Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IMF revises it's forecast of uk economy

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A few rich kids feeling well off does not matter when 99% of the electorate are suffering from pay cuts & freezes and ever increasing prices
Except Royal Mail who are being balloted for strike action over numerous issues including a 9% pay rise over 3 years, and a £300 no strike bonus!!

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I get no personal tax allowances and have a hugely negative tax code. My company pays over £150k a year in congestion tax, and to top it all off any profits we make are subject to corporation tax. It's not all plain sailing for SME's, it's bloody hard work, but we provide employment for 200 people who all have a good standard of living. It's not all about categorising "rich" and "poor".

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Gideon is probably dancing round no. 11

Can I ask a question, well a couple of questions - did you refer to Gordon Brown as 'James'? If not, why not?

Apologies C.R. if that came across wrong, I'm genuinely puzzled by this. Not as puzzled, mind you, as Gordon's decision not to call himself 'James Brown'. That would have been far, far cooler than going around using his (and Alan Partridge....and my) middle name. Missed a trick there, Labour.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
What comes across strongly in this thread and having just listened to Ed Balls on the news is that some people can't see past their personal political agendas/bigotries. This is GOOD NEWS.

Which party is or isn't responsible for the recession or reovery is irrelevant to the fact that for my business and the many people I employ and all of our families, this is GOOD NEWS!

Or would you rather we went back into recession???

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Wasn't it Gordon Brown who scrapped the 10p in the pound starting tax rate? That kicked a few punters when they were down.

Not one of his better political decisions considering he was supposedly the best Chancellor we've ever had.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
What comes across strongly in this thread and having just listened to Ed Balls on the news is that some people can't see past their personal political agendas/bigotries. This is GOOD NEWS.

Which party is or isn't responsible for the recession or reovery is irrelevant to the fact that for my business and the many people I employ and all of our families, this is GOOD NEWS!

Or would you rather we went back into recession???

The Good News would be getting that growth.

That the IMF keep changing what they think will happen is not really Good News is it?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I work in the public sector. Forget pre tax pay, my take home pay has actually gone down. I earn less than I did in 2009. I have had no pay rise for the past 3 years. I now have received 1% for this year. I am not alone in this. Without the higher personal allowance, I would be even worse off.

I'm not saying that Labour was the answer. But, there was working tax credit, child tax credit. Public Services that were actually funded, rather than cut.

I'm not getting into politics, cos its always based on ones own perspectives.

But, even the most blinkered can see whats going on here. A bedroom tax for those that can ill afford it, yet you have the right to buy scheme......upto £600,000.

Cuts to benefits again to those that can ill afford it, yet you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be tax cuts that will benefit the most.

I'm not against wealth creators, and actually I don't care if they have a tax cut, but come on, pay for it by cutting benefits to the poor. Morally wrong!

Well to be honest i have never understood working tax credit or any of them really any child benefit went to Mrs LBG on the totally laughable Labour/women aka Harriet Harmon 'women know how to provide best for a child' reasoning. As for me i want low tax at source so myself and my better half choose how to spend it.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Income tax reduced from 50 - 45% for the rich whilst NHS staff are told that the 1% pay rise they were promised is no longer affordable. Manipulative *******s.

Manipulative is a good word............

You do know when Labour actually introduced the 50% tax rate don't you?

Remember they got into power in 1997.................in your own time.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Wasn't it Gordon Brown who scrapped the 10p in the pound starting tax rate? That kicked a few punters when they were down.

Not one of his better political decisions considering he was the worst Chancellor we've ever had.

Yes it was him, and it hit pensioners in particular, and of course others whose income was just above the tax cut off. [corrected your quote for you!].

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Those that can ill afford to pay, have borne the brunt of paying for the mistakes of the bankers etc.
Indeed. But that's nothing to do with Tory/Labour, that's just the way the system works (under either government).

Income tax reduced from 50 - 45% for the rich whilst NHS staff are told that the 1% pay rise they were promised is no longer affordable. Manipulative *******s.
How much would a 1% pay rise to NHS staff cost? How much does a tax cut from 50% to 45% cost? A cut from 50% to 45% shouldn't be surprising, 45% Is still more than any previous Tory government have taken. Personally, I'd prefer the NHS pay rise, since that's our family income. I don't like the cuts, but I also don't like the way the last government (that I voted for) ran our economy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here