I'm thinking of opening my own shop

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Might be a clue in your post as to whether or not an ale shop is a good idea and will make enough money.

TBH what shops do you know that are busy these days? Apart from supermarkets and cheap discount stores like PoundStretcher and Primark?

Have you ever worked in a shop? Maybe try that first to see if Customer Service is your thing?

only reason it closed was because it was in the middle of a bloody housing estate!!!! AFAIK, they still do mail order and internet stuff. It's all about location, location, location if you want a shop to succeed!!!

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Just lost mine in this current climate!! I have an empty shop for sale in Lewes, please buy it!

Sorry to hear that promotion, I am sorry, just looking at the Tonbridge area.

Promotion

Aug 27, 2011
Nearby
Sorry to hear that promotion, I am sorry, just looking at the Tonbridge area.

No worries. It was good for many years. Be prepared to work 24/7 in one way or another. Watch what you spend when setting up, staffing was a real pain in the arse, customer service is the most important part.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Open Chris Cattlin's rock shop

cattlins.png

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
:lolol: I thought Tonbridge was lovely.

Are you on medication??!! It's a shithole, the high street is a string of charity shops and empty shops, spattered with cheap poundland rip offs. I went to school and college there, and would have little to no desire to go back!!!

The Castle and the Park are lovely though :thumbsup:

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Tell you what would be worth opening, because we've got bugger all in either Worthing or Brighton - a PROPER real ale shop. NO lager, NO cider, just wall to wall beer. In casks, in bottles, in polypins - whatever. Just something like that. There's a place that does it reasonably well in Tunbridge Wells - The bitter end. There used to be The Beer Box in Worthing, but it closed down. Get on that, in a good location and that would go down well, especially given the fact that sales of Real Ale are increasing year on year.

We have one in Horsham. The Beer Essentials in East Street. Great little shop, he does Ok but I think he makes most of his money by running the annual Horsham Beer Festival

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You need to have an expertise and passion for the service or products you are selling or a unique product/service.

Why would you burden yourself with a lease/mortgage of a shop and all of its associated costs.

Why not build a website and advertise, whilst you have you products stored in your garage/bedroom or wherever.

You can control costs and have very few ongoing liabilities, it should protect you from inevitable buckruptcy !!

D

Deleted User X18H

I am thinking of opening a shop called ' As endorsed by the Green Party' around the Fiveways Village area.

Can you imagine the old tat I could get away with selling for a extortionate price, if it had Lucas' mug all over it.

Anyway good luck with it. I am sure someone on here opened a shop once!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
sorry, i am thinking food, tea's, coffees, cakes, or maybe an old fashioned corner shop.

if your thinking food,we supply the grand,cavalier of brighton(they then pass on to loads of schools etc),and 3/4other outlets (all homemade on premises)with bread/cakes/etc,pm for more details

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
oh,and coffee is where all the money is,you see many empty coffee shops? no

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports