Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm drinking Sherry!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
One of the massive pluses of living out here is that I've developed a real taste for chilled Fino, especially served with some green olives and a side of jamon pata negra, so no, your life isn't over although drinking it at 1 am sounds as though you may have been doing a bit of minesweeping?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I went to a free sherry tasting at the foodie festival on the seafront in May. Some of the really dry stuff is good but very hard to get in the UK i believe.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Next step, a nice Port

My Christmas treat for myself this year... Apparently 2011 was the best year for port in ages - I CANNOT wait!

image.jpg

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I went to a free sherry tasting at the foodie festival on the seafront in May. Some of the really dry stuff is good but very hard to get in the UK i believe.

Not really - any supermarket will have at least one fino or manzanilla and they're all pretty drinkable. They need to be really cold and ideally consumed with salty food.

Independent wine merchants often make a big thing about sherry and the range of flavours and styles is generally broader.

Given the work that goes into producing sherry, it is without question the best value fine wine you can buy.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Very underrated drink, sherry. Drink it like the Spanish do: cold and as an aperitif, preferably on a warm day and it's very nice. Warm like the old ladies do, not so much.

The tour of the Tio Pepe bodega in Jerez is excellent btw. The whole place reaks of the stuff; you're slavering like a bloodhound for a glass of it by the end.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not really - any supermarket will have at least one fino or manzanilla and they're all pretty drinkable. They need to be really cold and ideally consumed with salty food.

Independent wine merchants often make a big thing about sherry and the range of flavours and styles is generally broader.

Given the work that goes into producing sherry, it is without question the best value fine wine you can buy.
Thanks. I understand it should he chilled and disposed of within a couple of weeks of opening. .. but most pubs keep it on a shelf for years.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I like sherry. Only ever drink sherry and smoke a cigar at xmas so it makes me feel all christmassy

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks. I understand it should he chilled and disposed of within a couple of weeks of opening. .. but most pubs keep it on a shelf for years.

That's because nobody buys it in a pub, I dread to think of how old the Cinzano Bianco is in most boozers, the best before date is probably in latin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here