[Albion] Im going to have nightmares about this tonight...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The consensus on here is that we aren't creating as many chances as last season. I suspect that is correct, but if anyone has got the stats I'd be interested to see them.

But last season we were also moaning about giving the ball away too easily. Maybe our possession based football (63% yesterday, albeit with no end result) is a reaction to that very problem. We don't give the ball away as often these days, and a byproduct of that might be that we don't create as many chances as we used to, because our first priority is to keep the ball, the assumption presumably being that the less the opposition have the ball, the less they're going to hurt us. We got hit on the break yesterday, but over a season, I would suggest that the assumption is probably correct.

I know we're all miserable at the defeat, but we're a work in progress. And Bozza, we're still above Palace.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
How many teams spent less than £50m, in the last window?
While routinely spending around that amount in every Summer window.

The league table every season is pretty much the same order as the size of each teams wage bill. There’s always the odd anomaly (e.g. when Leicester won the league) but it is very hard to finish above teams who have better players on much higher salaries.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Sod the lack of chances created we were within 10mins of getting a point at a hyped up Villa Park. I dont know if taking Lamptey off was tactical or Potter was protecting him. Whichever his only possible replacement had to be Veltman so he could do what he has done well many times and protect right side from quick breaks. Could understand Maupay coming on but not for Lamtey. The worst sub Potter has ever made that cost us a point against a side who up until then never looked like scoring

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The league table every season is pretty much the same order as the size of each teams wage bill. There’s always the odd anomaly (e.g. when Leicester won the league) but it is very hard to finish above teams who have better players on much higher salaries.

Teams with smaller budgets don't seem to have any problem finishing above the Albion.

Anyway this isn't (or at least shouldn't be) about how much you've got but what you do with it.

The club have blindly trudged through 9 transfer windows spending all it's money on players to make the strikers prolific.

But spent a small fraction of that money on 1 (one) fit and available striker who now can't even get in the starting XI.

Ryanb

Oct 20, 2021
Sadly, I’m reconciled to it.

This squad and the manager need to get a serious sense of Carpe Diem rather than strolling around handing out points like confetti to teams that previously couldn’t win a ****ing raffle.

No bad luck. No outrageous XG anomaly. Just too much mediocrity and nobody to blame but ourselves.

get a grip! one defeat to a team with new manager bounce. have you looked at the table. Idiot!

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Indeed. Any Villa fan buzzing from yesterday should take their victory as a sign of pending relegation. If you beat us, you’re probably going to be in the bottom 6.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Teams with smaller budgets don't seem to have any problem finishing above the Albion.

Anyway this isn't (or at least shouldn't be) about how much you've got but what you do with it.

The club have blindly trudged through 9 transfer windows spending all it's money on players to make the strikers prolific.

But spent a small fraction of that money on 1 (one) fit and available striker who now can't even get in the starting XI.

Must have imagined we bought Andone and Locadia during that time, just turns out they were both duds..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Must have imagined we bought Andone and Locadia during that time, just turns out they were both duds..

But since then have bought:-

Lamptey
Cucu
Trossard
Enock
Moder
(bought over) MacAllister
The first team player I've forgotten
Numerous expensive similar positioned kids now out on loan.

Lallana free but earning a tidy sum
&
unWelbeck because nobody else wanted him

What's that £70m - £80m, all to make Maupay look good.

That'll be the Maupay who doesn't get selected and clearly doesn't even have 1 replacement in the entire squad.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Since Danny Welbeck went off injured in the draw with Palace, we've drawn with Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal, Norwich and Newcastle. The only team to beat us in seven weeks before today was Man city. Hardly reason to start panicking.

But it is time for the club to sort out a suitable back up.

Thankfully Welbeck is back in training.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Who ? (edit...i looked it up )

In 2018/19 - the wages total was this.

brightonwages.jpg

In 2019/20 it was this

wages.jpg

Teams with smaller budgets than Albion pretty much er, get relegated and only 1-2 finish ever finish/above/around us.

via http://priceoffootball.com/brighton-2019-20-reel-around-the-fountain/

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The consensus on here is that we aren't creating as many chances as last season. I suspect that is correct, but if anyone has got the stats I'd be interested to see them.

But last season we were also moaning about giving the ball away too easily. Maybe our possession based football (63% yesterday, albeit with no end result) is a reaction to that very problem. We don't give the ball away as often these days, and a byproduct of that might be that we don't create as many chances as we used to, because our first priority is to keep the ball, the assumption presumably being that the less the opposition have the ball, the less they're going to hurt us. We got hit on the break yesterday, but over a season, I would suggest that the assumption is probably correct.

I know we're all miserable at the defeat, but we're a work in progress. And Bozza, we're still above Palace.

Looking at how many goals they are scoring that could easily change soon.

We did give the ball away several times yesterday with multiple passes straight to a defender in their half.
We also had some great crosses but to nobody in the box. (Our main presence there)

Just imagine if we had a player like Watkins.

Also having watched the MOTD Chelsea goals, it shows what really good delivery can do when you see Rüdiger's header. We never try that.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Every time people start talking about finishing above Palace, this happens. Every single time.

Honestly we ought to just start talking about how we’ll never finish above them again. It’s the only way to break the curse.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Between 7th and 16th there is a difference of a win and a draw. All the teams are incredibly matched in that area. We need to buck up our ideas or we will be roaming around the bottom end of the league. Our form in the last 5 games matches Newcastle at the bottom. Leeds game is going to be a big one for us to get a bit of confidence back into the squad.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But since then have bought:-

Lamptey
Cucu
Trossard
Enock
Moder
(bought over) MacAllister
The first team player I've forgotten
Numerous expensive similar positioned kids now out on loan.

Lallana free but earning a tidy sum
&
unWelbeck because nobody else wanted him

What's that £70m - £80m, all to make Maupay look good.

That'll be the Maupay who doesn't get selected and clearly doesn't even have 1 replacement in the entire squad.

It’s not just outlay, it’s salary. My understanding is TB has a very tight rein on salaries and not breaking a salary structure. We might be able to afford a Callum Wilson on fee, but it breaks our salary structure on contract. Even the likes of Josh King would likely end up our highest paid player. That’s why we find it so hard to sign a competitive part proven striker. All those players you mention we can fit within a set pay structure. I think that’s why it’s been the same for 9 windows or whatever you said; this is how the club is being run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports