Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I'm not surprised the criticism is mainly aimed at Potter, but I'm looking at the players

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Having slept on it I’ve come to the conclusion the problem is to do with the psychology and dynamic of the team (the confidence is another way of putting it). Which given Potter’s often remarked upon master’s degree in emotional intelligence is a pretty strange thing to happen.

We’ve seen the players perform much better than they have recently and beat teams we wouldn’t have thought we could previously.

So what is causing the slump? Would love to know what is happening behind closed doors at the club.

I definitely think the Ryan saga. has had implications on the dressing room , something has happened to cause an upset behind the closed doors

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
i would suggest a degree here could be a hindrance, applying theory out of place, players not responding as expected and not changing accordingly.

I have no specific idea what's included in a Emotional Intelligence and Leadership Masters Degree, but I suspect it is not one theory but gives the student a host of tools/language/ideas that helps explain behaviours and find ways of communicating with others. Lots of us will have come across these through our work places. They rarely give "the answer" but help provide ways of navigating and leading teams/others. It will involve loads of theories .. I cannot see why that would have to be a hindrance. GP will be better equipped that he might otherwise have been to deal with players, lead through change and adapt his style etc. to suit individual players needs..

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I definitely think the Ryan saga. has had implications on the dressing room , something has happened to cause an upset behind the closed doors

Exactly this. I’m not talking about high drama but trying to point out none of us on here know what the actual problems are and are all trying to guess. The fact Maupay was dropped after a dressing room bust up does seem part of it all.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Makes you wonder if some of the players aren't fully onboard with GPs ideas and constant tampering with the tactics and team

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... I cannot see why that would have to be a hindrance. GP will be better equipped that he might otherwise have been to deal with players, lead through change and adapt his style etc. to suit individual players needs..

because it might lead to over-thinking, over-analysis. concern for a players needs, empathy, self-awareness and other ideals at the expense of assertive competitiveness. might be great for business, in the boardroom or in training, not translate to the intensity of 90min on pitch.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I guess so, but I think it would be more aimed at the environment created around the club, such as values, behaviours, attitude to development, mistakes, pressure, training, change rather than specifically in a match situation.. I might be wrong though..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here