Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] I'm never going to buy my own house am I?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This will only ever happen if its legislated for.

At the moment its impossible to say to someone in the UK that renting is equal to buying. My mortgage is a grand a month with the benefit of equity and growth.

If I was renting the same house my rent would be £1500 a month minimum plus fees and deposit which the agent will milk for all they're worth.

There's no silver bullet that will solve this. As a start I think more social housing and more protections for private tenants would help.

Exactly - the thousands of council houses that the Thacher woman flogged off cheap to buy votes would come in handy for the people of this country now.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I have to say a really big thank you for all the kind replies I've had from you all.

I've had a ****ing awful year and a bit. I dont know what happened to me yesterday, probably a severe lack of sleep (I'm lucky if I manage 5 hours a night) and way too much alcohol that I daren't admit to publicly. But somehow I managed to drag myself off to work this morning feeling a lot better in myself.

I've been on antidepressants since the summer and also zopiclone to help me sleep but I decided neither were working over Christmas so stopped taking them. I've got a phone appt. with the docs tomorrow so I'll have a chat with him tomorrow and I've also been talking to Uncle Spielberg to see what can be done.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to break into the deposit money for the foreseeable until I get a proper full month's wages sorted out as leaving 2 jobs in quick succession and an unplanned week off (in the month with the longest gap between pay days) with an added car repair and insurance renewal has hit with a bit of force.

I did have deposit and £2k saved for solicitors fees etc but thats all been wiped out so just deposit remains and a whopping £8.37 in the bank to last until the 27th so needs must unfortunately.

Thankyou once again for all the advice. I've never been one to talk about things and have always bottled things up, and still do in real life but perhaps the anonymity on here has helped me relieve some angst and pressure.

Keep the discussion going though as its actually rather well balanced and polite (as soon as Thatcher and selling off council houses appeared I thought this might be ****ed off to the Bear Pit!)

I shall keep you updated as you when if I think its suitable. Hopefully it'll bring what is such a shit situation more to forefront of people's minds.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You really don't want to come off prescribed medication without speaking to the quack first (they do know what they are talking about which is more than I do), and the drinkies probably won't have helped - but you'll know that anyway.

Stay calm.

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/zopiclone/

"2. Key facts
Zopiclone takes around 1 hour to work.
Zopiclone is usually prescribed for just 2 to 4 weeks. This is because your body gets used to it quickly and after this time it's unlikely to have the same effect. Your body can also become dependent on it.
Common side effects are a metallic taste in your mouth, a dry mouth, and daytime sleepiness.
Do not drink alcohol while you're on zopiclone. Having them together can make you go into a deep sleep where you find it difficult to wake up.
Zopiclone is also called by the brand name Zimovane."

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
You really don't want to come off prescribed medication without speaking to the quack first (they do know what they are talking about which is more than I do), and the drinkies probably won't have helped - but you'll know that anyway.

Stay calm.

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/zopiclone/

"2. Key facts
Zopiclone takes around 1 hour to work.
Zopiclone is usually prescribed for just 2 to 4 weeks. This is because your body gets used to it quickly and after this time it's unlikely to have the same effect. Your body can also become dependent on it.
Common side effects are a metallic taste in your mouth, a dry mouth, and daytime sleepiness.
Do not drink alcohol while you're on zopiclone. Having them together can make you go into a deep sleep where you find it difficult to wake up.
Zopiclone is also called by the brand name Zimovane."

Thats not a problem for me. I had a "bad spell" in my early 20's and spent a lot of time on antidepressants and such like, at the same time I also had quite a severe liking for Ecstasy and cocaine.

I came off the prescribed stuff and arrived on with class A's. Then I met my missus and took some with me on our first date in case I was shy (my normal state)..... I didnt touch any of it that night and haven't done since.... (14 years)

Drugs don't affect me like that, I can start and stop no bother with no real side effects I think. The problem is in my head as I just can't switch my brain off, I'm always thinking of what I need to do and how to do it, and any possible scenario I may encounter along the way and have a contingency for it.

I think the issue I've had with this is that no matter how hard I try, and whatever plan I think could help has given me a massive kick in the nuts and set me back further than I already was.

Nowadays its just "computer says no" and thats it, they don't take into account important things like honesty, truth, my word or anything like that. To them its just numbers, I pay more in rent than a mortgage would cost but its still deemed unaffordable to lenders and it makes my piss fizz with rage.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Good luck Spongy, the NSC family will always be here for you.
As an aside, what line of work are you in and would you change careers if vacancies were available?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Firstly, I get that places like Germany have a higher ratio of renting to ownership than the UK

Where I get troubled is, that for many UK properties, the cost to rent is often higher than a typical mortgage to buy it.
Rents go up [annually] broadly in line with inflation, driven by demand and availability
Mortgages are only regulated by interest rate, if the rate never changed [yes, I know it does] you'd be paying the same £££ in 20 years time

And the killer for me is, how does one afford to pay rent when in retirement? The state pension in 2020-21 is ~£383 pcm !! So, when the Bailiffs come a knocking, where do you go?
Alternatively, once a mortgage is paid off, you're living "rent free" [and also sitting on an inheritance for any kids, in time]

How do retired Germans afford to pay their rent?

A friend of mine parents lived in Berlin his father was in the British army and his mum was German 30 years later his parents pass away and he sells the flat they owned in Berlin purchased in the 1960s it was sold for exactly the same amount that they had paid in the 2010s

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Good luck Spongy, the NSC family will always be here for you.
As an aside, what line of work are you in and would you change careers if vacancies were available?

I'm in sheet metal work but the cnc side of things so punchpress, laser cutting and brakepress work with a bit of turning and milling experience). I also do development work for folding and feasibility (ie the sales and quote team accept a job and then come to me to make sure its right and if we can actually make it after they've said we would/could).

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
I have to say a really big thank you for all the kind replies I've had from you all.

I've had a ****ing awful year and a bit. I dont know what happened to me yesterday, probably a severe lack of sleep (I'm lucky if I manage 5 hours a night) and way too much alcohol that I daren't admit to publicly. But somehow I managed to drag myself off to work this morning feeling a lot better in myself.

I've been on antidepressants since the summer and also zopiclone to help me sleep but I decided neither were working over Christmas so stopped taking them. I've got a phone appt. with the docs tomorrow so I'll have a chat with him tomorrow and I've also been talking to Uncle Spielberg to see what can be done.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to break into the deposit money for the foreseeable until I get a proper full month's wages sorted out as leaving 2 jobs in quick succession and an unplanned week off (in the month with the longest gap between pay days) with an added car repair and insurance renewal has hit with a bit of force.

I did have deposit and £2k saved for solicitors fees etc but thats all been wiped out so just deposit remains and a whopping £8.37 in the bank to last until the 27th so needs must unfortunately.

Thankyou once again for all the advice. I've never been one to talk about things and have always bottled things up, and still do in real life but perhaps the anonymity on here has helped me relieve some angst and pressure.

Keep the discussion going though as its actually rather well balanced and polite (as soon as Thatcher and selling off council houses appeared I thought this might be ****ed off to the Bear Pit!)

I shall keep you updated as you when if I think its suitable. Hopefully it'll bring what is such a shit situation more to forefront of people's minds.

I think Uncle Spielberg lives in Newhaven which could be an option - there seems to be quite a bit of development/regeneration money for Newhaven.

I recommend listening to the most recent Albion Roar to hear what Harty has to say - especially about how vital it is to talk and also about the booze.

Take care

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thats not a problem for me. I had a "bad spell" in my early 20's and spent a lot of time on antidepressants and such like, at the same time I also had quite a severe liking for Ecstasy and cocaine.

I came off the prescribed stuff and arrived on with class A's. Then I met my missus and took some with me on our first date in case I was shy (my normal state)..... I didnt touch any of it that night and haven't done since.... (14 years)

Drugs don't affect me like that, I can start and stop no bother with no real side effects I think. The problem is in my head as I just can't switch my brain off, I'm always thinking of what I need to do and how to do it, and any possible scenario I may encounter along the way and have a contingency for it.

I think the issue I've had with this is that no matter how hard I try, and whatever plan I think could help has given me a massive kick in the nuts and set me back further than I already was.

Nowadays its just "computer says no" and thats it, they don't take into account important things like honesty, truth, my word or anything like that. To them its just numbers, I pay more in rent than a mortgage would cost but its still deemed unaffordable to lenders and it makes my piss fizz with rage.

Having a very active mind that simply won’t switch off when you’re seemingly relaxing, watching a movie for example or trying to get to sleep is incredibly common. Truly relaxing is hard to do.

Try; writing things down an hour before you go to bed, to consign them to paper, cutting out all computers/phones mid evening onwards (put them somewhere else where you can’t be tempted), watching movies/boxsets and/or reading a good book that interests you. Yoga (even at home) and meditation are amazing. The later is difficult at first, but persevere, it works.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Exactly - the thousands of council houses that the Thacher woman flogged off cheap to buy votes would come in handy for the people of this country now.

those houses didnt go anywhere, theres people living in them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
there is one silver bullet - build more homes. private developers, council, housing association, doesnt matter. relax planning permission and get building.

There are thousands of houses going up at 4 sites on the periphery of Faversham. Big houes, small windows, tiny gardens. There is no accompanying infrastructure. So far, one Lidl. The trains to London are crowded (outside of Covid) and slow. Much worse than when I moved here 30 years ago.

Easing planning restrictions further would simply hasten the ghettoisation of the nation. Cram them in and let them queue for everything. In the attached there is one road in and out of each estate and it is a 30 minute walk to the station. A drive to the station in rush hour, 30 minutes. There is very little public transport down here. The estates look quite nice, but....

Meanwhile the palaver I had getting permission to build an extension at the back of my house (that is not overlooked). Why?

What the nation needs is proper planning. Instead we have ****wits managing a racket.

197F6GUCWK468J46GLW5.jpg

This is the town where I grew up. Still as lovely as ever :facepalm:

boundary road.jpg

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset

I’m going to answer your first question –you will buy a house. One day, maybe not in the next year or so, but you will.

Because you are type of chap that doesn’t give up. You care for your family, and you won’t let them down. Because you are strong enough to open up on NSC. The cathartic effect of speaking honestly to a faceless group (on the whole) of people with a common bond, is huge. You care. People care. I care.
Best, Rob.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Being flexible with where you live is the key.
Buying a house in a town full of cider-drinking racist small-minded inbreds was the best thing I ever did.

The one problem with this area (Swindon) its only 30-40 minutes from London on the train now the lines are electrified, Prices have risen due to more London commuters.

I moved down here in 91 due to being based at Brize Norton, so glad i bought a house then the mortgage thing is all behind me now, My kids have both worked hard to buy houses, I really feel for anyone starting out on the housing ladder.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Having a very active mind that simply won’t switch off when you’re seemingly relaxing.... Truly relaxing is hard to do.

Totally agree with that. I still find it almost impossible unless I'm abroad, away from home.

Oddly enough I'm thinking about yoga when my back recovers from injury. I'm 50 now and getting out of bed like a man who's just been shot these days.

Back on track to the thread though - [MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] - if you've admitted to your foibles then you're half way to batting them out of the ground. I think most of us have been in situations where we feel helpless and frustrated, for many reasons. Things always have a tendency to work out, and especially so if you're proactive like yourself and want to make things happen.

Much as I'd like to insert the CD up his arse, Ronan Keating was right when he said "Life is a Rollercoaster". :annoyed:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Well yes, that is true. But you can live in a really, REALLY nice area, for the price of what would be one of the least nice areas in Sussex.

Around here you can get a decent house for around £200k in what is a lovely area - and Leeds is a fantastic city now.

Admittedly the same house would be around £100k in the less nice areas.
Yes Leeds is a great city - all it needs now is a decent football team!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
those houses didnt go anywhere, theres people living in them.

Fair point, but the people in them aren't helping those who need them, they're spunking the profit in the Ute/bling car sales yard

I do like a sweeping generalisation :lolol:

TBH, If the T***es had built some new houses with the proceeds and just given some of the money to their mates we wouldn't be in this mess, but no, thats not proper capitalism.

SPongy - being able to switch off and or wind down without 'assistance' is perfectly normal . . . . There can't be many here who don't use something after a long/hard/bad or even good day. This is my third dry January and I needed it . . . Drinkings probably worse than most of the other stuff but it's 'socially acceptable' even encouraged. . . . . Without smoking, CBD oil may be a good way to wind down sensibly . . . My brothers tried it and rated it. I'm still guilty of starting small fires in a rizla from time to time. :whistle:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
There are thousands of houses going up at 4 sites on the periphery of Faversham. Big houes, small windows, tiny gardens. There is no accompanying infrastructure. So far, one Lidl. The trains to London are crowded (outside of Covid) and slow. Much worse than when I moved here 30 years ago.

Easing planning restrictions further would simply hasten the ghettoisation of the nation. Cram them in and let them queue for everything. In the attached there is one road in and out of each estate and it is a 30 minute walk to the station. A drive to the station in rush hour, 30 minutes. There is very little public transport down here. The estates look quite nice, but....

Meanwhile the palaver I had getting permission to build an extension at the back of my house (that is not overlooked). Why?

What the nation needs is proper planning. Instead we have ****wits managing a racket.

View attachment 132644

This is the town where I grew up. Still as lovely as ever :facepalm:

View attachment 132645

You obviously never offered a big enough back handed Harry

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Hope things turn round for you, spongy. I can't relate to housing problems but I've been in terrible depression before where I had distressing thoughts about ways out of anguish and grief.

Stay strong pal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here