Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm a JCL plastic fan...

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Confused of Worthing on 2 counts:

1. Where do I come in the Hierarchy?, positives, I was at Hereford, 83 Liverpool, Newcastle, Semi and Final, 79 Newcastle, Play off finals, STO at Gillingham and Withdean, did 22 away games last year and reckon I have done 48 years of watching over 1000 BHA games.............but I am a 1901 member which I assume puts me down the pecking order.

2.JCL's, is what the club is all about, getting new supporters, surely that is what we want. Tell me how Palace will fill there new 40,000 stadium ?, with a fan base of about 12-15k now, yes JCL's

Welcome mate and enjoy.....

Football

Oct 25, 2011
Welcome. Undoubtedly there are a few (and they've said as much on here) who don't actually like what the club has become and the way it's going. Some have said we've 'lost something' going to the Amex and others genuinely preferred it when we were a two-bob Noddy club playing in front of 5-6000 at shitty old Withdean. Those people are never going to welcome you and are best just ignored. Others may have taken their frustration at our recent run out on 'bloody JCLs' - although quite what peoples' history has got to do with the recent slump is anybody's guess. Put that down to frustration. Also there IS a group of uberfans who think that just because they've been to every game home and away since 1990 that makes them 'better' fans than everybody else. Don't worry about them, they don't like the rest of us either!

Just out of interest - who were you supporting when we played Sunderland in the League Cup?

Sunderland - Interesting to see the NS from the other end...

Football

Oct 25, 2011
Sadly I think you have mistaken the vocal opinions of a small minoity as the views of the majority of Albion fans. This has been covered many times on NSC - you're very welcome as far as me - and many others - are concerned.

Fair play and cheers - spose every club/ board has it's arses..

Football

Oct 25, 2011
I have to say that he has a point. Fighting against modern football is what it's all about surely.

I personally support old football with stuff like Jimmy Hill and Brian Moore on a Sunday and the 1970 World Cup.

We need to support old football more and show this new football that it's shorts need to be longer and the ball should knock you out if you head the thing from a clearance.

Also more mud on the pitches and players coming on the pitch pissed and smoking fags at half time. Fighting in the stands and throwing hats in the air, too.

Is that the same Jimmy Hill that started the outragous wages for players back in the day?

Football

Oct 25, 2011

1. Where do I come in the Hierarchy?, positives, I was at Hereford, 83 Liverpool, Newcastle, Semi and Final, 79 Newcastle, Play off finals, STO at Gillingham and Withdean, did 22 away games last year and reckon I have done 48 years of watching over 1000 BHA games.............but I am a 1901 member which I assume puts me down the pecking order.

2.JCL's, is what the club is all about, getting new supporters, surely that is what we want. Tell me how Palace will fill there new 40,000 stadium ?, with a fan base of about 12-15k now, yes JCL's

Welcome mate and enjoy.....

Palace won't! Remember going with my Da when I was about 8 and some chav basically starting on my Da for no reason. Looting scumbags :)

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I'm a JCL plastic too.

I couldn't give a shit what anybody else thinks.

My son (who was born in Brighton) already has a season ticket, is obsessed with the Albion and is convinced he's going to play for them when he's older.

The JCL/plastic tag is just a lazy way for people to criticise others. I sing the songs, cheer the good bits, groan at the bad bits and guess what? I don't leave my seat early....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
yes im 4 real we need 2 fight agnst modern football ther killin it

You're killing the English language, perhaps if only Brighton residents can support the club then only people that can spell and have grammar should be allowed to type/write... deal?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

That's a tough one ... you've completely buggered the stereotype ...now you're in for it :eek:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm afraid there is a clear hierarchy. That's just the way it is. At the top: fans who "were at Hereford". That trumps all else. After that it is a mix of fans who went to Gillingham every week (they do deserve some credit to be fair), fans who go to all the away games (but not the home ones- not hard core enough) and fans who can remember the 1970s. I went to the Withdean so am a third tier fan, then come the JCLs. You are ahead of the 1901 club and anyone who leaves early so it is not all bad.

We still want your money though. Please stick with it.

And in all seriousness- thank you and well done. When you have kids bring them as well. Don't let anyone put you off renewing next season- we need to sell out even when the novelty has passed.

And, in 20 years time, remember how you feel now.

I'm pleased to see I'm top of this hierachy! But then I've always known being at Hereford and amongst the lowest ever gillingham attendance was a (perverse) badge of honour. Still, us uber-fans :) welcome all JCLs (which are not to be confused with JCL-wannabees which are a totally different category altogether). Providing they stick with us through the thin that will inevitably follow present thick. Because, heaven forbid, if we ever end up playing in the bottom division again, the fact it'll be in the AMEX means newer fans just won't know they're born because they never lived and followed the Albion through 1996-1999 (shudders at the dark memories...). That was quite simply, our 1940-43. It's hard to appreciate unless you lived through it how close to extinction we came, how bad things were, how hopeless the situation seemed. No one, yet, has come as close and that includes Pompey and Plymouth (though the latter are running us close, they still have their ground).

Puts all the moaning about a few indifferent results in the SECOND tier into perspective eh?! Now, what's all the fuss about...? :)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Would you rather I went down the pub and spent my money watching the "big 4?" Can't stand the crap I'm hearing, I'm not from Brighton and frankly travelling to Sunderland week in week out just isn't an option (£££). So I buy a ST, watch the local team only to find nob ends at the ground and on the forums bitching like a bunch of inbreds about not being "proper" fans!! Get with it or alienate any future fans...

Some of the criticism is ridiculous, I'll give you that. I certainly can't get too excited about people sitting down late etc.

But I would say this to you, if you are a passionate Sunderland fan as seems to be the case. If you were sat at the Stadium of Light in a big game against Newcastle say, in a block where most of the others were politely clapping occasionally, not singing or getting involved but chatting, taking photos, didn't know any players, asking which team was in red and white stripes...you see where I'm going with this, don't you? It would be a very different watching experience, something I am used to only when in the family stand area. I'm not saying that those fans wouldn't turn out to be very good fans in the long run. But in the bedding-in period this season it can be a bit, well, tame.

And I completely agree with you that the leaving early isn't a JCL issue, though it wasn't AS bad last night anyway.

Last edited:

Jun 18, 2011
tunbridge wells
Genuinely have always followed whatever local team where I live and TBF have had some good craic at the Amex already. The wifes expecting and I'll bring the boy when he gets old enough. Just got well hacked off with the Sky armchair guys moaning about people leaving. I didn't leave early but it just got blamed on the "JCL's." I'm sure a fair few "hardcore" left early aswell... I'll renew next year, then maybe I'll get to dish out the JCL shit!

respect to you mate for following the albion! Wouldnt worry this is my first ever season ticket but have been going since 1987 what does this make me? a Johnny Kinda Always Been Around? up the albion!!:thumbsup:

Football

Oct 25, 2011
Some of the criticism is ridiculous, I'll give you that. I certainly can't get too excited about people sitting down late etc.

But I would say this to you, if you are a passionate Sunderland fan as seems to be the case. If you were sat at the Stadium of Light in a big game against Newcastle say, in a block where most of the others were politely clapping occasionally, not singing or getting involved but chatting, taking photos, didn't know any players, asking which team was in red and white stripes...you see where I'm going with this, don't you? It would be a very different watching experience, something I am used to only when in the family stand area. I'm not saying that those fans wouldn't turn out to be very good fans in the long run. But in the bedding-in period this season it can be a bit, well, tame.

And I completely agree with you that the leaving early isn't a JCL issue, though it wasn't AS bad last night anyway.

Good post - can see you're point. I think this is across the whole football world tho. At the SOL its only really the SW corner who sing all game. Amex has the NS. I'd put this down to the high pricing / high police football culture we have in the UK.

Maybe the real JCL's are from middle class middle aged men who can afford the prices and in general don't sing.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
That's a tough one ... you've completely buggered the stereotype ...now you're in for it :eek:

Oh my God that's two of us now then and i travel a 2000 mile round trip now to see my beloved Brighton at home ..... I welcome any new supporter who really and truly wants to give Brighton their support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here