Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Impact of Loanees

scousegull

Apr 15, 2008
Having listened to Ince's pre- and post-match interviews mentioning the number of loanees Notts Co have and the largely negative effect this has; and Gus' comments regarding getting the right player in to not disrupt team morale etc it got me thinking as to how loanees do actually reflect on league placings.

Forgive me if it's not quite up to date, but this table gives an idea of the number of loanees per club in the league. Although it's hardly conclusive, there are some things that are quite interesting. In particular, the fact that Huddersfield are the only club in the top 10 to have the maximum 6 loanees. Also, us and Saints are 2 of only 5 teams (including Plymouth who are a slight anomaly given their circumstances) to only have one loanee at the club. There are of course many other factors that influence this, but it seems on the whole that it is a case of more loanees = lower league standing. Obviously these may well change by the end of the day, but I thought it was quite interesting to see the real impact of loanees on league placings.

Attachments

• Loans in League One.doc
    73.5 KB · Views: 45

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think it's cause and effect, generally the lower sides can't afford to buy players so have to depend on loans that may be favourable wages-wise.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think it's cause and effect, generally the lower sides can't afford to buy players so have to depend on loans that may be favourable wages-wise.
Plus a struggling side is naturally going to be looking to try and improve their side in the hope of getting up the table, they have more need to use the loan system to begin with.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Tough one. You shouldnt really be allowed to fill your team full of loanees as thats essentially cheating*. They should only be used to cover one or two positions like we have with Wood.

Also you question their commitment. When Adams packed our side full of them 2nd time round you could see some couldnt give a toss.

Then again you do get good ones like Borrowdale, Bradley Johnson etc etc

Of course for somone like plymouth then its not.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Look at the abortion of a side that Micky Adams pt 2 had and the amount of loanees he used to get a good answer to that question.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Look at the abortion of a side that Micky Adams pt 2 had and the amount of loanees he used to get a good answer to that question.
Problem is our best performances that season were thanks to loanees, Johnson and Thornton when we had them. And loanees kept us up, Dicker, Andrew, Owusu etc.

scousegull

Apr 15, 2008
Problem is our best performances that season were thanks to loanees, Johnson and Thornton when we had them. And loanees kept us up, Dicker, Andrew, Owusu etc.

Yeah, I think it can have either positive or negative effects, largely depending on the character of the player and, perhaps more importantly, the stage that they are in their career. Someone nearing the end of their career or perhaps who has little to prove ie Savage (along with being a selfish Welsh t*at - but that's beside the point) probably has less desire/motivation to succeed, whilst someone like Wood who is just starting out is eager to try and earn a contract with us/impress Hodgson & get a promotion on his CV!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here