you. Andy Hill made errors but I'm not sure the horizontal positioning of his manouvre was one of them.
There is plenty of space around the airport. It's on a river valley.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Signed. I’m utterly against social media witch hunts but the mere fact this guy would even consider flying again says everything about his character.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There is plenty of space around the airport. It's on a river valley.
There have been loads of competent considerate pilots impressing and wooing crowds, safely, for decades.

until this arrogant, incompetent selfish, underskilled, show off ruined it all for everyone and devestated countless lives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here