Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm being lazy....

Own Goals Galore

Sep 28, 2011
But only caught snipets of the commentary and Gus's interview and can't be arsed to read thru all the threads. Was it all the refs fault? Who played well? Any of the usual suspects have a shocker? Were we out classed? Were the tactics wrong?

From what I heard Gus seemed to think we were well in it and doing OK until 55th min. Fair enough? If so I don't think we should be too down on overselves.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Heres some stats from the BBC.

Fouls
Saints 14
Brighton 9

Cards
Southampton 2 Yellow
Brighton 5 Yellow 1 Red

Does that look normal to you?

Own Goals Galore

Sep 28, 2011
Yeah I get what you are saying. Ref is a red and white. I think that was what Gus was implying and obvious why Tano lost it. But is it fair to say we were in it until the sending off/pen?

Gus seemed happy with first half.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The ref gave one of the worst penalty decisions of all time for 2-0.
But it would have needed a radically improved performance from 1. the rest of today's game and 2. recent weeks for us to have got anything even without that. So no I wouldn't say it was all the refs fault, even though he's a colossal twat.

Problem is we're creating nothing and we've got too many passengers in our team. It's early for Billy Paynter but he looks bad. Harley has been a massive disappointment and offers nothing. Navarro isn't much at Championship level. Noone works hard and it's exciting when he uses his quick feet, his name is very easy to sing, he had a spell where he was excellent but he's been between average and crap for quite a while now and no one has mentioned it really. We desperately need more creativity and strength in midfield (he's a dickhead but Chaplow is exactly the kind of player we need, as he has both sides, compared to Harley who has neither at the moment), and some better support for CMS. We had Sparrow coming off the bench at 2-0 a player who struggled to make an impact for us in League One.

Gus makes some odd selections at times, for example bringing back Painter and switching Taricco to rightback, dropping Calde, what did that achieve when both Tano and Calde played well in the last game? It may seem a minor thing but for me Calde is better than Painter going forward and as good defensively, we missed that today when the fullbacks had space but could do nothing with it.

The first half was even, we played alright, we defended quite well. I've read some people on here say we set up for a draw, I don't think so, we went forward as much as they did although they did look a bit more dangerous with it. But it was scrappy really. I don't want to seem like I'm giving us no credit for anything but Southampton were playing 40+ yard bals to nobody that were going out for throws under no pressure. I know they're top but they probably don't play well all the time and they probably just didn't play that well in the first half.

Then they came out and scored just after half time. It reminded me of Leicester, both the time and manner of the goal. To concede like that just after half time seems extremely sloppy to me. Then the ref went mad but the way we've played really since the Leeds game we wouldn't have gotten anything anyway.

Ok, rant over. :lolol:

A positive, Southampton only had two chances really, discounting the cheated penalties. One was the goal, one saved well by Harper from Lambert at 1 or 2-0.

I think things will get better if we can get and keep players fit. Jara and Buckley in particualr, and Hoskins but I don't know because I've not even seen the guy yet whether he can really help us. If we can't do that, well we'll probably beat the likes of Coventry and Barnsley at home but it's hard to see us beating anyone half decent at the moment.

Hope that answers your question. :moo:

Own Goals Galore

Sep 28, 2011
Yes it answers it very well. Thanks mate.

I think your right in many respects... Harley, jury is out, I want him to prove us all wrong but he plays in such a pivotal position for us that it he doesn't pull something out of the bag soon his days will be numbered. CMS is in desperate need of support. I have been hoping Hoskins is the man as heard good things about him, but so far I think I have seen 20 mins and we stuck him out wide for a bit of that.

The Calde thing is a bit of a mistery. I thought he did well in our last game and deffo a better player than Painter.

Again you are right about Buckley and Jara. Also is Vicente and Hoskins can get games under their belt and Harper extends the deal then it will improve our strength of squad.

Thanks for the summary

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
Yeah I get what you are saying. Ref is a red and white. I think that was what Gus was implying and obvious why Tano lost it. But is it fair to say we were in it until the sending off/pen?

Gus seemed happy with first half.

You're way off the mark here. We've had Peter Walton before and he was every bit as shocking then as he was today. He wasn't being biased, he genuinely is just the worst referee in professional football.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We know for a fact Referee's make errors but you will never ever hear me blame them,any football fan truly knows we will get the rub of the green at some stages throughout the season to balance things out,if they are honest with themselves.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Heres some stats from the BBC.

Fouls
Saints 14
Brighton 9

Cards
Southampton 2 Yellow
Brighton 5 Yellow 1 Red

Does that look normal to you?

Brghton fouls 8 yellow cards 5
Leeds fouls 18 yellow cards 5

Birmingham 16 fouls 1 yellow
Brighton 13 fouls 2 yellow

Brighton fouls 12 yellows 4
West Ham fouls 11 yellows 1

Yes, it looks pretty normal for this season, in that normal for this season seems to be an imbalance in fouls:yellow cards ratio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here