Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IMAC advice

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
We have a 21 inch IMAC in my sons bedroom which needs a new internal hard drive fitted - just wondered if any of you had tackled this before?

Is it a simple thing to fit?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Few video's on you tube - doesn't look to hard..

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
has the original HDD failed?

if not i can take an image of the old one and pop it on to the new one for you

and then you should be able to pop that straight in to the mac and off you go without having to re install the OS

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
has the original HDD failed?

if not i can take an image of the old one and pop it on to the new one for you

and then you should be able to pop that straight in to the mac and off you go without having to re install the OS

It's the original one that's failed - we have been using an external one but we wanted to get an internal one fitted x

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
is it not just open the case and unplug old one and plug in new one i have an external dock for sata hard drives if you want to format it first

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
is it not just open the case and unplug old one and plug in new one i have an external dock for sata hard drives if you want to format it first

this is why working on PC's is easier, have you ever tried to work on a iMac, they are an absolute nightmare, not just as easy as popping the side off, 4 screw and replace. you have to remove the glass, the screen, and remove all sorts of thermal sensors.

Unless you are experienced in working on Mac's then i would take it to a shop, if you go in a bit heavy handed you can break the connector or snap off a sensor and will cost you a small fortune.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
this is why working on PC's is easier, have you ever tried to work on a iMac, they are an absolute nightmare, not just as easy as popping the side off, 4 screw and replace. you have to remove the glass, the screen, and remove all sorts of thermal sensors.

Unless you are experienced in working on Mac's then i would take it to a shop, if you go in a bit heavy handed you can break the connector or snap off a sensor and will cost you a small fortune.

Yeah I had a look at that video and thought it looked a bit tricky!!! I have the number of a guy from Worthing from someone on here who had one fitted last year so I will give him a call. Solutions have quoted £100 for the hard drive and £100 to fit it - but I can buy the hard drive for about £50 on the net!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Try the computer shop on Queens Road - they can do it much cheaper than Solutions. They installed my new MacBook Pro hard drive with no fuss.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've changed hard drives in a MacbookPro, MacMini and iBook, never had a problem. I've opened up an iMac and it's not difficult. Get a couple of plastic spudgers and take your time.

I laugh at people who say 'it's easy with a pc', what do they mean, there are hundreds of makers and models of pc, most of them ugly great boxes - no thanks!

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
I've changed hard drives in a MacbookPro, MacMini and iBook, never had a problem. I've opened up an iMac and it's not difficult. Get a couple of plastic spudgers and take your time.

I laugh at people who say 'it's easy with a pc', what do they mean, there are hundreds of makers and models of pc, most of them ugly great boxes - no thanks!

What's a spudger ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here