Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Impeccable source.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Ulloa always looked great when he was up for it, but in those games when he wasn't, he looked really, really poor.

If he wanted a move to the Premier League and the Albion refused to let him go, we'd have an entire season of the really really poor version, paying him decent wages, and watching his transfer value drop by the month.

Selling him now for the best price we could possibly get makes total sense IMHO. Good luck, Leo.

If O'Grady signs and isn't just using us to get a better deal from another northern club, then it's another step forward. He's no Jon Obika at least. I'd imagine there would be designs on at least one more striker in addition, which probably puts us in a decent position when all's said & done.

People forget the games when he couldn't be bothered or the petulance , £7million is a steal when you consider what we got for Zamora. I think he will be off the pace in the Premier League and end up back in Spain

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It has taken that long because TB will not be bullied into accepting the first underpriced bid for a player. He has every right to hold out for a price that he finds acceptable.

As for losing the spine of the team, that would be a spine that included Bridcutt who wanted to play in the PL for Poyet and TK who clearly didn't want to be here towards the end of last season. Upson has probably got one more season left in him and he has got a return to the PL.

I said back in May that Leicester were wasting our time and unsettling the player. This is not a playground and it's not about bullying - I submit that Leicester were naive in biding £3.5million and Albion were naïve in saying he was a £10million player. If we are prepared to accept £7.5mill now then we were willing to accept £7.5mill two months ago. Both teams could have made it easier by cutting a deal rather than posturing. If this had have happened the Sami would have had the matter sorted and a chunk of cash in the bank before he joined. Now he's got squad of players "apparently in tears" over Ulloa's departure and rightly so because of the shit timing.

And yes, for whatever reason, we've lost the spine of the team. Individual players can be replaced but collectively we've lost a lot of experience and are effectively starting over from scratch. I'd say we've lost too much too quickly.

I still trust the Board but to me it looks like one hell of an ask to bring in suitable replacements at the right price, get them to have some pre-season and then gel into a promotion-seeking unit. It's beginning to look like a season to be written off as transition, unless Bloom can perform another miracle.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ulloa always looked great when he was up for it, but in those games when he wasn't, he looked really, really poor.

He'd have 2/10 games then still invariably pop up with a goal towards the end. That's why he was a very good player who will be a big miss. Just as Murray was.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
£7.5m seems like a good deal for us and good luck to him. However, it is a little concerning over the last two windows we have lost arguably our five most "Premier League Ready" players (Birdcutt, Upton, Kushov, Alloa and Peter Ward) without, so far, signing replacements of a similar calibre*.

*Hoping to be proved wrong of course.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
£7.5m seems like a good deal for us and good luck to him. However, it is a little concerning over the last two windows we have lost arguably our five most "Premier League Ready" players (Birdcutt, Upton, Kushov, Alloa and Peter Ward) without, so far, signing replacements of a similar calibre*.

Literally none of those five players have been sold recently. Or in some cases, even existed.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013

Haven't so far seen any Premier League clubs fighting over TK, Bridcutt's impact at Sunderland has been underwhelming and Ulloa is yet to start a PL match. Some of our 'Premier League-ready' players might in fact be 'Championship-ready players'.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool

Don't worry we might now get back Hurray or Sam Aura :)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Peter Ward? Lol!

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Big six weeks for the Albion IMO. We have come to the end of a very good side and how we go about building the next one will say a lot about our immediate future. I can't put my hand on my heart and say I'm very enthused about either signing so far, but we now have the funds to get some quality in, so we shall see I guess...

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I see that NSC has set the value of Ulloas transfer in stone at £7.5m. Nice to know we have such informed people on here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I said back in May that Leicester were wasting our time and unsettling the player. This is not a playground and it's not about bullying - I submit that Leicester were naive in biding £3.5million and Albion were naïve in saying he was a £10million player. If we are prepared to accept £7.5mill now then we were willing to accept £7.5mill two months ago.

Argus says fee could reach 10 million. Well done, Tony.

It looks like the negotiating was worth it.

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
Disappointed to see Leo go, but what a fantastic bit of business that is. As BV says, well done BHAFC.

Also looking forward to seeing how Ulloa performs in the Premier League, I hope he does well (and activates the big £££ clauses... maybe even a decent % sell-on!)

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Why has he earnt his crack at the PL ? he couldnt score in four play off games.

No but he could score twice last season against Hull Home and Away in the FA Cup who are a Premier league team.

Ohh he also scored against Burnley who are now a Premier League team and he also scored twice against Leicester who believe it or not are also now a Premier league team. ( On that basis you have to class them as Premier league quality as the top 2 teams to go up)

Ohhh and last but not least he also scored against Arsenal in the Cup and yes they are also a Premier League team, and a very good one at that!

Ulloa deserves his crack at the Premier League and I wish him well, i just hope the fee is re-invested in the team and we purchase players capable of being top performers in the Championship but are not in the twilight of there career.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Individual players can be replaced but collectively we've lost a lot of experience and are effectively starting over from scratch. I'd say we've lost too much too quickly.

If we are starting from scratch, can i suggest that if we can get Bruno, Greer, Dunk, Stephens, Crofts, Ankergren, CMS, Calderon, Chicksen, JFC, LuaLua, March, Buckley, Toko and Ince for no fees, just wages, that would be a good start ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here